P2, iOSD, IRC 600mW, Black Pearl - First Flight Success!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just posted this in another thread (where I was asking about FPV setups before I had bought anything). I thought it might be helpful to anyone considering a similar setup.

For a little background, I had the P1 for a while and loved it. Got the P2 with Zenmuse kit and loved it as well (minus the **** "J hook/drift" issue). Then I decided it was FPV time. After checking around, I went with the equipment listed in the subject line. The main draw for me about the Black Pearl is that it's self-contained (battery, receiver and screen all in one). I saw several reports of it not working well with the IRC 600mW but a lot of the posts contradicted each other. I decided to take the "risk" anyway. Turned out not to be so risky. Everything worked fine.

So, finally, the initial review...

---

Just came in from my first flight with the IRC 600mW transmitter and iOSD with Black Pearl screen. I am thoroughly happy with this setup!

Using just the stock whip antennae on everything it was pretty crap. After about 40-60m, there was a fair amount of static.

I then changed just the transmitter to an IRC/FatShark skew planar antenna. Picture was great until about 200m but still decent to about 300m.

Then I put an IRC/FatShark skew planar antenna on R2 of the Black Pearl (still just the stock whip on R1). Great picture to about 600m then it got a bit iffy.

Finally, I put a Circular Wireless helical axial antenna on R1 of the Black Pearl and that took me out to 1000m without much static! When the P2 was headed directly toward me there was a bit of static but still not that bad.

I was hoping for 500-600m of good picture, so I am more than happy with the 1km! I'm not trying to break any distance records. I just want to be able to see what I'm shooting for better footage. 1000m is great for my needs.

I had Tx and Rx on band F, channel 1 (5740Mhz), by the way.

The sun had set and it was getting dark so I didn't get to play with the "ideal" antennae combination for very long. If the wind is minimal tomorrow morning I'll give it another go and see what happens!

Best,

I read you used a Helical on your Black Pearl.

By any chance can you take a picture on how you mount it to your Black Pearl?

japaneezy said:
Do you have your Amateur Radio License?

Curious.. Do you need one for 5.8Ghz - 600mW in the states?

airbiscuit said:

Sure. Here you go...

bp-helical-skew.jpg

Ideally, a flexible adapter would be nice so I can easily adjust the vertical tilt of the antenna and point it as needed.

Best,

hook3m said:
japaneezy said:
Do you have your Amateur Radio License?

Curious.. Do you need one for 5.8Ghz - 600mW in the states?

Yes. You should seriously consider getting it regardless. It's a great hobby and useful skillset. Plus, then you can also use the lower ham bands for longer distance tx on aircraft control.

japaneezy said:
Yes. You should seriously consider getting it regardless. It's a great hobby and useful skillset. Plus, then you can also use the lower ham bands for longer distance tx on aircraft control.

Yeah, I just looked into it.. No FCC ID on the ImmersionRC Tx = license. A lot of law breaking going on...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MnCcj-Qwck[/youtube]

dbot3000 said:
airbiscuit said:

Sure. Here you go...

bp-helical-skew.jpg

Ideally, a flexible adapter would be nice so I can easily adjust the vertical tilt of the antenna and point it as needed.

Best,

Thank you for the picture.

I see you are using an L-Adapter. I am waiting for mine to arrive.

Flexible adapter? Did not know those exist.

dbot3000 said:
For a little background, I had the P1 for a while and loved it. Got the P2 with Zenmuse kit and loved it as well (minus the **** "J hook/drift" issue). Then I decided it was FPV time. After checking around, I went with the equipment listed in the subject line. The main draw for me about the Black Pearl is that it's self-contained (battery, receiver and screen all in one). I saw several reports of it not working well with the IRC 600mW but a lot of the posts contradicted each other. I decided to take the "risk" anyway. Turned out not to be so risky. Everything worked fine.

My head spins reading a lot of those contradicting posts! Thanks for the review. It sure is nice to hear a positive one. I am in the same boat with the "risk" choice. Still waiting for my IRC 600/BP/iOSD FPV to arrive. And a longer wait for antennas :(

Just went out to 2800m this morning! The attached photo shows it at 2496m, but I went a little further after taking the photo. The control signal then started getting a bit glitchy so I put it in reverse, then turned around and started heading home. The helical directional antenna is definitely the key!

http://californiastars.net/img/_other/P ... -2496m.jpg

P2-distance-2496m.jpg

Best,

dbot3000 said:
The helical directional antenna is definitely the key!

Where did you purchase it and about how much did you pay? I saw the same one on Amazon for about $90. Just wondering if that was high or about right.

dbot3000 said:
Just went out to 2800m this morning! The attached photo shows it at 2496m, but I went a little further after taking the photo. The control signal then started getting a bit glitchy so I put it in reverse, then turned around and started heading home. The helical directional antenna is definitely the key!

P2-distance-2496m.jpg

Best,

With an ImmersionRC uno or duo reciever you could almost double that.
just sayin............ ;)

dbot3000 said:

P2-distance-2496m.jpg

Best,

Where did you order these antennas, I have a similar set up on the way and am in cali..

Hey "stevet" and "hook3m",

I got the Circular Wireless helical antenna from a seller on Amazon ("MavBot" I believe was the name). And, yeah, a bit pricey at $85 but it's really necessary for anything over about 600m with the Black Pearl/IRC 600mW combo. The SpiroNET antenna combo pack (IRC/FatShark skew planar antennae) I bought from ReadyMadeRC along with some SMA adapters. The antenna combo pack was $40 and each adapter was about $5. I bought the Black Pearl from RangeVideo.

ALL e RC is another good outfit for various things.

It seems like most of these places sell all of the items but none of them ever have all of them in stock at the same time! So I did have to hunt and peck a bit.

Best,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20