P2 Props + MadDog 2700 = 4 minute improvement

Reaction score
For my own amusement, I wanted to test these back to back in the same environment (besides, darn spring winds outside right now) to see for myself if there were any gains worth mentioning. Definitely worth the money, no questions.

These results mirror my initial flight time testing outside with the stock setup - About 8 minutes. Oddly enough, 8 minutes is exactly what I got when I did a 1km (.6 miles) FPV flight, so I'm not really seeing any difference between 'hover time' and a leisurely stroll out to 1km.

4 Minute flight time improvement
Of course, your mileage may vary, depending on how heavy you have your quad loaded and what accessories you are powering.
Next step is to strap an additional 2700mah battery to the bottom and shoot for 15m :)

P1 props + stock 2200mah battery vs. P2 props + MadDog 2700mah battery.

Load:
FatShark 250mw VTX
GoPro Hero 2
iOSD & PMU v2
Anti-jello mount

P1 2200mah battery has 3 cycles
2700mah MadDog has 1 cycle

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83c3VzOHKag[/youtube]

Nice improvement! I love my maddog 2700 batteries. I get 11-12 minutes flight time with P1.1.1, zenmuse, gph3b+, iosd mini, 500mw fpv tx, and btu.

i'm getting like 9 minutes with 1.1.1, maddog 2700, a gimbal, & gopro hero3+.

i ordered some p2 props to hopefully get close to 11 min. I don't have iosd or anything so i basicallly keep it in LOS the last few minutes to watch for the red lights blinking back-to-back and land it immediately.

kydan said:

i ordered some p2 props to hopefully get close to 11 min. I don't have iosd or anything so i basicallly keep it in LOS the last few minutes to watch for the red lights blinking back-to-back and land it immediately.

If I'm going to put P2 props on my P1, don't I have to change the motors since those props are self-tightening?

FangsCPO said:
kydan said:

If I'm going to put P2 props on my P1, don't I have to change the motors since those props are self-tightening?

My 1.1.1 is self tightening props. What version is yours? Someone will have to help you with that answer as all I know is the 1.1.1 is compatible.

FangsCPO said:

Do you not have the cross-threaded DJI stock motors? (two black prop nuts, two grey prop nuts)

If you have those, you can use the P2 props now. If not (four black prop nuts), you'll need to replace two motors to be able to use them.

There are also 'knock off' non self tightening p2 props as well as many other 'standard' props out there. Not sure how beneficial it is to replace motors, just so one can run DJI self tightening props?

I have a stock FC40 with p2v props and a 2700 maddog and generally manage 14-15 minutes.. I just got the 5200 walkera battery but haven't had a chance to fly with it yet to see what it will do but am very curious!

Howzit said:
There are also 'knock off' non self tightening p2 props as well as many other 'standard' props out there. Not sure how beneficial it is to replace motors, just so one can run DJI self tightening props?

That's really just up to the user, I didn't mean to suggest that it was worth it to swap motors. DJI does make non-self tightening 9443 props now too, so you don't even have to use knockoffs if you want to go that route.

Just weighed it.

Includes GoPro 2 and all FPV gear.

AUW w/ MadDog 2700mah = 1082g

MadDog 2700mah = 201g
Phantom 2200mah = 170g

OI Photography said:
Howzit said:
Includes GoPro 2 and all FPV gear.

Do you have a gimbal with that?

Nope.

To be exact:

GoPro Hero 2 w/ the Phantom GoPro case
Anti Jello Mount
FPV - 600TVL cam, iOSD, PMU v2
P2 props
MadDog 2700mah

He may loose some of those 4 minutes if he had a gimbal onboard. I've got a P1 v1, HERO3, ARRIS CM2000 v2 Gimbal, Carbon Fiber Props and I'm getting 6 minutes with my Dronefly 2250 mAh 45C Lipos. I want to add FPV, iOSD and upgrade the board. I wonder how much flight time I would loose.

FangsCPO said:
He may loose some of those 4 minutes if he had a gimbal onboard. I've got a P1 v1, HERO3, ARRIS CM2000 v2 Gimbal, Carbon Fiber Props and I'm getting 6 minutes with my Dronefly 2250 mAh 45C Lipos. I want to add FPV, iOSD and upgrade the board. I wonder how much flight time I would loose.
depends on your final weight, but you are already at the low end of the range, so I suspect you've taken the biggest efficiency hit already. Probably no more than 45-seconds to 1 minute less.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20