P2V v3.0 with iPad ground station? Confirm?- IS CONFIRMED!

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the Phantom Vision with the new 3.0 firmware update will work with the can-bus adaptor and the IPad Bluetooth Ground station software? I saw a post on the DJI Facebook page where a guy in china i believe got this to work but there is not enough info in the video. I know there is a can-bus port on the vision that requires a certain adaptor, but was told in previous versions that it was disabled.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/phot...www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=871384972888672/ [url] [url=https://www.facebook.c...ww.facebook.com/p2vision/photo ... 2/?type=1/ If this is possible then maybe th... the gimbal or the bluetooth waypoint system.

Re: P2V v3.0 with iPad ground station? Confirm?

macuser13 said:
Can anyone confirm that the Phantom Vision with the new 3.0 firmware update will work with the can-bus adaptor and the IPad Bluetooth Ground station software? I saw a post on the DJI Facebook page where a guy in china i believe got this to work but there is not enough info in the video. I know there is a can-bus port on the vision that requires a certain adaptor, but was told in previous versions that it was disabled.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/phot...www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=871384972888672/ [url] [url=https://www.facebook.c...ww.facebook.com/p2vision/photo ... 2/?type=1/ If this is possible then maybe th...ill not work with GroundStation... -slinger

Yeah I knew the updated app was coming out (whenever that may be lol) but I just didn't know if anyone else had tried this. If the 3.0v had a loop hole or of DJI enabled this port for some other means. If I had all the right hardware i.e. Ground station and can-bus adaptor, I would try this myself. Just like me, I know everyone is patiently waiting for some sort of release on any means of waypoint support. I'm currently working on building a camera gimbal for the vision, since there seems to be no update from the vision+ for us vision users. So i will build and modify whatever it takes to get something to work.

I've heard mixed reports about how functional things like the zenmuse port and the can bus are on the P2V main board. The problem is if you buy a load of kit and it doesn't work, you're down on the deal. If you buy the kit and it works then DJI release the app update for free, you're down on the deal. Plus the app works with android, GS is iOS only.

We're still within the timescale DJI gave (4 weeks after the P2 update) so I'd hang back, personally - unless you've got a P2 you could stick it into if you find it didn't work with the Vision.

So just to let everyone know that it has been CONFIRMED that the Can-bus port allows the Ground Station system to work on the P2V. Now you will have to buy the hardware but i know some already have it. The only thing else you will have to get is the Can-Bus adaptor from the mainboard to the 2.4 data link. The guy said he will open an ebay store for the adaptor if you cant seem to find one. Ill provide the link once i get more info.

Re: P2V v3.0 with iPad ground station? Confirm?- IS CONFIRME

Even if it "works" - will the Wi-Fi and the extra 2.4Ghz data link interfere with each other?

GS works with P2V if you add the datalink and can bus adapter cable.

zenith said:

You've done this successfully, or know someone who has?

Thanks...
-slinger

If there is a Vision app update for waypoint flying, it will probably be for the P2V+ only. OR, we will have to wait for the P3 next fall or winter. I hope I'm wrong.

Reposting what I posted last week....

http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12816

So I got my iPad Ground Station on Monday and figured out very quickly that the P2V had no visible CANBUS port. Sighs.... Then found out I did not need to by the Ground Station as the P2V is just waiting for DJI to drop a software update. So i did some digging.... and found the P2V dose have a CANBUS port on the MC.... but how to get it to plug into a standard CANBUS plug... well it seem there is a replacement part for the P2 called PHANTOM 2 PART 2 CAN MODULE. it is a a new landng skid with a CANBUS port on it and a cable to plug in to the CAN port on the MC..... Not really knowing if it would actually work, I ordered it two days ago should be here tomorrow..... It my understanding that with the last software update the CANBUS Port on the P2V's MC was made active. this allowing the use of the Ground Station with the P2V... Well im hoping but it looks like is plaseable... Not sure how it will work ill know better when the mail come tomarrow... Ill keep you posted on what I find.

UPDATE: It worked just fine. No comm issue.... I fit the datalink right next to the naza box and run the antennas down the landing skids legs in the back. It a nice tight fit.... ill takes some pic and post later.

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

PHANTOM 2 PART 2 CAN MODUL -http://1uas.com/Phantom-2-Part-2-CAN-Module?search=Phantom+2+Part+2+CAN+Module

I sorry if i didnt see your post last week. I do so much bouncing around on sites looking at different setups and finding solutions to my problems lol One of them being me wanting ground station to work unlike many. I have seen that new landing gear setup and just thought it was for the previous Phantoms. Thanks for reposting and sharing information. I just had a feeling it would all work. So with that said it looks like ordering parts is in the near future. Yeah i could wait for the "App" if DJI would just release it. How long is that going to take you know? They haven't had much reputation when it comes to releasing new updates.

If this interferes with the camera i guess that wouldnt surprise me tho. but DJI had to have some explanation on why they went ahead and enabled the port with the new firmware knowing that it could cause problems.

Also having ground station on the iphone doesn't sound to appealing. Iv tried the blown up way on the Ipad and it degrades the quality. So unless DJI provides the Ground station IPAD app for the Vision and + users, using the bluetooth module still seem to be the way to go. I have almost considered in getting the PC version to have the ability to do photo mapping for hi-res images.

Again thank you all for the post and helping with the confirming of the P2V 3.0 with can-bus support

gunslinger said:
zenith said:

Thanks...
-slinger
I have done it with the P2V
It works but there may be a conflict between the Wifi and Datalink as they both work on 2.4Ghz.
They both work when it is near but initial tests show that one will disconnect as the P2V goes further. The P2V flies fine and will continue it's mission if either loses connection tho.

I'm trying photo mapping with it but the P2V camera's quality isn't good enough. I'm going to take it out and mount a compact camera instead. It's a bit worrying flying blind and trusting the PC GS app but wifi doesn't go that far anyway.

zenith said:
gunslinger said:
zenith said:

Thanks...
-slinger
I have done it with the P2V
It works but there may be a conflict between the Wifi and Datalink as they both work on 2.4Ghz.
They both work when it is near but initial tests show that one will disconnect as the P2V goes further. The P2V flies fine and will continue it's mission if either loses connection tho.

I'm trying photo mapping with it but the P2V camera's quality isn't good enough. I'm going to take it out and mount a compact camera instead. It's a bit worrying flying blind and trusting the PC GS app but wifi doesn't go that far anyway.

Hi Zenith. I'm thinking of doing this mod to my P2+. I removed the camera and gimbal in an accident with a basketball hoop (learning to fly), and will be installing a Canon Powershot A 2400 IS, pointing straight down for aerial mapping.

I am a bit worried about the 2.4Ghz conflict, but as I no longer have a the camera and gimbal (see below), and will have no need for telemetry (Ground Station provides telemetry) I should be able to deactivate the 2.4 Ghz WiFi? How would I do this, or do I even need to?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 565

wharfbanger said:
Hi Zenith. I'm thinking of doing this mod to my P2+. I removed the camera and gimbal in an accident with a basketball hoop (learning to fly), and will be installing a Canon Powershot A 2400 IS, pointing straight down for aerial mapping.

I am a bit worried about the 2.4Ghz conflict, but as I no longer have a the camera and gimbal (see below), and will have no need for telemetry (Ground Station provides telemetry) I should be able to deactivate the 2.4 Ghz WiFi? How would I do this, or do I even need to?

Thanks,
Mark
Hi! Glad there someone also into aerial mapping. I believe the Plus's wifi module is inside the shell. Maybe you can disconnect the connector? Otherwise, I can only suggest you test the ground station by slowly flying it further and further away to see if it causes any issues. The phantom will still continue it's mission if the datalink connection is broken. However if not connected, you will need to use the controller to land it as the phantom won't go home after the mission is complete.

zenith said:
wharfbanger said:

Thanks,
Mark
Hi! Glad there someone also into aerial mapping. I believe the Plus's wifi module is inside the shell. Maybe you can disconnect the connector? Otherwise, I can only suggest you test the ground station by slowly flying it further and further away to see if it causes any issues. The phantom will still continue it's mission if the datalink connection is broken. However if not connected, you will need to use the controller to land it as the phantom won't go home after the mission is complete.

I see - good point. I'll keep you posted. Just thinking, I could also try to disconnect the WiFi antenna on the Phantom, but not sure where this is.

I have bought the Canon, just need the Datalink, Can Bus and a system for mounting the camera. Hopefully in the next week or so. Off-topic, but what software are you using for post processing? I am interested in 3-D maps (DSM) so have been paying with this freeware:

http://flightriot.com/tutorials/post-process-tutorials/

Cheers,
Mark

The waypoints function for the Vision range should be out within the next 7 days apparently. I would hold off buying any extra hardware until you've seen what that does, then if you want/need the full functions in the standalone Ground Station you can buy the bits the P2 flyers need...

Pull_Up said:
The waypoints function for the Vision range should be out within the next 7 days apparently. I would hold off buying any extra hardware until you've seen what that does, then if you want/need the full functions in the standalone Ground Station you can buy the bits the P2 flyers need...

Yes - UAV outlet apparently does not ship the Datalink and Can Bus bits to NZ anyway..8-/.

Very keen on the Photogrammetry Tool in the full standalone PC version of Ground Station. But I may be able to use the tool to plan the flight, then just copy in the Waypoints manually using the yet-to-be released App. In the meanwhile it would be great to hear a bit more about how the Datalink performs with the Vision...

wharfbanger said:
Pull_Up said:

Yes - UAV outlet apparently does not ship the Datalink and Can Bus bits to NZ anyway..8-/.

Very keen on the Photogrammetry Tool in the full standalone PC version of Ground Station. But I may be able to use the tool to plan the flight, then just copy in the Waypoints manually using the yet-to-be released App. In the meanwhile it would be great to hear a bit more about how the Datalink performs with the Vision...
I won't just disconnect the Wifi antenna. You might burn out the module. There's a big metallic box just under the shell. I believe that controls the gimbal and the wifi. Try disconnecting the cables to that. I currently have a s100 directly mounted onto the legs but the vibrations are making the images blurry. I am trying to fabricate some sort of mount with vibration dampeners but still haven't come out with any ideas. The processing software I'm using is Agisoft Photoscan.

There are a few dealers in Australia who might ship you the parts but I'm surprised that there aren't any DJI dealers in NZ. My local store has an online shop and he will probably ship the parts to you.

zenith said:
wharfbanger said:
Pull_Up said:

I won't just disconnect the Wifi antenna. You might burn out the module. There's a big metallic box just under the shell. I believe that controls the gimbal and the wifi. Try disconnecting the cables to that. I currently have a s100 directly mounted onto the legs but the vibrations are making the images blurry. I am trying to fabricate some sort of mount with vibration dampeners but still haven't come out with any ideas. The processing software I'm using is Agisoft Photoscan.

There are a few dealers in Australia who might ship you the parts but I'm surprised that there aren't any DJI dealers in NZ. My local store has an online shop and he will probably ship the parts to you.

Thanks Zenith. I am going to wait another week to see if the Waypoints App materializes. BTW have you seen the universal dampened mount?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9796&p=122814#p122814

I have just bought one of these so my 140 gram Canon is dampened, balanced, and can point straight down (all in theory - yet to try it!). The supplier has a heavier duty version available for cameras up to 390g.

Cheers,
Mark

wharfbanger said:
Thanks Zenith. I am going to wait another week to see if the Waypoints App materializes. BTW have you seen the universal dampened mount?

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 14#p122814

I have just bought one of these so my 140 gram Canon is dampened, balanced, and can point straight down (all in theory - yet to try it!). The supplier has a heavier duty version available for cameras up to 390g.

Cheers,
Mark
So far there isn't any straightforward way to transfer the waypoints from the PC GS to the Ipad GS. I connect both the PC GS and the Ipad GS at the same time. The WP will only show up in the ipad after I click "Go" on the PC GS. By then, the Phantom would be on it's way to perform the mission already. The PC app sometimes crashes or unable to connect, not sure if it's due to the ipad being connected also, but the ipad app has never crashed on me. I'm trying to use the phantom to trigger the camera automatically but need to look for some additional parts. It's now just automatically capturing pictures every 2-5 seconds.

I am not really fond of importing as the postage usually costs too much, have to deal with customs and will take a month at least on normal postage. I found a one of these and might try to mount it onto my phantom.
918braketwhitenonsharp.png
It weighs about 70 grams. It gives me lots of room to access the camera settings but it also protrudes below the original landing gears. Alternatively, I managed to find one of these too
410wn-VUuJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but not sure how sturdy it is.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20