P2V sleeps with the fishes

Reaction score
I was videoing some surfers in atti mode when i lost wifi contact so i switched to home lock pulled the right stick back, i lost sight of p2v and waited , nothing so i turned off the transmitter still nothing, one of the surfers came in and said it took off in a lateral direction and slowly dropped in altitude and flew into the Pacific. My question is if i may have it in CL by mistake could it loose altitude at speed and fly into the water? or maybe i should switched out of atti to gps? anyway I'v got a P2V+ coming and dont want to make the mistake. By the way what to do with the transmitter, battery charger, ect. ect. of the p2v ? any suggestions?

thanks

Ed

nptor said:
I was videoing some surfers in atti mode when i lost wifi contact so i switched to home lock pulled the right stick back, i lost sight of p2v and waited , nothing so i turned off the transmitter still nothing, one of the surfers came in and said it took off in a lateral direction and slowly dropped in altitude and flew into the Pacific. My question is if i may have it in CL by mistake could it loose altitude at speed and fly into the water? or maybe i should switched out of atti to gps? anyway I'v got a P2V+ coming and dont want to make the mistake. By the way what to do with the transmitter, battery charger, ect. ect. of the p2v ? any suggestions?

thanks

Ed
Sorry to hear about your P2V loss. I think the issue was that HomeLock will not engage unless you are in GPS mode.
See info at http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M-V2_Intelligent_Orientation_Control

Good luck with the P2V+, it looks to be a really nice product.

Your controller needs to sleep with the fish as well. Otherwise the P2v+ is doomed. Build a bon fire, pour one out for the homies and launch it into the ocean.

There is a guy on here that's looking to buy an extender
By the way man really sorry to here you lost the bird

nptor said:

thanks

Ed

any time your low and in atti beware forward( or any) quick movement will cause a lose of alttitude
even a fast forward in gps mode will dive alittle before leveling off.
And from personal experience will high speed runs 76.3mph so far in atti you can lose 250ft in less than 800 ft forward run
if your filming low make small movments and stay in gps

Sorry to hear about your P2V loss. I think the issue was that HomeLock will not engage unless you are in GPS mode.
See info at http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M-V2_Intelligent_Orientation_Control

Good luck with the P2V+, it looks to be a really nice product.[/quote]

(6) When flying in Home Lock mode, if any of the following situations happen, then the system will quit Home Lock flying and automatically enter Course Lock flying. The aircraft will fly in Course Lock using the earlier forward direction.
a) The aircraft fly’s within 10m range of the home point.
b) You toggle the control mode switch to the ATTI. Mode.
c) The GPS signal becomes bad (The GPS signal LED is blinking Red twice or three times).
(7) We suggest that you should know clearly which flight lock method you are going to fly, and you know the locked forward direction or home point, before you switch on IOC mode during the flight.

thanks for the link it seems clear now that i should have been in gps mode before using HL

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. I think the same thing might have happened to me a while back, only I wasn't over water/just end up in the trees. I didn't realize what the issue was until I read this thread and the responses so...thanks? Try the classifieds here or e-bay to dump the controller/extender (I was actually looking for one of those a while back!). To my knowledge, the + uses the same battery as the P2V, so you might want to hold onto the charger for charging multiple batteries.

Enjoy the + when you get it, the footage that I've seen looks great and I'm jealous! Reminds me of a cell phone spot that aired a while back where people were intentionally trashing their phones to get an upgrade:)

Why would you intentionally film the surfers in atti mode vs GPS? Is there a benefit that Im not aware of, of atti mode over GPS when filming over water?

phantomguy said:
Why would you intentionally film the surfers in atti mode vs GPS? Is there a benefit that Im not aware of, of atti mode over GPS when filming over water?

atti mode is great for video, markedly less wobble as the craft isn't constantly trying to correct itself to maintain position like in GPS. I've been able to get some really smooth shots even on windy days by going upwind and letting it drift by the subject in atti mode. You'll also be able to fly faster in atti, but be aware that it will lose altitude as it's going forward so have a cushion. Also understand that it's kind of like flying without "brakes" in that when you let go of the sticks it will keep going in that general direction, but you can always switch back to GPS mode at the end of your pass to gain more control. happy flying!

Ed, Sorry for your loss ........ it has to suck!

The more I read posts the less likely I am to let my P2V fly very far out at all. Seems that failsafe works sometimes and not other, home lock can lose altitude on the way back, these birds can just have a mind of their own without a strong signal, etc.... Just far too many if's and maybe's to build my confidence to grow enough with this $1200 photographic tool.

Wifi loss in signal especially since the new app is a issue so I just cannot see letting my quad fly far enough away that I cannot us the TX to fly it home with me controlling it. for sure the TX has a longer range than wifi so there is no need to test the TX limits.

JimDE said:
Ed, Sorry for your loss ........ it has to suck!

The more I read posts the less likely I am to let my P2V fly very far out at all. Seems that failsafe works sometimes and not other, home lock can lose altitude on the way back, these birds can just have a mind of their own without a strong signal, etc.... Just far too many if's and maybe's to build my confidence to grow enough with this $1200 photographic tool.

Wifi loss in signal especially since the new app is a issue so I just cannot see letting my quad fly far enough away that I cannot us the TX to fly it home with me controlling it. for sure the TX has a longer range than wifi so there is no need to test the TX limits.

Thing thing that I took away from this thread is that Homelock is only functional in GPS mode and if it's not in GPS mode and switch to Homelock it automatically switches to Courselock, which can do something entirely different from Homelock depending on your orientation at takeoff. I don't believe one loses altitude in HL/GPS mode, but it's a fact that you will lose altitude in when traveling horizontally with neutral thrust ATTI. What I'm saying is that I don't think there are any if's and maybe's in this thread, just good information that underscores the need to be sure you know what you're doing when going into NAZA (which they warn you about in the Assistant anyway).

Now as far as the wifi loss with the new app., problems with the latest firmware, yeah lots of if's and maybe's there! Happy flying!

Lots of good info here,I think with the P2V+ i will be able to fly mostly in GPS because of the gimble though im comfortable in atti and naza i probably wont use it as often .
I appreciate all the response, never stop learning

Tnks
ED

So sorry for your loss. I would be sick for days if it was me. Yeah you guys are right on target with what happened here. In ATTI mode and switching to home lock actually switches to course lock. Then right stick back doesnt do what you expect. Moves in course lock back direction. Then it takes an immediate dive at some point. I am guessing when the TX was turned off.

SOOOOO, this begs the question and maybe the obvious answer: What happens when you lose TX connection and she is in ATTI-Non-GPS mode? Does she land right where she is because she is GPS-less? She certainly can't return home because she is is in a non-GPS mode. Would be awesome to find out she auto-switches to ATTI-GPS and comes home. Does anyone have the kahunas to test this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20