P2V+ landed in Pond

Reaction score
HI all, I really need some help. My P2V+ landed in my pond, it was on autopilot, and it lowered into the pond. the pond is covered in lily pads and plants, so it landed on them and then tipped over sideways into the water, the camera and the gimbal seem to have not touched the water. there was some water inside around the battery and some in the GPS light casings and around motors. but not that much I don't think, and I pulled the battery quickly. I opened up the P2V+ and cleaned out anything I could find which really wasn't much. when I turned it on, seems all is fine, lights work, gimbal and camera to there thing. My issue is it all starts up fine but I can't connect wirelessly to the drone, I can connect the app but get no camera or info, or anything in the album. it just says Phantom connection broken, could the Wi-Fi chip in the phantom gotten ruined by water and need replacing? or could there be a better solution I hope?

Thank you for your help.

You really need it to dry out over a period of days. I would box it in rice. I would also not turn it on..

I already turned it on to see if anything was wrong, I even took it for a flight, everything works great except for the WIFI issue. maybe I'll leave it in the sun and let it dry for a day. man I hope that fixes it. any other suggestions?

The WORST thing you can do is turn it ON. it has to dry for a couple of days in a bag of rice. There's circut boards in the battery too.

I bought a vPlus that had been in a river for some time and I have since went through everything and I can say that you definately need to get serious about drying things. Pull the battery and top cover and let the sun bake the crap out of it. Even the battery, it has a ton of electrical stuff going on behind the led lights. If you have a air conditioner vent available, no doubt place everything there for sure!

happydays said:
You don't have to cover the thing in rice - as long as the bag is big enough the two can be seperate. The rice will still suck up the moisture. You could have the rice in the bottom of a big bag and set the Phantom on top of it and then tie up the top of the bag.

After a day or two, separate the two, place the bird on a table, take the rice and place in pot of water, bring the water to a boil and remove rice when nice and fluffy. Once you have had a good meal of it, wash up then turn on the bird and see if everything is functioning properly.

DownunderPhantom said:
happydays said:
You don't have to cover the thing in rice - as long as the bag is big enough the two can be seperate. The rice will still suck up the moisture. You could have the rice in the bottom of a big bag and set the Phantom on top of it and then tie up the top of the bag.

After a day or two, separate the two, place the bird on a table, take the rice and place in pot of water, bring the water to a boil and remove rice when nice and fluffy. Once you have had a good meal of it, wash up then turn on the bird and see if everything is functioning properly.

:mrgreen:

happydays said:
Yes, I am the "KING OF SUBMERGED PHANTOMS". Mine has been upside in the freshwater lake 5 times.

Never turn on until after a three or so day dry-out. I put rice around the Phantom the first time, but decided to just seal it in the same bag as the rice on subsequent dry-outs. Works the same and is a heck of a lot easier to get back in the air.

My method: 1. Disassemble the shell and dry what you can from the interior 2. Place in front of a fan in a warm area for 6 or so hours 3. Seal in the rice bag for 3 days.

So far I only lost one battery and one ESC (which may have been going bad anyway).

BTW, I now take the cover off the gimbal module (the one with 3 screws), dry the interior, and spray the pot with Deoxit spray. Gimbal was erratic but came back to life after spraying and drying overnight.

I had this image in my mind of starving children in China, slaving on an assembly line building phantoms for pennies a day. We buy the Phantoms, drop them in the water, dry them out in bags of rice then throw the rice away. Oh the irony ;-)

syotr said:
I had this image in my mind of starving children in China, slaving on an assembly line building phantoms for pennies a day. We buy the Phantoms, drop them in the water, dry them out in bags of rice then throw the rice away. Oh the irony ;-)
I've actually kept the huge bag of rice to use again and again. I'm wondering just how many times I can use it before it's saturated. I usually reseal the bag after use, which may not be a good idea, now that I think about it.

dannytroy said:
syotr said:
I've actually kept the huge bag of rice to use again and again. I'm wondering just how many times I can use it before it's saturated. I usually reseal the bag after use, which may not be a good idea, now that I think about it.

I would keep it closed otherwise it will suck in all of the moisture from the atmosphere.

Best thing is just to avoid crashing in water - even you King of the Swamps dannytroy... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I appreciate all the help guys, this really freaked me out, I try to be so carful with it I can't believe this happened.

Wally said:
Switch to Naza, then you can take back control of the autopolis triest to land in your pond by switchimg S1.

Hope it recovers!

Sorry but Naza mode is not a silver bullet, you can also take control if in Phantom mode by switching S1 if in RTH or Waypoint flying ;)

Hi everyone, thank you for all the help, I have now kept my phantom in a huge bag full of rice for 3 days. I started it up and I still have the same issue, everything works but the I cannot get any info or camera in the app. The day I crashed it I used the new Vision+ Utility pro to boost it, I also after the crash hit the reset button on the extender to try to get the contact back, could this be some reason I am not connecting, and not the landing in the water? Cause honestly I don't think the Wi-Fi module even seen a drop of water, only a small part of the drone went under with the rest laying on the water plants.

DFdigital said:
Hi everyone, thank you for all the help, I have now kept my phantom in a huge bag full of rice for 3 days. I started it up and I still have the same issue, everything works but the I cannot get any info or camera in the app. The day I crashed it I used the new Vision+ Utility pro to boost it, I also after the crash hit the reset button on the extender to try to get the contact back, could this be some reason I am not connecting, and not the landing in the water? Cause honestly I don't think the Wi-Fi module even seen a drop of water, only a small part of the drone went under with the rest laying on the water plants.
Just a guess, you might try rebinding the extender to your camera. :roll:

How do I do that? Do I need to rebind the extender to the phantom, is that what you mean? If the extender is off, shouldn't I still be able to connect the phone straight to the phantom? How do I do this binding, or pairing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4