P2V+ Loosing GPS Signal

Reaction score
Hi all

Was out flying today and i noticed that im loosing my GPS signal quite a bit. I was in a big open area with no obstructions and i did compass dance successfully.
Ive read about other folks having issues when they begin to record video. Im not sure if that was my issue but as soon as i started flying i was at times going from 8/9 sats down to 4 and Yellow lights and then the unit begins to drift. This is really annoying and unsettling. Anyone else with the same issues??

Many Thanks
DB

You seriously do not want to fly with loosing your GPS signal. That could be the kiss of death. Let's try to get this figured out before you end up in a bad situation! The more detailed you can be at describing everything the better.

So let me get this right. You have 8 to 9 sats before or after you launch?

What altitude are you at when you notice things are not right?

There is some things that can be done to improve the signal which require you to open the cover. Are you able to do this?

If your quad is new send it back and if its not then have you ever crashed? and if the answer is yes then you might have damaged the ceramic gps antenna .Most likley you are loosing gps when you turn on your camera just try it as you dont need to fly it to see if you loose sats .Come back and let us know what the deal is .

discobrother, I had the same problem,actually I would have nine satellites then turn video on and the satellites would drop down to 3 or 4 satellites.Seems how I have a warranty I contacted dji in Los Angeles , they replaced shielding ,compass and something to do with the camera.DON'T fly it with just yellow blinking lights as you might lose your phantom.

Tom Wolves

Many thanks for your reply. I am EXACTLY the same as you. I brought it for another test just today and sure enough 9 sats no problem and then as soon as i turn video recording on im dropping to 4 and 5 sats at best.
This is very annoying for a unit i payed so much money for. Im guessing that a firmware update (if there is one) wont fix this?
Its obviously a hardware or design fault related to the compass shielding. It crazy how they dont have these issues with high end smartphones costing half the money where the GPS and the rest of the hardware work in harmony!
I wonder has this issue been addressed in the updated variant of the P2V+ with new remote and shielding etc??

I have sent an email to the vendor heliguy in the UK so hopefully they can provide a solution or a recall. Their customer service has been top notch so far so fingers crossed.
Its disappointing that you cant just get out and fly the darn thing. Itchy finger and itchy feet here. :)

DB

discobrother said:
I wonder has this issue been addressed in the updated variant of the P2V+ with new remote and shielding etc??
The shielding has been improved in the P2V+ version 3. As noted above though, that's the fix for everyone who has an older version. DJI has not recalled Phantoms for this issue.

Looks like im going to give the shielding tutorial a go. Im going to go with just moving the GPS cable under the shielding and not adding any extra to see if that helps. Hopefully im on the right track. I just hope that fix also works for people who experience GPS issues only when recording. My GPS is fine when not recording!

Anyone know where to buy the exact shielding from the first video above?

I am on my third PV2+. I have had the GPS problem forever. Tried the mod and it helped some. The good news is I just bought a V3 and flew it some in my back yard in the dark. I am consistently receiving 4-6 sats more than before. I even received up to 6 inside the house where before I was lucky to get 2. I bought the external gps to mount on top of this new bird but if it continues to do this well I will not be doing so.

Ok so i must be the first person in the world that none of these mods are working for me.

Without any mod i have stable 4/5 sats (click video and drops to 3)

Mod1- Remove cover and re-route GPS cable to opposite side. Close cover and re test. Result- 3 sats (2 with video)

Mod2- Leave cable re-routed and add adhesive aluminium foil layer to cover GPS unit as video tutorials. Result 0 Sats

Im at a loss now. Ceramic GPS antenna is perfect and the unit hasn't crashed.

Only thing left is to test at an alternative site which i will do next.

This is madness for such an expensive unit. I feel like biting the bullet and opting for a return but i dont want to give in. (foolish me maybe)

DB

Send it back and get a V3 if i had not spent a load on modifying my antennas i would have sent mine back but i have done the full mods to mine and after fitting ferrite sheeting above the camera i have no issues as yet seems to have cured my sat drop out .

I just ordered a V.30 and Amazon refunded me for my other one. I will ship it back when new arrives. I love Amazon excited to get the updated controller function.

I have gps problems with cloud coverage etc.

discobrother said:
Ok so i must be the first person in the world that none of these mods are working for me.
Without any mod i have stable 4/5 sats (click video and drops to 3)

Only thing left is to test at an alternative site which i will do next.
You can easily check GPS reception to see what your Phantom should be able to find.
Just get a GPS app for your phone (GPS Status is good for Android).
It will show you how many satellites are visible at your location and show whether the problem is your location or your Phantom.

I have it on normal days and worse on days with heavy cloud coverage. Clouds do affect GPS signals. Just like satellite TV.

It's mainly the quality of the receiver more than the actual signal.

The idea that cloud cover causes GPS problems is a popular myth.
The GPS system has been designed specifically to provide all-weather navigation anywhere in the world.
If cloud cover was a problem, Phantoms would be losing control all over the world every day.
Cars and ships would have serious difficulty navigating.
The receiver in the Phantom has no problem with cloud cover - like all GPS receivers.
http://www.gpsinformation.net/gpsclouds.htm

If you have a GPS problem (cloudy day or not) check the available sats with a handheld GPS unit or gps app to see what is really visible in your sky. That may show what the real problem is.

The amount of SATs in the area is not an issue. Checked on my app and 23 overhead but phantom struggling to get 4.
I'm waiting to see what Heliguy say to me. Its a clear cut case as far as I can see. This unit is not fit for purpose and does not do what its advertised to do.
They've had great customer service so far so I'm sure they will exchange for a V3.
Most ironic thing is... When I ordered the unit 3 weeks ago I made the assumption that I was going to get a v3 and contacted Heliguy when I didn't and at that point they offered to exchange it but I didn't see the need at the time! Silly me! Needless to say I was very unaware of the gps problems being plagued in v2

discobrother said:
The amount of SATs in the area is not an issue. Checked on my app and 23 overhead but phantom struggling to get 4.
I'm waiting to see what Heliguy say to me. Its a clear cut case as far as I can see. This unit is not fit for purpose and does not do what its advertised to do.
They've had great customer service so far so I'm sure they will exchange for a V3.
Most ironic thing is... When I ordered the unit 3 weeks ago I made the assumption that I was going to get a v3 and contacted Heliguy when I didn't and at that point they offered to exchange it but I didn't see the need at the time! Silly me! Needless to say I was very unaware of the gps problems being plagued in v2
I think that is extremely shady for that company to send you an older model of the phantom when they could have simply sent them back to the factory for the latest version

I will be staying away from heliguy at all costs, since they were clearly pulling a fast one on you and when they got caught, they tried to make it right

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav