P2 + Lightbridge + Futaba 14SG = Nightmare for newb

Reaction score
I am a pilot in real life (http://www.facebook.com/CirrusPilot) but a total newb to Phantoms. Last Friday I bought a Phantom 2, Lightbridge etc from a dealer in San Jose CA. Without the lightbridge it flew fine. I then installed the lightbridge after watching videos online and the trouble starts. The dealer in San Jose said I had everything i needed. Nope! The standard DJ6 controller does NOT work with lightbridge. Took me hours of research and hair pulling to find that out. So i ordered a TS14G Futaba as I pretty much went by this guys setup http://skypixel.org/post/89635930124 and tried to follow the post exactly. I cannot for the life of me, despite watching tons of youtube videos of which none are detailed enough can get me to sync / bind the P2 with the Futaba.

Per Erics blog post, I even got the file from the DJI employee he got, https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7fxrtjcbg48pqp/P2_LB and imported it into the Futaba, that was also a freaking mission! still does not work. To help you help me, I have made a little video of what i have done and the setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5nbk8kiFYk

For the love of humanity please help me! This is honestly the most frustrated I have been with anything in life. Oh neither the lightbridge came with a mount or the Lilly monitor thing i got. I really expected the "internet" would have better well done tutorials for setting up some atrocities.

What is going wrong????? Please be detailed, and if you can do a step by step or a video I would appreciate it!

I'm not familiar with the Lightbridge setup process, but I'll move this thread to the Lightbridge section here where you'll probably get some better input.

A couple of potential problems are evident from your video, including a lack of information on exactly what you have done so far:

(1) LB air unit lights should both be green, but your video link light is red. Is the GoPro turned on, and set to a compatible video mode? You mentioned that the link was working, but it will not show any video without the video link functional. Have you managed to view video on the monitor?

(2) You did not mention calibrating the system. You obviously have the Futaba communicating with the LB, but you have to calibrate the Futaba - LB control link (using the LB Assistant software connected to the LB ground unit), and then calibrate the LB - P2 (using the Phantom Assistant software connected to the P2). You may need to change the endpoints on servo channel 7 in the Futaba to prevent the P2 defaulting to failsafe, but it did not appear that was happening so they may already be correct.

Thxs for the reply.

1) the lightbridge is connected. I have been able to see the video output. The link is green and I can move the camera up and down from the futaba.
2) I have used the calibration software and its a little confusing. Actually it's very confusing. The videos out there on YouTube have more options than the software I have. I have downloaded the latest.

I have the futaba connected to the lightbridge via a trainer cable per the instructions. I've started the calibration and follows the videos on YouTube. I aee things look calibrated. Everything is green and moves. I feel there is a fail safe mode on or something potentially.

Is there a video online that you recommend that is best to follow when setting up a futaba to the P2. There is no video which does that and includes the lightbridge.

OK - so you have both LB air unit lights green? In your video the video link light was red.

I haven't seen any good instructional videos, and I worked just from the guides. I don't think that you are in failsafe mode, because if you were then you would not be able to control the camera tilt. When you say that you have done the calibration, do you mean the LB calibration or the P2 calibration, or both? One possible reason for the motors not starting would be that the CSC was not producing full range input on the P2.

sar104 said:
One possible reason for the motors not starting would be that the CSC was not producing full range input on the P2

Hi not sure what you mean by CSC?
I did the lightbridge calibration and the phantom 2 calibration. Which manual did you follow exactly, did you connect the Futaba 14SG to the P2 with a lightbridge?

sar104 said:
OK - so you have both LB air unit lights green? In your video the video link light was red.
yes its connected. I get FPV out in HD. The gimble works to tilt. I assume you are not talking about the light under the phantom which is used to bind to a controller? I dont use that due to the lightbridge and i am wired directly to the lightbridge via a trainer cable.

Foxxer said:
sar104 said:
One possible reason for the motors not starting would be that the CSC was not producing full range input on the P2

Hi not sure what you mean by CSC?
I did the lightbridge calibration and the phantom 2 calibration. Which manual did you follow exactly, did you connect the Futaba 14SG to the P2 with a lightbridge?

CSC = combination stick command. That's pulling the sticks inwards and down in this case. I used the Lightbridge quickstart manual from the DJI website. Yes - my P2 in question is using the 14SG / LB combination.

If you connect to the P2 with the Phantom Assistant software and execute the CSC, do all the stick channels read +/- 1000? Note that the motors will not start when the P2 is connected to the computer though.

Foxxer said:
sar104 said:
yes its connected. I get FPV out in HD. The gimble works to tilt. I assume you are not talking about the light under the phantom which is used to bind to a controller? I dont use that due to the lightbridge and i am wired directly to the lightbridge via a trainer cable.

No - I'm talking about the two link lights on the front of the LB air unit. One is labeled "Control", and the other is labeled "Video". In your YouTube video the "Video" link light is red. They should both be green. If you have previously seen the video feed then fine, but in your demonstration something was not properly powered up or configured - probably the GoPro.

Foxxer said:
I am a pilot in real life (http://www.facebook.com/CirrusPilot) but a total newb to Phantoms. Last Friday I bought a Phantom 2, Lightbridge etc from a dealer in San Jose CA. Without the lightbridge it flew fine. I then installed the lightbridge after watching videos online and the trouble starts. The dealer in San Jose said I had everything i needed. Nope! The standard DJ6 controller does NOT work with lightbridge. Took me hours of research and hair pulling to find that out. So i ordered a TS14G Futaba as I pretty much went by this guys setup http://skypixel.org/post/89635930124 and tried to follow the post exactly. I cannot for the life of me, despite watching tons of youtube videos of which none are detailed enough can get me to sync / bind the P2 with the Futaba.

Per Erics blog post, I even got the file from the DJI employee he got, https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7fxrtjcbg48pqp/P2_LB and imported it into the Futaba, that was also a freaking mission! still does not work. To help you help me, I have made a little video of what i have done and the setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5nbk8kiFYk

For the love of humanity please help me! This is honestly the most frustrated I have been with anything in life. Oh neither the lightbridge came with a mount or the Lilly monitor thing i got. I really expected the "internet" would have better well done tutorials for setting up some atrocities.

What is going wrong????? Please be detailed, and if you can do a step by step or a video I would appreciate it!

Go to this Page,

viewtopic.php?t=8358

Follow his steps to the letter (other then removing tx board, dont have to) and download his futaba profile, it works with 14sg i have it. should be good to go i changed the gimbal control to the left slider and works great.

Then setup lightbridge after that works. I got it going with pretty much no effort. an iwas a noob about 3 months ago

Haze said:
Foxxer said:

Go to this Page,

viewtopic.php?t=8358

Follow his steps to the letter (other then removing tx board, dont have to) and download his futaba profile, it works with 14sg i have it. should be good to go i changed the gimbal control to the left slider and works great.

Then setup lightbridge after that works. I got it going with pretty much no effort. an iwas a noob about 3 months ago

The only problem with that approach is that it will require altering the Futaba channel 7 endpoints, and then recalibrating everything again from scratch. I don't think that the Futaba profile that he is using is the problem, so there may be a much simpler fix to get it working. That said, Ian's Futaba profile is a very good one.

sar104 said:
Haze said:
Foxxer said:

Go to this Page,

viewtopic.php?t=8358

The only problem with that approach is that it will require altering the Futaba channel 7 endpoints, and then recalibrating everything again from scratch. I don't think that the Futaba profile that he is using is the problem, so there may be a much simpler fix to get it working. That said, Ian's Futaba profile is a very good one.

u dont have to change anything? i didint. you have to recalibrate the lightbridge, but you have to do that the first time on any lightbridge so????? this worked for me and i changed nothing of his, i did no programming other then switching my gimabl control to the left slider. and i add a 2nd timer control and reset but thats mine.

Haze said:
sar104 said:

u dont have to change anything? i didint. you have to recalibrate the lightbridge, but you have to do that the first time on any lightbridge so????? this worked for me and i changed nothing of his, i did no programming other then switching my gimabl control to the left slider. and i add a 2nd timer control and reset but thats mine.

Interesting. I did have to change the Futaba channel 7 endpoints to work with the LB. The values in the profile (100) were too high, and it kept the P2 in failsafe mode. A number of other users reported the same issue, and used the same fix - dropping them to around 70. Not sure how you avoided that.

sar104 said:
Haze said:
sar104 said:

Interesting. I did have to change the Futaba channel 7 endpoints to work with the LB. The values in the profile (100) were too high, and it kept the P2 in failsafe mode. A number of other users reported the same issue, and used the same fix - dropping them to around 70. Not sure how you avoided that.

Oh Crap, you are right, i had to do that to , i totally forgot that.. lol That was really easy , just had to jkeep moving number till it slid into place.i was total noob when i did that futaba was new to me. I love the futaba and have set up a second timer for a shot timer so i can make sure i get enough of a shot for work.

this was VERY helpful. I got it working following that exactly. I used that guys model to import into the Futaba which worked. However the P2 crashed and pretty muched smashed my gimble, P2 and broke the lightbridge wires. It was flying fine until then suddenly it veeered off and down by itself.

Foxxer said:
this was VERY helpful. I got it working following that exactly. I used that guys model to import into the Futaba which worked. However the P2 crashed and pretty muched smashed my gimble, P2 and broke the lightbridge wires. It was flying fine until then suddenly it veeered off and down by itself.

that sucks man, you should post the video. and maybe people can help you figure out what went wrong, Any light flashing different then normal? Where u in Failsafe or Manual or GPS? did you fix the fail safe issue first by recalibrating the endpoints of fail-safe and manual, and such and Home lock course lock all good? train port plugged in and confrimed no RF is going, (allthough trainer cord should disable this) did you turn the controller on after plugging in the trainer cord? as you plug trainer cord in it turns on the futaba did you turn the futaba switch to on as you still need to to make sure its working fully? That all i can think of right ow... i wish the Lightbridge or P2 had downloadable telemetry(if thats right word) or a black box) data after such crash to see if errors or something.

Now i know why does the Fuataba 14SG dont turn on motors.
Its so simple. Try reversing de sticks. Most of all J2 (elevator) and J3 (rudder). if your try you will finally get the movement in your P2.

I havent donwloaded the profile from DJI, im only using Airplane model, with 2 aditional channel for the gimbal and GPS-Atti calibration. Set in Camber and Aux 1 inside the function menu and use the Switch your prefer or Slider.

Good luck

:geek: :geek: :geek:

What, finally did you do to start your motors? Was it just the simple elevator and throttle stick reversal? If not, what?

I wish there were a definitive guide to setting up an LB + Futaba + P2! I am in the same boat and these threads always seem to trickle off without final solution or they are incomplete. That and the information is scattered around the interwebs in different permutations and setups. I am most interested in what the solution was for the original poster since I have the same issues currently. Please, any help is much appreciated! Thx!

Well, I finally got it worked out by using a different profile for the futaba. still wish there were a comprehensive guide on this but it is sure a learning experience without one :)

the profile worked for me with 1 minor correction dont know why its that hard for ya...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav