P2 Crash

Reaction score
Took my P2 out for its 10th flight today and after about 10 mins on the second battery it simply fell out of the sky for no reason. I am very conscious of fly-a-ways etc as it scares me to death thinking I have almost £1500 flying around without a lead or safety net!
I did all the usual checks and in was in GPS and it was behaving very well. I even turned my phone off and no wifi on Gopro. Both switches were up.
The P2 battery had about 50% left and started off with at least 8 satellites. All leads were checked and the compass recently calibrated along with the firmware.

Watch the video. If you hear or see something I have missed let me know but I checked everything again and all leads were intact other than the lead too the Zemuse gimbal that got ripped out when it hit the ground quite hard. In fact the impact was so hard it broke the aluminium gimbal frame?
http://youtu.be/UUdRoZPQixc

Hi mate,

listening to the motors in the video it sounds as if the P2 was struggling to find its level, i.e. stabilise itself. I have crashed twice because of this myself. It ONLY seems to happen when I descend to quickly. The P2 basically gets into a narrow corkscrew and it seems unable to get out of it.

I have since discovered that if I suspect it is happening, moving quickly can prevent the crash. You need to flip to Attitude mode (It only seems to happen in GPS) and leave the left stick alone. Pulling sharply full left or right on the right stick then pulls out of the roll then you can quickly add height again.

If you read the release notes on the newest firmware, this seems to have been an issue for more people than us as a new 3m/s descent speed has been added.

The P2 and P2V are more prone to Vortex Ring State because of their larger props which need slower downward air movement to generate the same downthrust/lift as the smaller P1 props. As a result the blades will stall sooner when moving down through the air. The P1's can descend faster than the P2's for this reason.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7902&p=69178#p69178

To be honest I was not looking as I was trying to get to grips with the FPV. the controls were near neutral but flying forward - no up or down. So my question would be to your answer is why would the P2 just suddenly change? I must admit I have not tried to fly it since it crashed as it missed 3 kids by 20 feet and felt embarrassed! Maybe one of the motors has a fault? Whatever it is it is as if it were shot down!
I'm going to take the head off to replace the lead to the gimbal but I will plug in to the PC to see if that comes up with anything. It would be good if they could incorporate some kind of fault log so these errors can be put right without guessing. I just feel worried now that this could happen again but maybe over water or a car or something. I'm not wanting to be negative but if this can just happen the way it did and more and more of these are being sold surely it's only a matter of time before something serious happens and tough regulations will be implemented.
Ayrflier said:
Hi mate,

listening to the motors in the video it sounds as if the P2 was struggling to find its level, i.e. stabilise itself. I have crashed twice because of this myself. It ONLY seems to happen when I descend to quickly. The P2 basically gets into a narrow corkscrew and it seems unable to get out of it.

I have since discovered that if I suspect it is happening, moving quickly can prevent the crash. You need to flip to Attitude mode (It only seems to happen in GPS) and leave the left stick alone. Pulling sharply full left or right on the right stick then pulls out of the roll then you can quickly add height again.

If you read the release notes on the newest firmware, this seems to have been an issue for more people than us as a new 3m/s descent speed has been added.

Mine did the same thing yesterday. I just installed new Maytech 9.4 x 3" carbon fiber blades. It just fell out of the sky and crashed on top of my roof.

Is it too far a stretch to say atmospheric conditions over the field might have contributed? Like a downdraft or something?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl