P2V+ - Crashed and now one rotor does not spin

Reaction score
Just joined the group and I am a new flyer of a P2V+ It hit a tree and fell into a pond. I immediately fished it out and wet vac the water and put the copter into a bag of rice for 12 hours.

I was happy to see that is turns on, captures videos. But the front right rotor is not spinning. Any thought on how to debug this and get it back into the air?

I believe the rotor that is not spinning is the one that struck the tree. By hand the rotor spins and feels just like the other rotors.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is a video that shows the problem and lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ToFxboHJk

Tonight after work I plan to take the top off and see if any voltage is getting to the motors. Anything else I can check that will help narrow the search?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Looks like the motor for sure, maybe the esc too? I would pick up both just in case. While you have the shell open, I would also inspect all of the connections for corrosion, and check the soldering points on the main board that connect to the esc's. I would double check, but I think these are the same parts for the Phantom 2/Vision/Vision+, which means it would get the same esc on each arm, but you would need the proper rotation for the motor. That's how it works on the Vision anyway.

@jimdenburg, Thanks for the info. That answers a major question of are the parts the same for the Vision and Vision plus.

Here is where I am with fixing my P2V+ after my crash.

I verified the Phantom 2 Vision and the Phantom 2 Vision+ use the same part for ESC and motor (2212/920KV CCW part 05).

I verified that the ESC is the bad part. When the prop got stopped it must have burnt out the driver?

To verify I moved the motor and the ESC from the (bad) front right to the back left. And put the back left in the front. The problem followed the ESC.

Other parts confirmed working are:
- Camera
- Gimbal
- Compass
- GPS
- Radio Control

I got a new motor yesterday (just incase) but I need to order the ESC today. I hope to be back in the air by this weekend assuming not ridiculous lead times....

BTW, Confirmed not working:
- DJI Customer Support (thank goodness for phantompilots to fill the gap)

yepher said:
BTW, Confirmed not working:
- DJI Customer Support (thank goodness for phantompilots to fill the gap)

Don't point the trigger so hard at DJI - they may not respond immediately but they do respond. I send info, complaints, comments all the time and ALWAYS get a response and it's getting better and quicker. Just be a little patient, if need be send a second email and put in topic "second request" - you will get an answer.

yepher said:
Here is where I am with fixing my P2V+ after my crash.

I verified the Phantom 2 Vision and the Phantom 2 Vision+ use the same part for ESC and motor (2212/920KV CCW part 05).

I verified that the ESC is the bad part. When the prop got stopped it must have burnt out the driver?

To verify I moved the motor and the ESC from the (bad) front right to the back left. And put the back left in the front. The problem followed the ESC.

Other parts confirmed working are:
- Camera
- Gimbal
- Compass
- GPS
- Radio Control

I got a new motor yesterday (just incase) but I need to order the ESC today. I hope to be back in the air by this weekend assuming not ridiculous lead times....

Good info to throw out there about the plus. There's lots of good soldering info on this site if you need that (although it looks like you're handling that just fine). Good thing you didn't break the gimbal--that wouldn't be such an easy fix/replacement at this point!

jimdenburg said:
Looks like the motor for sure, maybe the esc too? I would pick up both just in case. While you have the shell open, I would also inspect all of the connections for corrosion, and check the soldering points on the main board that connect to the esc's. I would double check, but I think these are the same parts for the Phantom 2/Vision/Vision+, which means it would get the same esc on each arm, but you would need the proper rotation for the motor. That's how it works on the Vision anyway.

If your looking to establish an inventory of spares then yes buy a motor and an ESC.

Otherwise swap the motor with a known good one and you'll have the answer.

As mentioned the motor shaft's threading is the important issue when buying.
Rotation can be reversed by swapping any two of the motor wires.

@jimdenburg, I had pre bought the motor since the store near my home carried it. I am fairly certain the motor is good at this point and the problem is the ESC. I guess I will have a spare motor.

Does anyone where to have details about the motor or ESC. For instance:

Motor:
* What is the input to the motor? Is it just a 2 phase sine wave or something else?
* What voltage does it require

ESC:
* What is the input for the ESC, what is the signal input for the black and white wire?
* What signals are carried on the other wires?

If we know this it would be a lot easier to diagnose problems.

Update May 15 2014

Looks like the motors are pretty easy to drive. Just need power supply and arduino emitting PWM. I will upload schematics and code here once it is ready: https://github.com/yepher Found a few good threads on the matter although still struggling to differentiate between Vision and Vision+. Folks say they are the same but I am having a hard time finding official resources about it or someone who can back up the claim. For sure the ESC and motors are the same.

I'm also looking into using GNU Radio and my SDR to intercept GPS and video feed. This could be a nice way to internet broadcast live feed of of flights or use it as a flight recorder. I am scared to ask because of @N017RW scorn but has anyone been successful in intercepting the signals from the Phantom with an SDR yet?

yepher said:
@jimdenburg, I had pre bought the motor since the store near my home carried it. I am fairly certain the motor is good at this point and the problem is the ESC. I guess I will have a spare motor.

Does anyone where to have details about the motor or ESC. For instance:

Motor:
* What is the input to the motor? Is it just a 2 phase sine wave or something else?
* What voltage does it require

ESC:
* What is the input for the ESC, what is the signal input for the black and white wire?
* What signals are carried on the other wires?

If we know this it would be a lot easier to diagnose problems.

Google is your friend.

Those answers and information are available in abundance if you just look and are more like research related than help on a forum to solve a problem.

I'm merely saying you ask a lot and I'm not sure why someone would want to do all that typing when it has already been done ;) .

You'd be surprised at what else you might learn along the way.

@N017RW, I guess I am just using this topic as a way of keeping notes about what I am learning along the way. I had hoped that someone else would find this useful at some point.

sorry if it bothers you. Feel free to ignore the topic.

Whoa there!

It's good advice. Period.

That's the point of these forums.

You may have to do some work yourself though.

In case you are interested I put a quick video together of some footage just before the crash.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83G8iCN91U[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1