Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P2 Ground Station & iOS 9.0.2 - Is it still working?

Discussion in 'DJI Ground Station' started by LuvMyTJ, Oct 14, 2015.

1. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have heard conflicting reports on wether iOS 9 breaks functionality of Ground Station for the P2 (not P2V or P2V+). Can anyone confirm or deny is still works?

2. johnbig

iOS 9.0.1 and 0.2 definitely break GS. If you turnoff Bluetooth the app runs. Turn it on and the app just goes away!!
    Johnbig

3. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes sir, you were one of the places that alerted me to it. I may just hold off on updating. I have it for the PC but it is more difficult to use.

4. johnbig

Hi Mozilla, I bought a 2nd hand iPad with IOS 8.3. The app wors ok with Bluetooth on but I haven't tested it at the field. I think I will have to reset the Bluetooth on the phantom because I haven't a clue what user name and pass word I used last year.
    Johnbig

5. johnbig

Hi modzilla, I've reset my Bluetooth in the assistant app and used a new password that I might remember next time. The GS app works perfectly in IOS 8.3 even though my Dual electronics BT GPS receiver doesn't even though it used to work in 8.4.1. I'm happy now because I love the GS app. I will have to find someone that can get me to IOS 8.4.1.
    Johnbig with a smile(even though it cost me 300 bucks for a 2nd hand iPad)

6. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Unfortunately you can not ever go to 8.4.1 as Apple no longer signs it. You either stay where your at or go to the current version.

7. johnbig

I think I can jail brake it and have any iOS I want. But have to find Apple expert first.
    Johnbig

8. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A little background for me... I am an Apple user since 1982. I have jailbroken every iPhone to date with the exception of the just released 6S. I just jb my 6+ last night to the new iOS 9 so I could update my Apple watch. I am keeping my iPad at iOS 8.4 (jailbroken) until I know that DJI has the GS problem fixed. By the way, I did write them about that... I don't really expect an answer though. We did have some DJI employees here but certain members ruined it for all of us by pissing them off.

Anyways, you can never go back to 8.4. Back on the early iOS days there was a way if you used another program to save a particular file from your phone, but that option is long gone now. Your best option at this point is to keep on DJI to fix the app. Not a good option but all there is. I know I have started to bug them. ;)

9. Ornate001

Hi Johnbig,
    (First ever post for me)
    I find myself in the same situation as you.
    I had just got an iPad (my first) and had everything set to use GS when the iOS 9 was offered. Of course being new to Apple, I installed.
    After all the expense, I never got to fly using GS.
    I am also now going down the second hand iPad. Gee, I really hope this works?!?!?
    Thanks for making us aware of the issues with the latest iOS.
    I too am from Sydney. We should compare notes some time.

10. johnbig

Hi Ornate001,
    I was lucky enough to get a second hand iPad with iOS 8.3. GS works again but my expensive Bluetooth GPS receiver doesn't. iOS 8 broke the Bluetooth 4 and didn't get fixed again till 8.4.1. So 8.3 is minimum but 8.4.1 would be better. You know that the wifi only iPads don't have a GPS receiver don't you? You don't need it for GS though. I live in Mortdale.

11. Ornate001

This sure is getting more and more complicated.
    The good news is that the "new" iPad is 8.4.1.

12. johnbig

I just updated to iOS 9.1!! It hasn't fixed GS though.
    Johnbig

13. Ornate001

You mentioned there being no gps in the wifi only iPads followed by it not being needed with GS. How does that work? So many questions.

14. johnbig

Hi Ornate001,
    The GPS in the phantom supplies the info to GS.
    Johnbig

15. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not sure why I haven't mentioned this before... GS comes in two flavors (used to be a bundle), one is iPad GS and also PC GS. If you are in a bind you can do it with a pc laptop. I use a PC tablet (WinBook 10.1). DJI used to sell a bundle of iPad & PC GS in the same box. Then for some reason they made it two separate packages. I bought mine about a year ago and I had to search for a seller who had it.

16. Jeff Lord

This iPad Ground Station issue is ticking me off greatly. My iPad is now on 9.02 and the Ground Station still doesn't work. I would like to fly waypoints to catch the leaves changing, but after a month with no fix, it looks like I'll have do it all manually, without the flexibility that GS gives. All the $$$ to add GS to my Phantom 2 and it's currently useless. ARRRGH!

17. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The iOS is not the problem Jeff, it is DJI who has not updated the app to work with iOS. All app creators must keep up with the new iOS but DJI has decided to push it to the back burner I guess. They can barely keep up with the GO app, I have little hope that they will fix GS for iPad soon if ever. :(

18. Jeff Lord

Agree that it's DJI's problem, but you would think that with the sales of the Bluetooth link, video transmitters, etc. that work on different platforms, that it wouldn't be so far down DJI's priority list. Sheesh!

19. Buk

Buk

Got to agree, with the implementation of waypoints in Phantom 3, Ground Station iPad will be ignored.

20. johnbig

Hi folks, the DJI Facebook page has an insider quoting November 15 for GS to be fixed for IOS 9.
    Johnbig