P2V suddenly starts to plump

Reaction score
Hi there!

My P2V starts to plump in every flight regardless of the conditions so i think it can't be vrs. If i have enough height (approx. 20m) i can recover it but after the recover it so stop the plump before reach the ground but after it despite the full throttle it is not elevating.
Of course when i notice he starts to going down i give him full throttle and full forward but for that 20m i seems to be ineffective.
Here you can see an example for this( from 3:11):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What can be the problem?

Thank for you input!

I have aftermarket undamaged prop, but i have a china gimball which not configured properly. But the falling effect occurs with the original props also.
Yes it can fly level and can elevate properly.

Here is an another vid (from 6:11-6:18):

Last edited:
I have aftermarket undamaged prop, but i have a china gimball which not configured properly. But the falling effect occurs with the original props also.
Yes it can fly level and can elevate properly.

Here is an another vid (from 6:11-6:18):
Hey Cif,
I think what @cjmwales was refering to about the props is the vibrations that we can see in the video. It loks a lot like to high of gain settings, would you care to tell us more about your setup? What other modifications do you have. Are you in Naza M mode or Phantom mode? How early is your model? Just general things that may help understand. This is something unusual and as far as I can tell, not something obvious since it happens for a short time and you can change the situation (giving full throttle). It also does not seem like a battery failure as the camera keeps recording. Have you had any crashes?

If we had more details we surely can figue this out. Look for one of the more recent threads from @jumper on this board, his vibrations are similar, but no plummeting of the bird. Also China Gimbal, but he had to send his back.

Concerning this
I have aftermarket undamaged prop
I would try OEM props and stay away from those and make sure ya balance them as I've seen to many problems with them concerning vibrations . JMAO

Definitely return to as close to stock condition as possible, props, etc.

Did this begin after or as a result of something else such as adding equipment?

So, i got this one second hand but i'm not sure his previous life, but when i buy it it has already installed with the china gimball and a cloverleaf antenna upgrade, genuine prop. I flied it approx. 10 times with the same setup then this plump happened which ending in the ground. Unfortunatelly i can't got the original non gimball mounting for the camera so i can't try it out without the gimball.
The vibrations is after from that hard landing because i needed to change the props and i only have the aftermarket right now, so i think when i will get the genuine ones the vibration will gone, so thats my second and tinier problem.
The camera sometimes starts to stop the recording automatically but the control and the live feed is okay.
The model no is: PV330, v1.4.
I attach some picture about the setup which is also untouched since i bought (except the calibrations, and the gimball firmware change)
K_perny_felv_tel__6__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__5__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__7__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__8__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__9__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__10__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__11__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

The only thing that i changed (but after some plump) that i change the factory landing gear due to the gimball height to a bigger one where the compass is not vertical. before it it works with the factory one and a splices.
IMG_20150605_201830_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
So, i got this one second hand but i'm not sure his previous life, but when i buy it it has already installed with the china gimball and a cloverleaf antenna upgrade, genuine prop. I flied it approx. 10 times with the same setup then this plump happened which ending in the ground. Unfortunatelly i can't got the original non gimball mounting for the camera so i can't try it out without the gimball.
The vibrations is after from that hard landing because i needed to change the props and i only have the aftermarket right now, so i think when i will get the genuine ones the vibration will gone, so thats my second and tinier problem.
The camera sometimes starts to stop the recording automatically but the control and the live feed is okay.
The model no is: PV330, v1.4.
I attach some picture about the setup which is also untouched since i bought (except the calibrations, and the gimball firmware change)
K_perny_felv_tel__6__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__9__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

K_perny_felv_tel__10__www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

The only thing that i changed (but after some plump) that i change the factory landing gear due to the gimball height to a bigger one where the compass is not vertical. before it it works with the factory one and a splices.

Thanks for your patience!

Hey Cif,

I may have inadvertently found the reason your aircraft starts to descend without your command input. I was inspecting my roof this morning after a severe hailstorm the other day, and at the end of my battery time I had the same issue. The bird would start plummeting down and the only way to avoid a crash was to fully throttle up. Luckily I was able to get the bird off the roof before anything was damaged, but when it landed it wasn't a soft one. I will try to cut the 11 minute video to the last 90 seconds for you to compare.

Anyway, what happened to me was that the auto-land function kicked in. I turned the auto-go-home function off since I was playing in the front yard, but when I reached critical low battery level, the auto-land function (you can't turn that off, I believe) stated up and tried to land the craft.

It may be your battery is damaged or needs calibration for the software and the bird to realize you are low on power. I also noticed in your posted pictures your battery has been charged over 20 times. Since it is new to you I assume you don't know if the battery has been re-calibrated? Or if any of the cells is damaged. You can easily calibrate in the Phantom Assistant, and test the battery by holding the on button for at least 4 seconds. All four lights should light up for a while. If one of them is out, you have a dead cell and I wouldn't trust it any longer. Have you watched the battery level during the flights when your bird does that?

So, I hope this helps you and other, I certainly learned something!

Talk with you soon

Reactions: TheCif and dirkclod
Hey Cif,

I may have inadvertently found the reason your aircraft starts to descend without your command input. I was inspecting my roof this morning after a severe hailstorm the other day, and at the end of my battery time I had the same issue. The bird would start plummeting down and the only way to avoid a crash was to fully throttle up. Luckily I was able to get the bird off the roof before anything was damaged, but when it landed it wasn't a soft one. I will try to cut the 11 minute video to the last 90 seconds for you to compare.

