P2V Close Call Today

Reaction score
Had a bum twitching moment today, I finally got chance to fly my bird today as the wind was very mild here. I did not want go far or high, but to just see if all was well after all the mods I have just done.

Well on the first battery that was fully charged over night I got 5 mins in to my flight when I thought I would try the return to home mode, it started to climb to the return to home height and then the horn strated honking and the battery suddenly dropped to 6%, it was 89% when I last looked at it around 10 seconds before hand, and worst of all it started to drop going in to auto land mode but was drifting over to some overhead cables and some houses. i was in the middle of a big sports field and was no where near any of the obstacles, but the wind suddenly got up and pushed the bird over the houses and it was still dropping.
It started to drop out of site behind the houses, all this happened so quickly it did catch me out. Thankfully I read this board till my eyes are sore and thankfully some of what I read kicked in my mind.

I quickly switched back to gps mode and gave her full throttle and up she rose from behind the houses, I was now down to 4% battery so I thought I had better get her back over towards on to the field.
I managed to land her on the grass and as soon as I had touched down I lost video picture on my tablet, when I got to her the battery had shut off.

At the point where it disappeared behind the houses it was only about 500 yards away from me but how quick the wind took her was incredible .
when I watched the video when I got home it was so close to the houses chimney that it just missed it by inches as I dragged it back because it was still in auto land mode I think..

Anyway managed to land her without any damage but it sure did wake me up.. I think it's time for some new battery's but it was cold here today only 3c, but my second battery was perfect and got 18 mins out of it flying up and down the field at about 15 feet up.
It just goes to show how alert you have to be to anything that can go wrong will..

Flack

Last edited:
Had a bum twitching moment today, I finally got chance to fly my bird today as the wind was very mild here. I did not want go far or high, but to just see if all was well after all the mods I have just done.

Well on the first battery that was fully charged over night I got 5 mins in to my flight when I thought I would try the return to home mode, it started to climb to the return to home height and then the horn strated honking and the battery suddenly dropped to 6%, it was 89% when I last looked at it around 10 seconds before hand, and worst of all it started to drop going in to auto land mode but was drifting over to some overhead cables and some houses. i was in the middle of a big sports field and was no where near any of the obstacles, but the wind suddenly got up and pushed the bird over the houses and it was still dropping.
It started to drop out of site behind the houses, all this happened so quickly it did catch me out. Thankfully I read this board till my eyes are so and thankfully some of what I read kicked in my mind.

I quickly switched back to gps mode and gave her full throttle and up she rose from behind the houses, I was now down to 4% battery so I thought I had better get her back over towards on to the field.
I manged to land her on the grass and as soon as I had touched down I lost video picture on my tablet, when I got to her the battery had shut off.

At the point where it disappeared behind the houses it was only about 500 yards away from me but how quick the wind took her was incredible .
when I watched the video when I got home it was so close to the houses chimney that it just missed it by inches as I dragged it back because it was still in auto land mode I think..

Anyway managed to land her without any damage but it sure did wake me up.. I think it's time for some new battery's but it was cold here today only 3c, but my second battery was perfect and got 18 mins out of it flying up and down the field at about 15 feet up.
It just goes to show how alert you have to be to anything that can go wrong will..

Flack
Damm that was sure a close called! glad you got it back and nothing happen plug in naza and check if all the cells are balance, how many flights has the battery had? I did some flying today myself but the was a bit warmer down here in Birmingham it was 7 degree but i was flying over a lake and all that time my heart was beating 10 time faster even tho it flew fine and i was thinking this thing gonna give me a heart attack one day lol, I don't know if I'm the only person whenever switches on their phantom heart begins to race

Big difference in observed voltage that is charged 100% and the voltage being used. Pulling hard(voltage)on a vertical climb can suck a good battery down and a less than good battery down quickly. Especially in colder temperatures.

I watch my voltage draw and am less concerned about %.

Big difference in observed voltage that is charged 100% and the voltage being used. Pulling hard(voltage)on a vertical climb can suck a good battery down and a less than good battery down quickly. Especially in colder temperatures.

where do you see how much voltage is draw?

Flight log! (so the data-readers can help you find your problems) Video! (Eh, they're fun to watch)

You watch your voltage drawl on the P2v vision app???

It started to drop out of site behind the houses, all this happened so quickly it did catch me out. Thankfully I read this board till my eyes are sore and thankfully some of what I read kicked in my mind.

I managed to land her on the grass and as soon as I had touched down I lost video picture on my tablet, when I got to her the battery had shut off.

Flack
I have a used PV2 and when i started trying to fly it I would start to climb hard and then that same thing happened to me. Thought i had a bad bird but orded new battery and all those instant battery percentage losses never happened again. Scary watching your bird plummet.

When you get a cell to go bad all of a sudden it's not good. Really not if your about a mile out .
I found this from a year ago cleaning out files and made this last nite .Just for me to have a record of it . Was my first Vision .
Made me look closer in the assistant at my battery's

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok. Speaking of batteries. I bought a brand new battery cause the ones I got with the used P2V I got lasted about 2 minutes and the drone would fall....anyways. New battery worked awesome till about the 10th flight and now i get crazy low battery warnings in like 30 seconds acting like my old batteries. Very frustrating. The only thing I did different is left the battery on the charger overnight. Did I wreck my battery? If so I'm super disappointed that if that's all it takes to wreck a battery. How can I test battery. It says 99% when I start flying still.

Ok. Speaking of batteries. I bought a brand new battery cause the ones I got with the used P2V I got lasted about 2 minutes and the drone would fall....anyways. New battery worked awesome till about the 10th flight and now i get crazy low battery warnings in like 30 seconds acting like my old batteries. Very frustrating. The only thing I did different is left the battery on the charger overnight. Did I wreck my battery? If so I'm super disappointed that if that's all it takes to wreck a battery. How can I test battery. It says 99% when I start flying still.
Have you checked that new battery in the assistant . You might have got a bad one . I have before and just returned it and got another .
Now I do get mine from a place a few states over and they work with me great .
As far as leaving it overnite on the charger I have been doing that since I started and have never had a problem .
That being said it is not good to do that because of issue's that could arise and cause a fire and don't recommend for anyone to do it.
Just saying I have and it ain't hurt any of mine .

Reactions: Sulzle357
Have you checked that new battery in the assistant . You might have got a bad one . I have before and just returned it and got another .
Now I do get mine from a place a few states over and they work with me great .
As far as leaving it overnite on the charger I have been doing that since I started and have never had a problem .
That being said it is not good to do that because of issue's that could arise and cause a fire and don't recommend for anyone to do it.
Just saying I have and it ain't hurt any of mine .
Great thanks for that. I've been watching lots of Youtube vids and learned lots on how to check batteries properly. I really thought leaving on the charger wouldn't be a problem but it happened the next day so I was concerned. One thing I've learned is that there is more to owning one of these then I expected.

Reactions: dirkclod
Great thanks for that. I've been watching lots of Youtube vids and learned lots on how to check batteries properly. I really thought leaving on the charger wouldn't be a problem but it happened the next day so I was concerned. One thing I've learned is that there is more to owning one of these then I expected.
Watching those video's is good but reading here and taking info from different folks ..not just one you will learn pretty fast you are right about there's way more to these then some think .
You might have a bum charger that didn't stop or the smart battery wasn't so smart .Dono
I have learned though to use the Assistant and check stuff often .

Watching those video's is good but reading here and taking info from different folks ..not just one you will learn pretty fast you are right about there's way more to these then some think .
You might have a bum charger that didn't stop or the smart battery wasn't so smart .Dono
I have learned though to use the Assistant and check stuff often .
So i got my bird hooked up to my computer tonight and checked all 3 batteries. They were all absolutely great. All the numbers of the cells were really close. So now what? lol. All the health numbers were 98% at least. Upgraded firmware to 3.14 Good move?

So i got my bird hooked up to my computer tonight and checked all 3 batteries. They were all absolutely great. All the numbers of the cells were really close. So now what? lol. All the health numbers were 98% at least. Upgraded firmware to 3.14 Good move?
Well if your cell #'s are real close they should be good.
As far as 3.14 I have it and is alright but really wish I had stayed with 3.08 .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers