P2 pilots with Gopro to new P3

I bought my first phantom 2 h3-2d when the dji release it before i think 1,5 year.Until now i fly it with the h3-3d gimbal without a problem and i never had any issue with it from the first day i bought it.

Yes, and you're not alone. But neither are the people with multiple flyaways, dead batteries after a couple flights etc. We can only guess the percentage of faulty products. It shouldn't happen, especially not in a 3rd generation product. That's why I'll be happy if DJI proves me wrong. They just won't see my cash until I feel they've proven it.

That's an interesting attitude.
You won't try newer firmware even though the vast majority of users have no problems with it because some users have reported issues.
You put a huge weighting on any reported issue but very low weighting on thousands of users having no issue.
So when no-one reports any issues, it will be acceptable to you.
The P3 might be obsolete before you try one with that logic.

There are no available statistics as to how many birds are/were effected. This forum is a bad sign for or against my approach, but there is not a better way currently available.
I use my P2 to make money. I can't risk spending days tinkering with upgrades/downgrades and figuring out why somethings different or why I'm autolanding all of a sudden, while telling clients to wait while I figure it out.

Last edited:
That's an interesting attitude.
You won't try newer firmware even though the vast majority of users have no problems with it because some users have reported issues.
You put a huge weighting on any reported issue but very low weighting on thousands of users having no issue.
So when no-one reports any issues, it will be acceptable to you.
The P3 might be obsolete before you try one with that logic.
And not only this don't forget how many phantoms was sold last year,i think i read somewhere a million.

Im surprised at all the GoPro users who have not stated they wouldnt be switching because of the lack of filter support for the camera. I for one, cannot go back to the Vison+ problem of continual flickering of video due to the camera and the fact i couldnt cut down the shutter. I have gotten such great quality from my GoPro4 Black with the Snake River Prototyping filters (ND4,8, CP's) that even if this camera is all that, you will still have jello, prop shadows, and exposure flickering. It all depends on the quality you want out of your stuff. Im a bit of a perfectionist. The bird is wonderful, price is great (not hot on having all new batteries) but the one thing that keeps me from getting it is the lack of slip on filters.

Yes, and you're not alone. But neither are the people with multiple flyaways, dead batteries after a couple flights etc. We can only guess the percentage of faulty products. It shouldn't happen, especially not in a 3rd generation product. That's why I'll be happy if DJI proves me wrong. They just won't see my cash until I feel they've proven it.

I think that's a smart position to take. Unless there's something there that you need right now, why take the risk? If you have the time and wherewithal to "see how it goes" and need to be the first on your block with a P3, then jump in; the water is warm. Hot even. Who knows... it may boil!

Counterpoint would be that this one has a better chance of going well in that it is basically an Inspire in a P2 shell and all the Inspire owners did most of the beta testing for you. We'll see.

So i ask the question why are you on phantom pilots and a thread that was simply to ask how many P2 owners had gone for P3's. I think that maybe the 3DR iris forum would be more for you.

After some 2,700+ posts on this site, only now -- through your exceptional intellect -- have I realized I ought to be on another forum. Thank you for the brilliant advice.

There is one thing that DJI does have in common with Apple, the ability to inspire unquestioning fandom despite the large sums of money involved. I like Apple myself, I have an iPad 4 and an iPhone 6 , but a couple of years ago I happened to be in Covent Garden when a new iPhone was released, and the queues outside the Apple Store were enormous, people had obviously been queuing all night because they had to have the very latest iPhone.

I have the P2 wth GP4black and what I miss on the P3 is the 2.7k mode 50/60fps which is what I mostly shoot with (still early but also seems GoPro4 shoots better quality video).
I expect the P3 will have the ability to dial some expo to slow down the yaw rate but still no reports about it.
Also telemetry is nice but is it possible to save as a csv file for later analysis? And what would it log apart from the usual GPS coordinates + speed - mainly will it log signal strenth, volts and amps and at what frequency?

The 720p transmission is nice but is it constant at 30fps or variable depending on signal strangth?
The additional flight time is great 23min compared to 15minutes but those are advertised times.

Still too many questions open for me (including reliability) to decide whether worthwhile purchasing.

ianwood my comment was not to you, You need to read the posts before in order to get a full understanding to what is being said to who. With that many posts i thought you would have the hang of it by now.

Thanks to the beta boys, I'm inspired to get the P3.

I think there will be no MAJOR issues. All the technology they put together was already available? Mostly in the inspire one. I think they must have ironed out most of the major issues. I have faith in them, must've done thorough testing throughout making it now with all the experiences they have.

To add to that I think they got the price bang on as well! But I get the feeling they are going to pull out even bigger product soon, inspire two with all new technology? That will have a big pricetag and make P3 owners feel small.

There is one thing that DJI does have in common with Apple, the ability to inspire unquestioning fandom despite the large sums of money involved.
US$999 for the Advanced isn't a large sum of money.
It's amazing value and half what was expected by most people.
A week ago the Inspire was the only way to get that technology - at almost 3 times the price of the 3A.
You don't have to be an unquestioning fanboy to be swayed by great features and a low price.

(still early but also seems GoPro4 shoots better quality video).
I expect the P3 will have the ability to dial some expo to slow down the yaw rate but still no reports about it.
Also telemetry is nice but is it possible to save as a csv file for later analysis?
The Inspire has been using the same camera all year so it's not too early to know how good it is. Hardcore Gopro fans believe nothing can be better than their cameras but the Inspire has shown it's ability.

All that info has been reported on. Check the RCgroups P3 post for details.

The biggest step forward is the camera. Using the hero 4 the barrel distortion is immediately very obvious. There is also no image stabilization. Not having a Gopro version of the P3 makes the decision easier, despite just buying the camera, but I don't think I would opt for it anyway. The advantage of the separate system is that the camera and gimbal can be replaced with less expensive versions if necessary but the advantage of the better camera makes the difference.

It's all about the camera to me. I fly to get video and photos only. I am really hoping for the camera to be excellent. It seems like DJI realized that there was a lot to be desired after the P2V+ camera.
Same here. BTW, where on the Oregon Coast are you (I am around Newport/Lincoln City regularly)

It's all about the camera to me. I fly to get video and photos only. I am really hoping for the camera to be excellent. It seems like DJI realized that there was a lot to be desired after the P2V+ camera.
Ditto, if it's the inspire 1 camera, it's actually pretty darn good. As I've tested my buddy's inspire. Only problem was, and this was a big problem is that for a 3000 dollar machine, they couldn't get rid of the jello. But I'm with you, only reason I never bought a vision + wasn't as good of quality as a GoPro, but that Inspire camera.... wow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers