P2V+ v3.0 won't hover, motors hot

Reaction score
I bought a used P2V+ v3.0 about three weeks ago, used. The owner gave me a demo, and everything was fine.

Before I flew it when I got home, I saw the thread about the v3.0 motor wires and the v2.0 ESC's. I checked mine, and it had the thin wire motors and v2.0 ESC's. I didn't fly it, and instead ordered v2.1 ESC's. I installed those, and replaced the thin motor wires with 18 AWG stranded.

I've run the bird without props in the house to check things out, and everything has been fine.

Today I took it out to a field to test it. I removed the working gimbal and replaced it with a non-working one I've used before on my P2V+ v2.0. The ribbon cable is disconnected at the roll and tilt motor boards, and the camera board.

I had already calibrated the IMU last night on my pool table. I calibrated the compass before takeoff.

It wouldn't hover, but instead was drifting all over, side to side, forward and back, and up and down. After I landed it, I felt the motors, and they were almost too hot to touch. There was a bit of a breeze, but it wasn't fighting a stiff wind.

Any ideas what this might be? I didn't think to try a different battery, although I don't know how that would affect this.

MokLeg having problems soldering the motor wire they wont take any solder?

All of the solder joints are fine. I got new coax cable (18 AWG stranded core) and re-did all of the solder joints.

The wind speed may be a bit more than what the weather channel is saying. I'd say it's more like 20 mph.

I've checked the IMU again. I also started the bird in the house and let it run for several minutes while I tilted it in various directions to run the motors at varying speeds. Motors are as cool as can be.

I never had hot motors on my P2V+ v2.0.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid after watching videos and reading threads about Phantoms falling out of the sky.

Proper hovering is based on IMU calibration and a good compass calibration. But then you must have 6 or more satellites and home lock to get proper hovering stability. Without the satellites she can slide around trying to jockey for positioning so to speak.

IMU has been calibrated twice, and I calibrate the compass before each flight session. I'm getting 8-9 satellites and see the home lock light.

I'm going to head out to the field now to try again. I just wish I could have a perfectly calm day to test. Wind is maybe 5-10 mph.

Give us an update, won't be able to nap till we get the results. Be sure and check the motor after flight to see how hot they are.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20