P2 + CF props + handcatch = ouch

Reaction score
Ouch!!!

Not my video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc[/youtube]

I don't understand why people do this (hand catch) especially with prop guards.
I have tried it once without incident but I don't see the benefits. Unless you're looking for a trip to the er.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

How could this happen when there are prop guards there ? how to prop reach the arm with guards ?

AmosMoses said:
I have tried it once without incident but I don't see the benefits. Unless you're looking for a trip to the er.....

Like handling a cat, if you do it wrong it can bite you. I always (or my observer) always catch lands my P2z. It is all so easy to tip the craft as it touches down either from a faster than normal descent (we all have done it) or a very slow descent when about to touch down the wind can topple it. I have done around 100 hand catches without any injury. However you got to know how to do it, especially if you are on your own, as it means a one handed catch. Better a 2 handed catch by your observer.

This is how I do it - safely!

* Use a neck strap on the controller - for one handed control, you'll need it.
* Never, ever have it below head height when you catch.
* Turn it to face away from you - harder to catch with the camera facing you.
* Hover at that height and step towards it - don't back it right up close to you
* With one hand catch it using the upright part of the back landing gear nearer where it joins the body - be prepared for the forward leaning weight on your grasp.
* Keeping it above your head, with the other hand pull down fully with the left stick. After 3 seconds the motors turn off.
* Only now lower it below your head.

I hope this helps you understand why many Phantomers catch their aircraft and safely how to.

Have fun! - safely :)

IrishSights said:
Like handling a cat, if you do it wrong it can bite you.
I picture trying to hand catch a falling cat. They always land feet (claws) first. :D

syotr said:
IrishSights said:
Like handling a cat, if you do it wrong it can bite you.
I picture trying to hand catch a falling cat. They always land feet (claws) first. :D
Lol!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
AmosMoses said:

Like handling a cat, if you do it wrong it can bite you. I always (or my observer) always catch lands my P2z. It is all so easy to tip the craft as it touches down either from a faster than normal descent (we all have done it) or a very slow descent when about to touch down the wind can topple it. I have done around 100 hand catches without any injury. However you got to know how to do it, especially if you are on your own, as it means a one handed catch. Better a 2 handed catch by your observer.

This is how I do it - safely!

* Use a neck strap on the controller - for one handed control, you'll need it.
* Never, ever have it below head height when you catch.
* Turn it to face away from you - harder to catch with the camera facing you.
* Hover at that height and step towards it - don't back it right up close to you
* With one hand catch it using the upright part of the back landing gear nearer where it joins the body - be prepared for the forward leaning weight on your grasp.
* Keeping it above your head, with the other hand pull down fully with the left stick. After 3 seconds the motors turn off.
* Only now lower it below your head.

I hope this helps you understand why many Phantomers catch their aircraft and safely how to.

Have fun! - safely :)

Now that's an excellent reply! Thank you.
I guess I have been lucky. Even in gusty winds I haven't had any mishaps. I just always try to orientate the quad so it's facing into the wind. When the quad is abut 6" off the ground I drop the stick full down. It has tipped once but the prop guards kept the blades from hitting the ground.
Just seems to risky to catch it for me. I'd rather have a busted Phantom than a bunch of stitches! I'd also feel really bad if I ended up hurting someone else! Just my opinion of course.

IrishSights,
I like your method of hand landing your quad. I was thinking of doing just that when I received mine a few days ago. Once I saw the landing legs that can tip without much help. With bad weather and too much wind I have only landed five times so far. I like the landing on the video. Sort of finalizes the flight. If/When it does happen I break an expensive blade on landing, I just may switch to hand grab. That guy sure got chopped! Was thinking of guards but the jury is still out on that one. From reading comments on them, running about 8 to 4 against guards.
My cat comes down feet first and with a big thud. He runs about 19 pounds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20