P2 with H3-3D Issue

Reaction score
I seem to be having an issue with my H3-3D gimbal. I purchased the H3-3D gimbal used from someone who said he's only used a few times and it works fine. Well I installed it on my P2 and all it does is point down. When I first turn the phantom on the camera faces correctly at 90 degree's then it points down and stays there. I can't seem to point it up or pan up and down for that matter. Playing with the lever on the controller doesn't do anything either. Latest firmware is installed.

Any help??

Attachments

• 20151028_183108_resized.jpg
    20151028_183108_resized.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There is a specific order in which to update & calibrate. If it is out of order a similar thing happens. I have had it happen to me a few times. The camera either goes all the way up or all the way down. Another time it starts to go up then immediately goes down. I re-did the calibrations in order & it worked again. One it took two times of going through the steps to get it right. It has been a while so you will have to search out the process either here, the DJI site or you tube.

Try turning on the RC first, then connect it to the assistant and see if that helps.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There is a specific order in which to update & calibrate. If it is out of order a similar thing happens. I have had it happen to me a few times. The camera either goes all the way up or all the way down. Another time it starts to go up then immediately goes down. I re-did the calibrations in order & it worked again. One it took two times of going through the steps to get it right. It has been a while so you will have to search out the process either here, the DJI site or you tube.

Try turning on the RC first, then connect it to the assistant and see if that helps.

It doesn't help. I changed the batteries also and that didn't work. The software is not detecting my RC.

It doesn't help. I changed the batteries also and that didn't work. The software is not detecting my RC.

No, for some reason the RC Assistant software will not detect my RC.

Now in the P2 Assistant Software though in the X1 Caliberation, I clicked Normal instead of it being REV and the gimbal is now at 90 degrees but not sure that is the fix for the gimbal issue. Another thing I'm noticing is the lever on the back of my controller is not controlling the up and down span of the gopro. How can I get that fixed?

You should do that in the RC assistant. Are you using the supplied cable that came with your Phantom? Have you tried a different cable? Are you using a PC or Mac?

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 11.42.44 PM✨.png

Ok, was finally able to connect my RC and have calibrated it and installed the newest firmware. The RC assistant software however does not allow you to turn on that lever to control the gimble. Where is that done at?

Screen shot please or more description. There is one gimbal setting that is used for non-Zenmuse gimbals. Don't check that one. I'm not looking at the screen so I don't recall the exact layout of where it is.

Screen shot please or more description. There is one gimbal setting that is used for non-Zenmuse gimbals. Don't check that one. I'm not looking at the screen so I don't recall the exact layout of where it is.

Here is what I'm looking at with the RC assistant software. There is nothing there for the lever options. Am I looking in the wrong place?

The other snapshot is of the RC tab in the Phantom 2 Assistance software. Another concern I'm having is shouldn't the X1 level be in the middle? Mine is not. In the Assistance software, do I need to have it in Naza Mode or Phantom mode?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
This may seem a little complicated...

The rear slider is working fine but wont work as intended.
You need to understand what "basic" vs "upgrade" mode means.
Basic is absolute values. Eg Value 1000 = 90 degs, value 0 = 45 degs, and negative 1000 = 0 degs (preferable on the rear slider).
Upgrade is relative and requires return to centre spring mechanism to work properly. What relative means, is that the further you push from centre, the faster the camera tilt will travel. Once you let go, the camera will stop.

Basic works best on older remotes with rear slider (no return to centre).
Upgrade works best on new remotes (return to centre).

Now the problem is that the (older) controller you have is using the rear potentiometer (pot) and slider. This pot is overly sensitive as it has only 10mm-15mm of travel and no return to centre function.

Your best bet is to get the newer version controller with the built in lipo and shoulder mounted spring loaded tilt dial.

Your other alternative is recalibrate the X1 slider in BOTH the RC12 and Phantom Assist. Then nominate basic mode and move the slider delicately to get the correct position.

Also check in P2 Phantom assist > Advanced > Gimbal.
Make sure gain = 5, Vert = 0, Horizontal = 0

And finally, there is a possibility that the rear pot has been maxed to 1 direction and only allows 1 direction of travel. If this is the case, you need to open up the controller and re-centre the pot (use a Phillips head, turn max to 1 direction, then turn the opposite direction and count the turns. Half this and you will find the centre. Recalibrate again).

Last edited:
This may seem a little complicated...

The rear slider is working fine but wont work as intended.
You need to understand what "basic" vs "upgrade" mode means.
Basic is absolute values. Eg Value 1000 = 90 degs, value 0 = 45 degs, and negative 1000 = 0 degs (preferable on the rear slider).
Upgrade is relative and requires return to centre spring mechanism to work properly. What relative means, is that the further you push from centre, the faster the camera tilt will travel. Once you let go, the camera will stop.

Basic works best on older remotes with rear slider (no return to centre).
Upgrade works best on new remotes (return to centre).

Now the problem is that the (older) controller you have is using the rear potentiometer (pot) and slider. This pot is overly sensitive as it has only 10mm-15mm of travel and no return to centre function.

Your best bet is to get the newer version controller with the built in lipo and shoulder mounted spring loaded tilt dial.

Your other alternative is recalibrate the X1 slider in BOTH the RC12 and Phantom Assist. Then nominate basic mode and move the slider delicately to get the correct position.

Also check in P2 Phantom assist > Advanced > Gimbal.
Make sure gain = 5, Vert = 0, Horizontal = 0

And finally, there is a possibility that the rear pot has been maxed to 1 direction and only allows 1 direction of travel. If this is the case, you need to open up the controller and re-centre the pot (use a Phillips head, turn max to 1 direction, then turn the opposite direction and count the turns. Half this and you will find the centre. Recalibrate again).

Yeah I opened up the controller and played with the pot and even turning the screw back and forth did not register much with the software (controller was connected to pc). I gave up and just purchased the upgraded controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic