P2 with H3-3D Gimbal Crashed and died - Power loss

Reaction score
Oh well that's another one gone.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1eP-uEqmqZY[/youtube]

The crash is at 3:18 and you can hear the motors stop.
I was flying for a few minutes when all power went. Lights went out, Props stopped, heart sank.

I'd been so careful to check everything. The battery was fully in and I'd checked it twice. It was calibrated it and it was flying fine as you can see in the vid. The battery still had 3 1/2 lights left

It snapped an arm and the motor is now twisted and the case cracked all along the arm. It powers up but lots of beeping and flashing of all colours. Obviously it won't fly again.

Contacted my dealer and they've just said to send it back and they'll take it from there. :-(

mikouk said:
Oh well that's another one gone.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1eP-uEqmqZY[/youtube]

The crash is at 3:18 and you can hear the motors stop.
I was flying for a few minutes when all power went. Lights went out, Props stopped, heart sank.

I'd been so careful to check everything. The battery was fully in and I'd checked it twice. It was calibrated it and it was flying fine as you can see in the vid. The battery still had 3 1/2 lights left

It snapped an arm and the motor is now twisted and the case cracked all along the arm. It powers up but lots of beeping and flashing of all colours. Obviously it won't fly again.

Contacted my dealer and they've just said to send it back and they'll take it from there. :-(
Ouch man, sorry to see this :?

Looks like a major power outage. Have you checked the battery status and other params in the assistant, does all look normal there?

What firmware are you running for the main board and gimbal?

I haven't afterwards but I did just before I flew it and all was fine. It's all packed up now so tricky to do.

It had the latest firmware for everything. Might that have something do with it?

Thanks
Mark

Sorry to see that happen and worrying. :( Seems as if battery failure has replaced flyaways. Nice footage before it crashed. Do you have FPV on it as well? I have read on other forums that the P2 with H3-3D gimbal and FPV setup- you should not fit the prop guards as that according to DJI takes you over the recommended weight. Though that would hardly cause power loss. Seems a bad idea from DJI to now have a setup where adding their own prop guards might not be a good idea!

bill

****, sorry to see that. Its posts like this that make me scared to death every time i go out to fly it.

One P2 that I recently bought never powered up properly - the lights would start as normal, but as soon as it got to the tones it would shut down, followed by the battery a couple of seconds later. When I checked the board voltages I discovered that in fact the battery was killing power to the board at that moment, rather than the P2 aborting power up. It was not battery-specific - a number of batteries all behaved exactly the same.

Now I'm wondering if this was closely related to the problem of power loss while flying, since it appears that certain conditions in the P2 can trigger the battery to kill power to the main board. Presumably all the battery knows about is current draw and voltage excursions (spikes) on the supply line. My first suspicion would be excess current draw suddenly pulling the battery voltage below the shut-off voltage.

I don't have that P2 to test anymore however - it went back to the dealer.

Sorry about your crash.

That's a beautiful neighborhood in your pre-cash footage. Looks as if someone narrowly missed getting bonked when your motors stopped.

I had a P2 (H3-2D) fall out of the sky and pancake onto a boulder a couple of weeks ago while flying in Arizona. Happened in the blink of an eye.

My bird had survived numerous hard landings and outright crashes, so I wasn't completely surprised. The impact crushed the NAZA, punctured the GPS canopy and decapitated the gimbal. Surprisingly, the GoPro was fine.

After the crash, I found one of the metal screw posts from the upper shell floating around inside. I'm almost certain it had come loose in a previous crash (the P2 was mostly being held together with cable ties at the time since most of the receiving posts were already broken) -- so one possibility is that the broken post might have bounced onto the circuit board and caused a short.

Anyhow, I assume that with an H3-3D your Phantom must have been brand new, or nearly so. That really hurts!

sar104 said:
One P2 that I recently bought never powered up properly - the lights would start as normal, but as soon as it got to the tones it would shut down, followed by the battery a couple of seconds later. When I checked the board voltages I discovered that in fact the battery was killing power to the board at that moment, rather than the P2 aborting power up. It was not battery-specific - a number of batteries all behaved exactly the same.

Now I'm wondering if this was closely related to the problem of power loss while flying, since it appears that certain conditions in the P2 can trigger the battery to kill power to the main board. Presumably all the battery knows about is current draw and voltage excursions (spikes) on the supply line. My first suspicion would be excess current draw suddenly pulling the battery voltage below the shut-off voltage.

I don't have that P2 to test anymore however - it went back to the dealer.
Sounds very plausible. We all fear this, this is a worrying problem. Imagine it cutting out over water, or worst - people.

Hmmm maybe it is the Battery, I've got three. I'll send the one back which was in the crash.

Yes it's only three weeks old but has been flown quite a lot

I'd taken the FPV off to prevent overweight and I wanted to keep the prop guards on as I was in a public place.

Not my neighbourhood i'm afraid, it's a friends place. It's stunning, perfect for using a drone….. :-(

Yes I did nearly land it on someones head. He appeared just at the wrong moment. I'd been so careful to make sure there was no-one around in case something like this happened. However he also saw it happen and said that he saw all the lights go and the props stop.

Here's a pic of the damage

IMG_0789_zpscf49e2d6.jpg

Cheers
Mark

This seems to be happening with an increasing regularity on the P2!

I notice it was during an accent (albeit a slow one) which would increase the current draw.

I can't help but keep coming back to these bloody awful 'smart/stupid' proprietary batteries which DJI have locked people into using. It seems they are failing under load (possibly not up to their C rating?) or it maybe something as simple as the ridiculous two prong connection they are using.

They should have designed the P2 to take regular lipos like the P1. But oh no, DJI thought they could screw people over a bit more by holding them to ransom on the choice of battery as well !

It's now coming back to bite them in the arse and I doubt very much that this one can be fixed by a bugware...sorry firmware update!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31