P2V+ Failsafe landed into rice field - Need help!

Reaction score
So, yesterday we were flying over some rice fields, and I get the battery warning (I have mine set at 20%), and we start to come back to land. I'm only flying about 10 feet high when the phantom decides that it is just going to land right where it is (Battery still reads 17%). It makes a slow decent into the rice field, and sets down... submersing the camera and gimbal in water. (It actually kept recording for about 5 minutes underwater).

The only thing I can come up with is that the battery had been recharged on the DJI Car Charger, and may have been pulled off before it was 100% charged. So the amount of battery that was being transmitted back to me is not what the phantom thought was left, and it decided it better land right where it was at. I watched it start decending. I hit the throttle up. It just kept descending and landed softly. It never went into a failsafe mode to return to home - RTH was properly set before take-off. We had 12 satellites, and no obstructions. Literally the only thing happening was the battery alarm.

So, we had a very hard time finding the phantom, as it showed on the telemetry that the last contact was 687 ft away in an ocean of green rice patty. We slogged through the mud, rice and water up to our knees for 3 hours! When we did find it,the body stayed high enough that water did not get into the electronics of the phantom, but the camera and gimbal were definitely submerged. Upon taking it apart, I have placed the camera, gimbal, and compass in rice to try and salvage them.

Has anyone tried this? Am I wasting my time?

Also, while disconnecting the camera/gimbal, one of the plugs must not have unlocked when I pulled, and the four little wires came out of the clip. Can anyone tell me where to find out what wire that is, and replace it?

If the camera and gimbal are toast, should I just try to replace it with a Zenmuse H3-3D and a GoPro? I that even doable with the P2V+?

Can I just buy the P2V+ camera and gimbal as a package?

OK... I answered one of own my questions - The entire camera/gimbal assembly can be bought for $679

Maybe the better question is do I have to replace it with the same gimbal and camera? If I wanted, could I get the Zenmuse H3-3D and a GoPro, and make it work properly? :?:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1