P2 drifts vertically

Reaction score
I noticed when flying my P2 today that it drifted downwards and upwards and that i had to counter its motion by giving more thrust or decreasing the thrust when it wanted to go up.
This didn't happen all the time, at times it kept itself leveled on the same spot, as it should.
Its the first time I'm flying this used P2 so I'm not sure if it has been like this earlier also.

The thing is that there was about 7-8 m/s winds and wind gusts of about 11 m/s at the time of flying, but shouldn't the P2 have been able to handle the actual winds that were present at the time?
It also encountered a bit of side drifting, but the vertical drifting was the most noticeable.
If i had not increased the thrust it would have descended into the ground, or at other times continued to fly high up in the air.

I was thinking if it can be that the gain settings are not at its best, even though i asked earlier on a forum about my gain settings which is, Pitch: 125, Roll: 125, Yaw: 120, Vertical: 140, Attitude: 260, Attitude: 260, which they thought was normal values for the P2?
Im using a H3-3D gimbal and a gopro 3 on the P2.
I did a compass calibration on the flight spot before i began flying, and no power lines or towers near the site, and of course i waited until the P2 had a GPS lock and the green lights flashing before taking off.
This occurred when i flew in GPS mode, i didn't test any other mode.
Also the IMU calibration values are normal.

Can it be the wind that caused this behavior or is it more likely that it is the gain settings, or maybe something totally different?

I would really appreciate some input and ideas.

Last edited:
You can't judge this in one flight let alone the first flight.

Try flying more to better see the capabilities. Don't expect perfect position and altitude hold and realize the performance depends on current local conditions.

Mine varies on all most every flight, especially if I'm near a congested area like my house. If I'm flying at like ten feet, could change +-4 feet easily. Higher up it seems to vary less, but that is also due to my lack of caring at that point ;)

In the open field, the variation is much less and is often rock solid.

When flying low, I'm just prepared to make the necessary compensations.

As N017RW said, build up a sample size of flights and let us know.

If it NEVER holds altitude, then I'd be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your inputs, yes i have to fly it some more times.
The area i flew in was an open field, and the height at which this occurred were around 7-18 feet, didn't try it much higher.
But i guess i have to make some more test flights.

What about the gain values mentioned in my first post, do they look okay to you?

Thanks for your inputs, yes i have to fly it some more times.
The area i flew in was an open field, and the height at which this occurred were around 7-18 feet, didn't try it much higher.
But i guess i have to make some more test flights.

What about the gain values mentioned in my first post, do they look okay to you?

I believe those are the default on mine as well. You can click default just to be sure, but they look fine to me.

The gains shouldn't really affect stable hover in general, only really affects how quickly it returns to hover after releasing the sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20