P2 downgrade to 1.08 experience

Reaction score
I've had a P2 for a few months now and like everyone else, have gone through the various firmware upgrades and have seen performance and capability degrade little by little.

After the latest 3.04, I've had enough. I found the 1.08 version of Phantom Assistant software online and downgraded back to 1.08. After, I had an issue with H3-2D tilt control (X1) which was fixed using the RC Assistant and re-calibrating X1.

I took it out for a flight yesterday, wow, what a huge difference! It feels much more agile and responds quickly to stick changes. I can do full descents and pitch/roll at the same time! Top speed on ATTI feels nearly twice as fast. Also, my flights before were very crippled looking but now very smooth, fast and professional.

I love having a much faster descent rate because 2m/s is ridiculous with v3.x+. People on this forum are always scaring folks about prop wash and out of control descents.. I find that you just need an extra few meters to recover from fast descents, but that's it. In other words, you don't lose control for more than a few seconds as it recovers, don't let the people here scare you. In fact, if I'm up several hunderd meters up and want to come down quickly, I flip the switch into manual mode and basically put it in a controlled fall (it always keeps upright). I can bring it down at 15+ meters/sec this way.

For those wanting more control, flexibility and capability, I highly recommend downgrading to 1.08.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm doing the same as I type this but using H3-3D gimbal. Hoping it's fully functional. If so, I'm squatting on v1.0.8 and it'll take wild horses to get me to upgrade again.

I'm actually glad they slowed it down for beginner purposes.
Imo the software should have a Beginner - Amateur - Professional kind of setting that would update three different setting firmwares.

Guys, how are you downgrading? I downloaded the v2 assistant software and it won't let me downgrade from 3.04? Also does the 3d gimbal work on 1.08?

adam1 said:
Guys, how are you downgrading? I downloaded the v2 assistant software and it won't let me downgrade from 3.04? Also does the 3d gimbal work on 1.08?

Correct. V2 Assistant is no longer able to set back to v2. Your options are v1.0.8 or v3.x.

To get to V1.0.8, use the v1.0.8 Assistant. It can be found online in various places (search this forum).

So far so good with my H3-3D. Doing some test flights now but all seems ok so far.

damoncooper said:
adam1 said:

Correct. V2 Assistant is no longer able to set back to v2. Your options are v1.0.8 or v3.x.

To get to V1.0.8, use the v1.0.8 Assistant. It can be found online in various places (search this forum).

So far so good with my H3-3D. Doing some test flights now but all seems ok so far.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Let us know if you find any issues.

OK, downgraded to V1.08 as per above and all went well.

Only issue I have is that I am no longer have any readings on my Remote Controller via the Assistant V1.08. No battery, gains, joystick adjustments etc.

It does start the P2 and I gave it a quick test flight and all seems ok.

Any ideas on getting the RC to work with the Assistant software.

What gains and setup (ie: gimbal, gopro, iosd etc) are ya'll using with v1.08?

damoncooper said:
BigBadFun said:
What gains and setup (ie: gimbal, gopro, iosd etc) are ya'll using with v1.08?

I hit the default button in 1.0.8 Assistant. Seems to be goodness.

Damoncooper - is the x1 working ok with the 3d gimbal ?

i am currently on 3.0 now, but i started with the 1.08 and the 3d gimbal. If i remember correctly with the 1.08 i wasn't able to adjust the gimbal gain, and i saw that in the 3.0 they add an automatic compensation for the gimbal when you twist you phantom (in order to not see the phantom's leg). anybody confirm this?

gmrwhite said:
i am currently on 3.0 now, but i started with the 1.08 and the 3d gimbal. If i remember correctly with the 1.08 i wasn't able to adjust the gimbal gain, and i saw that in the 3.0 they add an automatic compensation for the gimbal when you twist you phantom (in order to not see the phantom's leg). anybody confirm this?

Sorry don't know the answer to your question but just out of interest. Once you downgraded to 1.8 you were able to then upgrade to v3?

adam1 said:
gmrwhite said:

Sorry don't know the answer to your question but just out of interest. Once you downgraded to 1.8 you were able to then upgrade to v3?

Yes

I would think, as I have played around with the gains, that 3.04 will respond as agile as any other s/w version with the gains tweaked, WITH the exception of the descent speed. Actually I found it way too agile with the default attitude gains of 260

Tom

damoncooper said:
adam1 said:
gmrwhite said:

Yes

So I downgraded to 1.08, it sorted out my x1 problem that I had with 3.04, there is still a bit of shudder and some random drops at low height which I was hoping would go with 1.8. Just out of interest damoncooper what version are you running now, did you go up to v2.0 or 3.0 and what are your thoughts, any concerns? I'm thinking of upgrading once again?

adam1 said:
Just out of interest damoncooper what version are you running now, did you go up to v2.0 or 3.0 and what are your thoughts, any concerns? I'm thinking of upgrading once again?

I was running 3.0.4 again after several positive reports, but I then had an incident where my P2 was lost. Several possible factors: pilot error, wind, VRS, v3.0.4 and/or the 3.0.4 default gains.

adam1 said:

you can download an earlier version of the assistant software from http://sharewith.excipere.com/.

start up the earlier version of software. Plug in your Phantom and it will tell you there's an update. The fact it's a downgrade is irrelevant. Away you go.

best of luck

Bmews

I always stayed on 1.08, never dared to upgrade, and with several horror stories I'll stick with it unless there are some good advantages. My only concern/wondering is, DJI states that max speed is 15m/s but it says "not recommended". I like to usually fly long distances and usually at max speed. I believe in GPS mode pitch attitude can be 22degrees, in attitude mode all the way to 25degrees. Just curious if this would be stressing the rotors/motors too much and this causing accidents? I guess nobody really knows the physical strengths of the phantom 2, but surely some of you have quite some experience with quads in general. So, while DJI says 'not recommended', you believe flying fully forward in attitude mode is problematic?

cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31