Anyway, what happened to me was that the auto-land function kicked in. I turned the auto-go-home function off since I was playing in the front yard, but when I reached critical low battery level, the auto-land function (you can't turn that off, I believe) stated up and tried to land the craft.

It may be your battery is damaged or needs calibration for the software and the bird to realize you are low on power. I also noticed in your posted pictures your battery has been charged over 20 times. Since it is new to you I assume you don't know if the battery has been re-calibrated? Or if any of the cells is damaged. You can easily calibrate in the Phantom Assistant, and test the battery by holding the on button for at least 4 seconds. All four lights should light up for a while. If one of them is out, you have a dead cell and I wouldn't trust it any longer. Have you watched the battery level during the flights when your bird does that?

So, I hope this helps you and other, I certainly learned something!

Talk with you soon

Hi Intruder!

Thanks for your idea! I checked the battery but it said no dead cell and approx. 80% capacity (last led blinks after 5 seconds push) but it's shape a bit fat.
Mine is not an auto-landing it's a plumping which is much faster and it occurs regardless of the charging state.
Anyway i will try out with an other battery.

Hi Intruder!

Thanks for your idea! I checked the battery but it said no dead cell and approx. 80% capacity (last led blinks after 5 seconds push) but it's shape a bit fat.
Mine is not an auto-landing it's a plumping which is much faster and it occurs regardless of the charging state.
Anyway i will try out with an other battery.

Hi Cif,

The auto land I mentioned was also a "plummet". It was certainly much faster than a auto go home and land, which I have tried before. It caught me off guard and as I promised, here is the video. It just took forever to upload the 11 minute video to YouTube and to clip the portion I wanted you to see.

Also, please take a look here about battery life and sudden drops from this YouTube personality. MicBergsma has rather many tutorials. I have learned quite a bit from him. To me it is admirable that he, despite his handicap, puts in all the efforts to post so much information about the Phantom. A true enthusiast if you ask me. Anyway, here he talks about how to test the battery's cells and tells from an experience he had with a used battery with less than 90% life expectancy. The video turns interesting for your case at 2:18. Did you notice the LEDs turning red, by chance? Or next time it happens, try to look for that (not so easy while in frantic panic mode).

If you want to compare the drop from your bird to the drop I had over the roof, they seem to be similar speed. And I was fighting the drop with almost full throttle the entire time.

Another thing is that all motors are doing that, not just one, which leads me to believe your ESCs and motors are ok. The camera keeps filming, so no total power loss.

All this looks like the bird is doing what it is supposed to, even thou it makes no sense to us. Yay DJI...:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCif
Hi Intruder!

Yeah, i know the guys videos and i like it also, see many of them.
So, your descending it looks really the same like mine, so i will test with my buddy's battery.
Thanks for your effort to uploading the video!
Only difference can be between the two plump, that your bird didn't even know he is above a taller object than the starting point, so maybe he thinks he has more height before reaching the ground and he can descend faster (i think he slow down the last 5 meters), but contradiction to this theory, you said you need to fight with your bird, just like me.

by the way nice roof! :)

Reactions: Intruder101
Hi Intruder!...
...So, your descending it looks really the same like mine, so i will test with my buddy's battery.
Thanks for your effort to uploading the video...

It looks like that too mee as well. It dropped fast.

Hi Intruder!

Yeah, i know the guys videos...

...by the way nice roof! :)

yeah, he is quite amusing sometimes. Y

The roof is done, damages by hail larger than 1.5" - 2" Will need to be replaced in the next few weeks.

I really hope you can figure the drop problem out. Then, next fix the shake thing. could be bad rotors or bad gimbal. You can find more on that weird shake in the past twoo week's posts.

See ya.

I will try to observe the color of the leds.

This is my battery. (see the attached file), maybe it's not genuine, because it's 5400mah not 5200mah.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 514
I will try to observe the color of the leds.

This is my battery. (see the attached file), maybe it's not genuine, because it's 5400mah not 5200mah.

Yeah, I have one of these as well as the 5200mAh, When my wife, uh, I mean Santa Clause, brought me the setup last Christmas, I got both. They are not genuine DJI as far as I know, they do not have the barcode sticker from the factory like the 5200s. DJI only produces the 5200 mAh, or that is the only one they sell on their website anyway. I think it is a good battery nonetheless, I have not had problems. Who knows.

This weekend I chiped a rotor on a bad landing, and now my footage is "shaking" like yours. I am now certain your shakes are from unbalanced props... Should be easy fix. I would replace them with the originals from DJI. I have not had any luck with the O-XOXO blades that are half the price.
I hope you figure it out. Take care.

Hi,

so i flew at the weekend with the same battery and i experienced that, the battery icon at the screen sometimes go red but the percentage didn't dropped ( i had video stream problem, so it's maybe related to that one). The phantoms led never goes red and the battery drained lineary but the plumping occurs randomly it's not related to any movement or situation the recording goes continously althougth i lost the fpv many times but that is another problem.
Next weekend i will test with the new battery, and inform you.
And i use another props and the yello effect completely gone.

So, i tested it with an another almost new (7 times charged) original battery and it did the same thing. So that is no battery fault. Look at the video from 11:25 it is plumped and i can't do nothing to avoid the crash.

Hi guys, I'm having the exact same problem. I have had my phantom vision since February and have had no problems what so ever....until last week. I installed a taco rc gimbal and now my bird is dropping out of the sky. When it falls I have absolutely no control in any direction. Today it fell from an altitude of 40 ft. and it broke the gimbal. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I thought i new just about everything on these machines with lots of research but had never seen that video on how to check battery life, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.