P2V+ Losing Control at 1200 feet distance - Help

Reaction score
Hi all,

For some reason I'm regularly losing remote control signal on my P2V+ at about 1200 ft distance. This varies somewhat depending on my altitude. RTH kicks in and at about 600 ft distance I'm able to regain control. This has been happening on almost every flight and in both mid and low populated areas with direct line of site. I can actually still see it when it looses control. Funny thing is the FPV is still working in each case too. 1200 ft is less than 1/2 of the distance I'm supposed to get.

I do use rechargeable AAA's which I charge before each flight.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks

Sounds like you are running in CE mode. If you plug your tx into the assistant and select FCC mode on the right hand side of the front page, you will find it should go a lot further. I think they ship them all out in CE mode because some countries are not allowed to use the extra power of the FCC setup.

Try that first. ;)

miamican said:
Mine plus controller sounds double beep out of the box. Is it in the FCC mode.?

It will beep twice for FCC mode but that does not mean its actually IN FCC mode, you can only change this by going into the assistant, just turning the pot wont do it !

;)

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Well, I've definitely been running in FCC mode; two beeps and the RC Assistant says FCC mode.

So I'm stumped.

Any other thoughts or is this a DJI support issue?

Could it be the antenna connection? Or would it pretty much not work at all if that was the error?

Thanks

Scott

Mine is the same exact way. Normaly connection is lost at around 1350 feet. Only one time did it go further, I got to around 1650 feet and it displayed a warning on the screen that I had reached my max distance limit. After that I went into the assistant and increased the max altitude and distance but have not been able to fly out as far as I did when I got 1650 that one time.

Controller in FCC, double beep when turned on and its set to FCC in the assistant software as well.

Ok, maybe this is a newbie issue?

Does it matter if the RC controller antenna is pointed up or straight out towards the copter?

I'm still getting a max control distance of 1600 ft. Last night it happened in wide open desert, complete line of site.

I'm in FCC mode and my boundary settings in control assistant are way beyond 1600 ft.

Thanks

Mine arrived in FCC mode (two beeps). But I'm not sure if the dealer did that (he did open the box for me and stuck extra props in there). Out of the box, no setting changes, no upgrades etc, I flew to 1600' with no loss of FPV or control. Once I get 10 flights or so on it, will push for longer distance. Point your antenna straight up except when you are flying straight overhead.

Well, on this morning's shoot I had the antenna pointed out towards the craft and it lost control at about 600 ft. I have another dusk shoot at the same location tonight. I'll try it again. I called DJI in LA and they said that it sounds like the signal is underpowered (no really?) and that I needed to work with headquarters.

I'm going to try some different batteries tonight. I have a theory that since rechargeable batteries have a actual lower voltage 1.2 versus a new alkaline battery having 1.5v there might be a difference. The problem is that an alkaline battery drops voltage as it drains, while the rechargeable stays around 1.2. So I don't know if this theory holds water.

Dumb question: Did you try changing the batteries?

Haha... no question is dumb...

Yup, though to other rechargeable batteries... that were fully charged. I recharge each time before I head out anyway. Always with rechargeable batteries though. I'll try some good alkaline batteries this evening and report back.

RScottCampbell said:
Well, on this morning's shoot I had the antenna pointed out towards the craft and it lost control at about 600 ft. I have another dusk shoot at the same location tonight. I'll try it again. I called DJI in LA and they said that it sounds like the signal is underpowered (no really?) and that I needed to work with headquarters.

I'm going to try some different batteries tonight. I have a theory that since rechargeable batteries have a actual lower voltage 1.2 versus a new alkaline battery having 1.5v there might be a difference. The problem is that an alkaline battery drops voltage as it drains, while the rechargeable stays around 1.2. So I don't know if this theory holds water.
You're not suppose to point the antenna toward the craft. The antenna radiates from the shaft of the antenna. If the tip of the antenna is pointing directly at the craft, then you are radiating everywhere but towards the craft.

Well that would explain the terrible range I had this morning. Usually I have the antenna point up as you suggest. Except for this morning, when I tried at the craft. Now I know. Thanks.

There is misinformation in here.

THe double beep on the transmitter overrides whatever setting the software shows. Double beep on transmitter = FCC mode regardless of anything else. Its in the documentation

RScottCampbell said:
I do use rechargeable AAA's which I charge before each flight.

Thanks
I'd switch to AA batteries. :lol:
I also use rechargeable batteries. I fly 3 to 4 hours per week and only recharge them every 2 or 3 weeks, so in my opinion that's not the issue.

I fly on rechargables all the time (eneloops) with the P2V. I've done 25-30 flights per set of Duracell Ultras (easily) a couple of times before. Now I recharge the eneloops after 15 or 20 flights.

RScottCampbell said:
Well, on this morning's shoot I had the antenna pointed out towards the craft and it lost control at about 600 ft.

Antenna should be at 90 degree angle to Phantom (side of antenna aimed at Phantom) and top of Wi-Fi extender should be pointed at Phantom for max range.

- Changing batteries to the fancy 1.5 volt AA batteries makes no difference.

- Keeping the antenna pointed up as instructed makes no difference.

I'm wondering if DJI could have sent out an older P2V remote controller and range extender?

My FPV range is also only about 900 feet at best, when it works at all. Usually it's all blocky and green and I can't get it to work at all, even with all the recommended adjustments.

Beginning to think I got shipped a defective product.

Also, no help or response from DJI at all. Is it normal for them to not provide product support?

If it were the transmitter for the P2V non plus, you'd possibly be getting LONGER range as that transmitter is 125mw vs 100mw for the plus transmitter.

I'd check to make sure all antennas are connected inside the transmitter and the Extender. THere have been a few to report having a disconnected antena inside the extender from the factory

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31