P2 Crash w/Video

wkf94025 said:
Not sure if you meant "release the throttle and also release the yaw " or "release the throttle and then yaw ".
The former is what I had been doing (followed by right stick in the upwind direction); the latter is what Marc is recommending, yaw'ing specifically in the opposite direction of ship yaw (assuming it is in fact yaw'ing in something of a "flat spin").

Who's up for some data collection? :D

Kelly

If it is a yaw-triggered VRS then presumably opposite yaw to that which caused it would be appropriate, but only if that yaw were continuing. In some cases at least, the yaw maneuver appears to have stopped when the VRS kicks in, and the aircraft is rotationally stable even though the motors are oscillating.

I really would like to test these ideas, but I don't want to stack one of my P2s into the ground in the quest to figure out the relevant mechanisms.

wkf94025 said:
Not sure if you meant "release the throttle and also release the yaw " or "release the throttle and then yaw ".
The former is what I had been doing (followed by right stick in the upwind direction); the latter is what Marc is recommending, yaw'ing specifically in the opposite direction of ship yaw (assuming it is in fact yaw'ing in something of a "flat spin").

Who's up for some data collection? :D

Kelly

The former, yeah correct.

This topic is super important to anyone who flies and might warrant its own thread I think, actually.

Hi guys..

My empirical data has been backed up by actual data... heh heh... The ONLY thing that I believe you want to counter immediately is the flat spin condition you can quickly reach when a net torque is spinning the Phantom2. Remove that yaw and you have half a chance of the autopilot self-stabilizing. It cant stabilize without lift so removing that sudden rapid horizontal component to the airflow under a high yaw will allow the airflow to stabilize enough for the NAZA to do its work. This was of course in my experience expecting the worst! [grin].

So let go of throttle, yaw, and no translational (righ stick) control once the yaw is stopped. Then as it stabilizes, if you are close the ground you can throttle it up like crazy. I did that with the very first VRS where it bounced. I have this all on video. I should post that... You can hear the prop getting chipped clear as day.

I think this is workable. So far it has rescued the me twice and prevented two or three during the 'onset' I talked about previous post...

My understanding of VRS recovery is release the throttle and use elevator or aileron to punch out. If you're in a spin, I guess adding opposite rudder makes sense Sounds very much like an incipient spin recovery on a plane. I 100% agree there should be a thread dedicated to VRS and recovery techniques.

tom3holer said:
Haze,

I did not look at the entire video just the start and the end.

Was that one continuous flight? If so it was about 20 min long which should have exhausted the battery for sure.

Tom

+1 no 30 minute battery option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to move or copy a post to another thread? If so, I think Marc's yaw-correction post should go in the new VRS thread. Pardon my ignorance of forum management details.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Is there a way to move or copy a post to another thread? If so, I think Marc's yaw-correction post should go in the new VRS thread. Pardon my ignorance of forum management details.

Kelly

Hi guys..
Ok since leaving my post about the VRS recovery procedure I have had it happen at least 4-5 times since then and in all cases I have successfully recovered not by reacting to what it was doing but by reacting using the procedure I outlined. Like pilots going through a checklist you have to have faith it will work. I countered the yaw, allowed the NAZA to stabilize and punched the throttle the instant it stabilized. In every single case so far it has worked.

So I was NOT up for data collection Kelly but... I had no choice.. haha...

Curious what altitudes you experienced the VRS at, and if you've logged this data, how many meters you typically lose in recovery?

Kelly

Sorry, but 50% battery and a 20 min video does not measure up. OP can you please explain why you would post this kind of info amoungst evidence in trying to assess what happened?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20