P2V+ GPS Module Tests

The LAX No Fly Zone runs as far East as Avalon Blvd, almost the entirety of East 120th St., ALL of I-110 from West Gage Ave. down to West 182nd Street, and a part of Central Ave., and *almost* out to Compton Ave.

This is directly from: <https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/>

Yes, but do the outskirts of the fly zone as outlined apply to hobby drones? That's the question. It makes sense that a Cessna can't fly in a no fly without clearance. But a hobby drone is not a Cessna. A Cessna cannot fly around randomly at 20, 50, 100 feet. My Phantom can.

My house is 28,800 ft due east from Montgomery County Airpark, which is a small airport for light planes like Cessnas. Obviously I'm far enough away. But let's say I drive over to a field a mile or so west of me, so that I was only 20,000 feet away. Are you saying I am barred from launching?

The FAA does NOT classify Drones as hobby or commercial!

ALL drones fall into their No Fly Zones.

You will simply do as you wish. If it gets you screwed, then do NOT say that you were NOT warned.

I do NOT make the rules nor the regulations.

As ALL of us, I'm stuck with the same issues. It is ALL due to those that went off and were extremely dumb and careless!

I'm not arguing with you. I'm trying to figure out the truth.

I think the truth is vague.

You didn't answer my question above.

My understanding is that there are no blanket rules for drones as of now. Even the "Don't fly over 400 feet" rule is not a rule. So it's hard to believe that if I launch within 4 miles of an airstrip, they're gonna lead me away in handcuffs.

Your answer is simple and straight forward. 20,000 feet from a Class D Airspace is within 5 miles. That makes it prohibited from Drones.

Following the current AC_91-57A.

It is attached. It is dated September 2 2015.

Attachments

• AC_91-57A.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 218
Thanks for the info

this is quoted from FAA doc from the attachment above:

When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator or the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport

airport zones are not NO FLY zones.
They are controlled airspace, to fly legally ( and you CAN)
you simply must NOTIFY the tower

Washington DC is however a TRUE and complete no fly zone at ALL times for miles around the city

Yep. I read that.

So technically, if you're flying, say, four miles from an airport, you must get permission (and can be prosecuted if you don't), even though the chance of you causing a problem is (presumably) zero, since manned aircraft is above you, and DJI's software will not allow you to fly above a certain height.

I can be prosecuted for jaywalking too. And speeding. And taking a leak behind a bush.

I dunno. Maybe I'm a type B personality after all.

I have contacted the Class D Airport Operations manager. She will not give permission to fly. No exceptions.

I am outside the Washington D.C. No Fly Radius. Yes, this area is a bigger pain. I am about 25 Miles from Dulles International Airport.

Dulles Air Traffic flies over my house on the South Approach. I couldn't get into their path unless I manage to get above 3 or 4 thousand feet.

No aircraft are allowed to fly below 2000 feet over a populated area IOW FAA Rules and Regulations.

So I deal with it in my manner. Going up to no more than 40 to 50 feet has not caused any issues nor complaints.

I am looking at applying for a COA from the FAA to establish an exemption allowing flight to inspect roofs.

Hey BSquared.

You seem to know a lot about this stuff, so I thought I'd ask you.

I've been itchin' to fly and we've had rain or wind the past several days. But I knew today would be good. So this morning as soon as the humidity dropped, I took it out and ran it from my back yard - 5400 feet horizontal distance (no booster) which is my record so far, being the noob that I am. But it ran at 39 mph going North, which is also a record. It came back RTH at 13-14 mph. Obviously I had some wind at my back on this run going, and wind in my face coming. That surprised me. But I forgot to check the weather site this morning. It was a little windier than I had anticipated.

A little while ago I checked the uavforecast site to get an idea what the wind was doing a few hundred feet off the surface.

UAV Weather Forecast

There's some text there. Something about a warning. It's in red. I click on it.

And this map of my area and a huge TFR bubble came up. It's concentric with the nofly zone, but it's friggin' 60 miles in diameter or something close to that. It looks like they just decided to double the distance from the White House. And this seems to be in place "until further notice". It expands all the way to friggin' Baltimore and encompasses Annapolis completely.

Are you kidding me?

I know you're in the DC area. Kinda. You said you were 25 miles south of Dulles. Not sure if you're in the bubble or not.

Then I clicked on another link and saw this:

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

It seems to be telling pilots not to fly in this area until further notice.

Now I did notice a Cessna flying while I was flying. Maybe this TFR just came up over the past couple hours? I flew about three hours ago or so.

In your opinion, what does this mean to hobby drone owners?

Thanks.

This "TFR" has been in place for quite awhile. Take a ride to your nearest small Class D airport. Spend the cost of the Washington D.C. Sectional Chart. Then sit down with it and learn the terms, symbols and all you can suck out of it.
There is much more to this area than TFRs. This area in particular is a SFRA, Special Flight Rules Area. That Cessna Pilot had to received the instructions that go along with this SFRA. They are ALL defined on that Sectional Chart.
Ah yes, the "BUBBLE". Welcome to it. If you are within its limits or overzealous sprawl, then the good news, you "can" own a drone, hobby or commercial. The bad news, you CANNOT legally fly your drone, whether it is for hobby or commercial.
It became the *law* during the former President's two terms in office.
You and I should get together and discuss all the terms and definitions of "OUR" Sectional Chart.

I'm 19 miles due north from the White House, so I'm good as far as that 15-mile bubble. But this new one, this 30-mile bubble that popped up yesterday took me by surprise. In fact, the only reason I know about it is because I looked at uavforecast.com. Otherwise I'd be completely ignorant of it. There's nothing in the news about it and nobody on this site has mentioned it, that I can tell.

I'm not sure exactly what time this TFR was put in place. It's possible the Cessna and myself had launched before the TFR was invoked.

Thanks for your input.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31