P2 New version gimbal goes crazy in flight

Reaction score
This is the 2nd flight on my new P2 V2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro 4 black.
First battery pack all went well.
5 minutes through the second pack the gimbal goes crazy. Phantom remained stable but it was a funny site to see the GoPro being slammed left and right - was expecting to see it fly off at any second.
Strange thing is as soon as I hand catched the Phantom the gimbal immediately stabilized again.
Here's the video. Any ideas what the issue could be?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFuSd7OQXA[/youtube]

Did you counter balance it?

Yes I did - I added a coin to the left, not on the gimbal motor but behind it. So that now its balanced horizontally when power is off.

Luap said:
Yes I did - I added a coin to the left, not on the gimbal motor but behind it. So that now its balanced horizontally when power is off.

Yeah man... At first I was certain the phantom lost control...but since you're saying it was steady... You might want to check for loose wires? Have you crashed recently?

Yes Phantom was steady. I checked for loose wires but found all in order.
No crash/no tipovers - Phantom and Gimbal are new out of the box and this is only the 2nd flight.
Its kind of odd that as soon as I hand catch the landing gear, the gimbal re-stabilizes and works normally. You can see that pretty clearly on that video at 1:09 minutes

Luap said:
Yes Phantom was steady. I checked for loose wires but found all in order.
No crash/no tipovers - Phantom and Gimbal are new out of the box and this is only the 2nd flight.
Its kind of odd that as soon as I hand catch the landing gear, the gimbal re-stabilizes and works normally. You can see that pretty clearly on that video at 1:09 minutes

All firmware up to date?

Has it happened again? Because could also be interference?

Yes I was using the latest firmware 1.0.0.12 for the H3-3D IMU.
I'm also using the lastest firmware updates on the Phantom and TX.
I haven't flown it since, want to check any possible causes/fixes before.

Luap said:
Yes I was using the latest firmware 1.0.0.12 for the H3-3D IMU.
I'm also using the lastest firmware updates on the Phantom and TX.
I haven't flown it since, want to check any possible causes/fixes before.

Well... It doesn't seem to be a flight system issue correct? So... You might want to see if you can reproduce.

Do an IMU calibration on a proper levelled surface first. There might be a bias on the phantom that the h3-3d is trying to counter.

Check for any obstructions in the yaw and roll motors. Do this by moving it whilst the gimbal is off. If its not moving freely then look into it.

Another thing you can do is observe the limits of the gimbal. Power the phantom up with the gopro and rotate/tilt the phantom around until the H3-3D turns off and resets. See if there is an abnormal limit. Make sure you do the test with camera tilted at 90/45/and down. Makes sense???

The gimbal moves freely.
I had the limits set to max, I've changed them now to
Tilt control: 5
Horizontal limit: 0
Vertical limit: 5
I hope that's the issue - will only be able to fly this weekend though.
If not I'll do the IMU calibration - should I first do a basic calibration?
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Do the IMU Adv. This will also do the basic.
Just make sure you do it when you first power up the phantom.
Do it on a level surface and don't ignore the temp warning.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Did the IMU calibration but only managed two flights this weekend.
But no issues with the Gimbal since!
Now I have some slight shaking, jello during "fast" forward flights to get rid off - but the GP4 quality is way better than my Fc200 on the P2V :D

What rubber are you running on the gimbal? Although they are harder, I seem to have the best success with the white ones.

I'm using the white ones - I think I might lower my gains slightly to see if it gets any better.

Recently I got My P2 V 2.0 with the Zenmuse H3-3D and I did the same mistake of believing that it would work with my new GP4 Black but after many tests and frustration I send it back and in the process the new H4 3D was launched at CES in Las Vegas. Now I know it is not dedicated for this camera because the weight in the camera is distributed in a different way compared GP3 to the GP4 Black. (Mainly the battery position make big difference and also 14 extra grams wish mean I wont be able to add a ND4 filter or I will have to ad extra weights like coins) For me is a big NO don't use the H3 3D with the GP4.
I still waiting for the new gimbal.

Luap said:
I'm using the white ones - I think I might lower my gains slightly to see if it gets any better.

With white balls, reset to default and on the first 2 gain settings, change to 90/90.
Or
Just use the hard/dark grey blackish balls and leave on default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31