P2V+ Camera separation from bird

Reaction score
P2V+ that I received in late April has been flying great until the other day after I downloaded the newest firmware:

Weather - calm, windless
Area - large field in a park near Tampa, FL
Preflight check - did it all including compass calibration and checked batteries in RC.

CAMERA SEPARATED FROM DRONE

During flight, at low (below 60 ft.) altitude, it was doing fine. I sent the drone up to 200 feet and was flying for a while (2 - 3 mins) and it drifted over some trees and to the edge of the park where there is lots of brush and tall weeds. I attempted to guide drone back to center of the field but it continued drifting. I then attempted to down throttle to a lower altitude and at that point, the drone began to spotter and rock back and forth while descending rapidly. I tried to send it back up, still no response then I turned off the RC in hopes that the drone would return home normally, the response was a continued un-controllable decent. Crash - hit some tree limbs on the way down from a leafless (dead) tree that was still standing and landed about 15 feet inside the brush and tall weeds. I could not see it after a quick look in the brush. Luckily, I was able to retrieve the (still flashing) drone after I went home to change into jeans, long sleeves, boots and gloves as to not contact with any poison ivy or snakes. The camera had snapped loose from the gimbal and was luckily visible close by.

Not sure what happened but I am quite angry about this and have had no other mishaps in the past 2 weeks of flying. I have to send this unit in to be repaired obviously But do not think that I should be responsible. I am placing an order for my second P2V+ later today in hopes of receiving it by next weekend when I promised a friend that I would photograph his party.

Any idea of turn around time for repair and approximate cost if I loose the warranty battle?

The rocking back and forth and descending rapidly straight down with no ability to arrest the descent with power sounds like classic Vortex Ring State, or "settling with power". The very latest firmware has reduced the descent rate to try and reduce the risk of people getting into the condition, but not sure what version you were running.

I did a video explanation of VRS and how to get out/not get in here if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUCc88vG9Us

aerial said:
P2V+ that I received in late April has been flying great until the other day after I downloaded the newest firmware:

Weather - calm, windless
Area - large field in a park near Tampa, FL
Preflight check - did it all including compass calibration and checked batteries in RC.

CAMERA SEPARATED FROM DRONE

During flight, at low (below 60 ft.) altitude, it was doing fine. I sent the drone up to 200 feet and was flying for a while (2 - 3 mins) and it drifted over some trees and to the edge of the park where there is lots of brush and tall weeds. I attempted to guide drone back to center of the field but it continued drifting. I then attempted to down throttle to a lower altitude and at that point, the drone began to spotter and rock back and forth while descending rapidly. I tried to send it back up, still no response then I turned off the RC in hopes that the drone would return home normally, the response was a continued un-controllable decent. Crash - hit some tree limbs on the way down from a leafless (dead) tree that was still standing and landed about 15 feet inside the brush and tall weeds. I could not see it after a quick look in the brush. Luckily, I was able to retrieve the (still flashing) drone after I went home to change into jeans, long sleeves, boots and gloves as to not contact with any poison ivy or snakes. The camera had snapped loose from the gimbal and was luckily visible close by.

Not sure what happened but I am quite angry about this and have had no other mishaps in the past 2 weeks of flying. I have to send this unit in to be repaired obviously But do not think that I should be responsible. I am placing an order for my second P2V+ later today in hopes of receiving it by next weekend when I promised a friend that I would photograph his party.

Any idea of turn around time for repair and approximate cost if I loose the warranty battle?

My P2V+ fell out of the sky 2 weeks ago destroying the camera/gimbal also. After numerous emails to DJI they told me to send it back to DJI in Kowoon, China (at my own expense) and they would advise me how much it would cost to fix. I was about to send it when I read several posts about people returning them and DJI had them for like 6wks and still hadn't repaired them.
Mine flies perfectly well now without the camera, so I'll use it for testing/spares. I ordered a new one and got it 2 days ago but haven't been game enough to take it flying... lol. Lost confidence in it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj