P2 with extended legs into cheap peli style case.

Reaction score
I've recently worked a way to get my P2 into a cheap Maplin Hard case.
I'm a photographer and so have added extended landing gear on my quad so I don't get the legs in shot when shooting wide. I also wanted a bit more stability and room on the quad for my FPV kit etc. Problem is, to get a peli case to carry my kit that was big enough to do the job was going to cost me over £200 and would be large if I wanted to get the quad in with the legs on etc.

After a bit of thought i came across a workaround, and I'm very happy with it so I thought i'd share it with you.
I must state at this point that I take NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU DOING SIMILAR TO YOUR QUAD. I just thought it might be useful for some.
The basic idea was to use a smaller (£40 maplin) case and make the legs on the quad removable so I wouldn't need quite so much depth in the case. As I still had my original legs for the quad I thought I could experiment and see what could be done with the extended ones.
I took my dremel and fabricated some slots in the landing gear so that the fastening screws could be loosened and the legs easily removed. Then all I had to do is remove the connections to the IOSDmini, Compass, Canbus, and disconnect the receiver antennae from the legs and they could easily be removed. As long as I make sure to reconnect everything when re-attaching the legs and BEFORE I switch on the unit all should be ok. Be aware that the compass MUST be fixed to the leg and calibrated, and the unit is ONLY SWITCHED ON WHEN THE LANDING GEAR AND CONNECTIONS ARE IN PLACE.
Initially I put all of my electrics (FPV wiring, IOSDmini etc) inside the bodyshell of the P2 but I wouldnt recommend it as I began to get interference with the naza.
After a bit of juggling and cutting the foam etc I now have a setup I'm very happy with, I've disassembled/re-assembled the quad numerous times and all is fine. It takes barely 3-4 mins to connect everything including FPV and means I have a case that is small enough to put in the car and carry around without a struggle, but is big enough to hold my RC, Fatsharks, GoPro's, Batterys and Antenna's etc too.
It'll even go in with the rotors on at a squeeze and there's enough room under the quad for a gimbal.

The P2 with the legs on
photo.JPG

And in the case
s.JPG

a.JPG

Modified Landing gear
q.JPG

All cased up
df.JPG

Good idea.

I've been trying to think of a solution to this. Can't believe DJI released that gimbal with those legs on it. Bought the Phantom 2 and Zenmuse 3D gimbal on the weekend and can already seen huge design floors.

First one being those plastic safety pins the get you to install to hold the gimbal together get in the way of the gimbal itself. Mine couldn't pan properly without hitting the back pin.

And then it only takes the slightest pan before the BUS and leg come into shot so I have no other choice but to get wider and taller legs.

Was the compass easy to install back on the new legs?

FYI. I am working with Peter at Acesdeals.biz

He has a pelican case being released soon that will have pre-cut foam to accomodate ANY Phantom and removable inserts to accommodate the extended wide landing gears.

d4ddyo said:

He has a pelican case being released soon that will have pre-cut foam to accomodate ANY Phantom and removable inserts to accommodate the extended wide landing gears.

Do you know what case he's basing it on? I have a Pelican 1560 and I think it would be very close to fitting with the extended wide legs, I'd have to cut out the eggshell at the top but I think it would fit. Does anyone here have a total height without props?

mcmax20 said:
d4ddyo said:

Do you know what case he's basing it on? I have a Pelican 1560 and I think it would be very close to fitting with the extended wide legs, I'd have to cut out the eggshell at the top but I think it would fit. Does anyone here have a total height without props?

from what I understand it's similar... It's another case made by the same mfg. of Pelican. similar to 1560 with rollers and pull out handle.

it's 16cm to the bottom of the arm in height. 4cm taller than standard.

d4ddyo said:
mcmax20 said:
d4ddyo said:

from what I understand it's similar... It's another case made by the same mfg. of Pelican. similar to 1560 with rollers and pull out handle.

Any idea of price? Would love a case where I could keep the extender legs on so I dont need to remove antenna, compass bus etc each time

Any idea of price? Would love a case where I could keep the extender legs on so I dont need to remove antenna, compass bus etc each time[/quote]

from what I understand he's able to get it under $200.

Thanks for that, I can fit an extra 4cm. Just need to cut out a bit where the motors rise up.

mcmax20 said:
d4ddyo said:

A P2 will fit in a peli 1560 with extended legs on but it's a big case!!

Joel_t said:
Good idea.

I've been trying to think of a solution to this. Can't believe DJI released that gimbal with those legs on it. Bought the Phantom 2 and Zenmuse 3D gimbal on the weekend and can already seen huge design floors.

First one being those plastic safety pins the get you to install to hold the gimbal together get in the way of the gimbal itself. Mine couldn't pan properly without hitting the back pin.

And then it only takes the slightest pan before the BUS and leg come into shot so I have no other choice but to get wider and taller legs.

Was the compass easy to install back on the new legs?

yep everything goes on ok...just make sure to put it on the upright section.

PhotoPilot said:
mcmax20 said:
d4ddyo said:

A P2 will fit in a peli 1560 with extended legs on but it's a big case!!

Personally I find it's a really nice sized case and not too heavy for transporting around. It is borderline being able to fly with it as carry-on, but I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it. I am amazed at how much can be put in there but when I get my extended legs then it'll be pretty much full. Luckily, for now, that's a moot point since I have everything I want to my P2... Ok maybe I'll squeeze a flytrex V2 in there! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj