P2V unstable and eradic

Reaction score
Hello all, this might have been answered before but i will tell my story and what happened ..

Okay so i installed them **** rotor guards on my vision and flew it, it flew great well untill i descended too fast and entered "ring vortex state" this was an uncontrolled descend to the earth where it eventually flipped upside down and landed on on its top onto pavement. Well i didn't have anymore blades to test it after this.

I just got some blades in and gave it a go.. well the thing is extremely unstable and very hard to control even in vision mode with 9 satellites... i just broke 6 blades and have no more until i get 4 more sets here... but the rest of my story...

after the first failed attempt of breaking it i tried to re calibrate the ICU both basic and advanced, and calibrating the compass... same thing.. it really wanted to descend and drift really badly. and when it was in the air it was really wobbley. One other thing is the phone app did a warning at 47% battery which was odd to me.

If anyone can help me out this would be cool, im thinking maybe the compass module is shot but i dont know maybe a motor or two? how do you test motors?

When you connect to the Assistant software, are all IMU & compass values within the acceptable range?

Wanting to drift could be indicative of potential issues with compass and/or IMU, but the wobbling and descending could imply motor or ESC problems. Check the numbers in the Assistant first...

Yeah i plugged it in and checked the references on all of the mod values... I did just put it in nazam mode but i dont have any blades to replace them and try it... as for the crash it was my fault but should warn people of the "ring vortex state" or settling with power... I am going to take it apart tomorrow and look for a c clip off or something abnormal inside but the motors sound ok. I am going to ohm the motors and see if there is a difference.

Well, after 4 motors, 2 gps's (1 was defective from factory), 8 blades, and a compass.... My P2V still does not fly... i feel as if i got ripped off... I sent it to DJI or repair, i hope they dont charge me for repairs as i was in there replacing components... Anywho Good luck anyone that has the same problem i do.

Just curious to see if there are any updates on this? Not quite 8 weeks ago, but figured I'd ask.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

I can relate my experience from yesterday. Thought I'd take a quick flight before work and ended up crashing spectacularly...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFyBMyg3LI[/youtube]

The craft looked okay except for a couple of broken props. That evening, I put on some replacements and thought I'd put her up for a minute just to make sure everything still worked. Much to my disappointment, I couldn't even get off the ground! It just tipped over sideways and broke 2 more props. So I took it inside, hooked it up to the computer and did the IMU calibration (even though it told I didn't need to), and took out the prop balancer (Dubro). Turns out they were all WAY out of balance, so after a half hour or so of sanding and getting them close, took it out again and it took off and flew just fine.

Now these were "aftermarket" off-brand cheapies that I got on e-bay (cheapest I could find), so that may have had something to do with the problem, but I would certainly check this out first if you experience flight problems after prop replacement, before tearing into the innards of the craft. Next time I'm gonna try the DJI replacements and see how they hold up out of the box. Happy Flying!

I have the same philosophy with props as I do with car tyres... as they are the only bit of the vehicle that actually touches the road, I don't buy the cheapest tyres I can find. The props (with motors) are the only thing that generates your lift; the DJI originals are very well made, and they're the only sort in my flight case.

Pull_Up said:
I have the same philosophy with props as I do with car tyres... as they are the only bit of the vehicle that actually touches the road, I don't buy the cheapest tyres I can find. The props (with motors) are the only thing that generates your lift; the DJI originals are very well made, and they're the only sort in my flight case.

...well I hope your props never touch the road. My point is that no matter where you get them from or what brand they are, prop-balance can have a tremendous effect on flight (or lacktherof). With my first replacements (notice the video was titled crash 4), the craft was a bit more unstable and produced wobble pictures. That's when I picked up a balancer and was able to fix the issue. This last time the instability was much more severe, and for a moment I was convinced that my craft was grounded until I saved up a couple hundred bucks and graduated from soldering school. $25 well spent on the Dubro IMO.

rfernandez said:
Top Gun Really!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the thing about having no audio on these files (not that it's a bad thing cause all you hear in the one's that do are a million swarming mosquitos)--you gotta put music something under there! Now Get your butts above the hard-deck and return to base.

jimdenburg said:
Pull_Up said:

...well I hope your props never touch the road. My point is that no matter where you get them from or what brand they are, prop-balance can have a tremendous effect on flight (or lacktherof). With my first replacements (notice the video was titled crash 4), the craft was a bit more unstable and produced wobble pictures. That's when I picked up a balancer and was able to fix the issue. This last time the instability was much more severe, and for a moment I was convinced that my craft was grounded until I saved up a couple hundred bucks and graduated from soldering school. $25 well spent on the Dubro IMO.

,,,that and the OP mentioned they had "just got some blades in and gave it a go.."

jimdenburg said:
Pull_Up said:

I agree, and DJI's are giving great results for most users out of the box. Choice is there: cheap props that you will need to balance, or manufacturer ones that you won't unless you want to get picky. When I did my balancing video I found 50 of my DJI props were perfectly balanced, the rest were only out by a small degree and there wasn't a noticeable performance difference before or after.

As long as people buy the cheap ones knowing they will need a bit of work in all likelihood then that's no problem.

Ahh an update huh? well i sent it back to DJI, i am supposed to get it back here Wednesday, i guess there is a piece of paper that explains what was wrong with it. im assuming it was an ESC that was bad. But i will post on wednesday... and as the prop issues... not an issue, i bought genuine DJI blades and nothing changed it.

Pull_Up said:
When I did my balancing video I found 50 of my DJI props were perfectly balanced,

When I saw that I did a Steve McQueen / Virgil Hilts 'Great Escape' double-take. I said out loud....... "FIFTY?!"

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, see this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d_bJi1c5RY at 0:36 :cool:

Okie dokie, so i got my unit back and it works... yay after a little over 2 months of this thing not working i can actually fly it...

So what DJI said was... "we were able to diagnose the problem as a bad GPS and Main Controller" thats wierd cus i replaced the GPS with a new OEM GPS... further down it says "the barometer in the Main Controller can be affected by variations in barometric pressure (updrafts, cold spots, even wind can affect performance).

So the MC was bad im assuming....

Oh and free of charge to be fixed which is amazing

Soooo here i am flying it the first time... it ran away... luckily i still had partial control and slammed it into the ground.... I was quite pissed but it actually landed in dirt and didnt break any blades... I tried it again and it flew ok but not right... I then tried it indoors and was still not ok... So im showing it to my bosses outside and holy shiat it took off towards their cars and i was like ohhhh **** here we go. i steered it away and crashed it bad like so bad it ejected my camera from the P2V... Well after that crash and a compass calibration it flys like new, I guess it just needed a swift kick in the ***. kinda a funny story now but could of ended very badly

It has been reported in the past that after a knock the IMU can get a bit "stuck". If an IMU calibration doesn't sort things out (after previous "unexpected landings" I have always taken it home and calibrated before flying again) then I have read of people giving the aircraft a sharp smack with their hand, literally to knock the IMU back into shape! Perhaps your "firm arrival" performed this function rather effectively?!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl