P2V Over - G ??

Reaction score
While doing a low altitude, “high-speed” pass I believe I may have over-g'd my P2V. Here's how... At about 15 feet altitude with full forward (right stick) in a level pass; at the far end of the pass I went to full aft (right stick) to stop the forward drift and full forward (left stick) to do a quick climb.

Here's what happened: it appeared the end maneuver was abrupt enough for the battery to slip out enough to disconnect and lose ship's power. That resulted in a spectacular end-over-end crash that caused no apparent damage (well – some grass and mud stains that wiped off). Needless to say it was scary to watch my $1200 investment skipping along the field at a high rate of speed.

I am really impressed there was no apparent damage. She just wanted a new compass calibration and was ready to go again. And flew fine. Thank goodness!

More lessons learned for this NOOB. 1) Make sure, sure, sure the battery is solidly clipped into the receptacle! 2) Like an actual aircraft, full stop-to-stop control reversal inputs are perhaps unwise, especially at low altitude. 3) The P2V is soooo easy to fly, it made me way over-confident, waaaay to early in my RC career. 4) Note to self: throttle back and take it easy for a while.

outlaw704, Austin, Texas, USA

...especially at low altitude

Not sure altitude contributed to your problem, although if you were higher you would have picked up more pieces !!

Are you sure you went the right way with the throttle?

Glad it worked out for you :)

I think the Phantom airframe (any version) can easily handle any g's resulting from flight maneuvers without ill effect, but yeah that battery door can pop open pretty easily, and obviously even a hard enough midair stop can cause the battery to slam forward against it. Best options are to secure the battery inside somehow so it can't slide forward, or fasten the door better.

For the P2, it's the same thing, but with the batt retaining clip rather than the door. It takes far less force to compromise that than it does to tweak the airframe.

Side note: Outlaw, can I assume you're aware of the history behind your avatar there, and its particular suitability for this forum?

OI Photography said:
Side note: Outlaw, can I assume you're aware of the history behind your avatar there, and its particular suitability for this forum?

Ol Photography: You can safely make your assumption...

Outlaw704

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav