P2 First Flight

Reaction score
Just thought I would like many others share my first flight.

Been messing about with APM and 3D printed frames for a while, but got fed up with the amount of time I had to spend trying to get the flight controller tuned in properly so decided to go for a P2 with gimbal, what I have realised is all those hundreds of parameters you can mess around with and mess up on the APM are just a distraction from getting out and doing some flying.

Got to say the P2 is awesome, ran 2 batteries yesterday with added FPV gear and got around 40 minutes of flying, wind was around 15mph maybe a few gusts up to 20, P2 was rock solid even up at 100m, was a bit nerve racking at that height but looking forward to pushing it further.

I have linked a video at the bottom of this post, fairly common half speed shots with moody music, I need to practice more on a smoother yaw movement and also find something more interesting to capture but was a good start.

Still not got the hang of disconnecting and focussing on the FPV monitor fully, I think the lack of depth perception to objects especially more close up is difficult to get your head around to start.

The thing that bugs me about the P2 a little is that they have made it all nice and easy and tidy until you get to the add ons that you end up sticking on with tape, would be great to see a shell with ports you slide the whole iOSD mini or the datalink into for example if you wanted to add them as an option, I think that would complete the design. That being said it took no more than an hour to get the FPV gear installed, just a neater solution would be nice.... looking forward the firmware for the datalink and GS.

So now my APM drone is a side hobby when I have free time, just going to get the P2 out and have fun.

As an opinion what heights do you find you can send the P2 upto safely?

http://youtu.be/Bt7K_19dFJU

Thats all for now, Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark, the video looks nice and a great spot to fly too!

I presume being an early flight you are flying in ‘Phantom’ mode rather than NAZAM? What you’ll find when / if you switch over is that the bird flies a lot smoother in ATTI mode and yawing etc. is far nicer.

Flying purely on FPV is tricky at times and is definitely an acquired skill. Personally I like to use FPV to enjoy ‘the view’ but love flying just with the naked eye, particularly when I can get the P2 down low and fast.

Height depends on where you live and the local laws. In the UK it’s 400ft / 122m max. I like flying mine at around 50m as I know I am completely clear of trees etc. in the areas I fly. I have flown mine up to 1600ft…. once…. it was amazing footage from the GoPro but nerve-racking to say the least. I’ve not gone back there!

Look forward to seeing more of your vids 

Hi am the same as you when it comes to distance. I think its just getting used to it. Your vid was great though. My footage does not look as clear as that. What was the settings on your go pro?

glennbalsam said:
Hi am the same as you when it comes to distance. I think its just getting used to it. Your vid was great though. My footage does not look as clear as that. What was the settings on your go pro?

Hi, I had the go pro set to 1080 at 50fps I then converted it to 25fps with the go pro software to give half speed slow motion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1