P2 antenna placement

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had moved their P 2 antennas?

As I've noticed that Futaba recommend that the two antenna's on their receivers be positioned so that they are at 90 degrees to each other.

As the P 2, as 2 antennas and also uses FASST, i suspect that the same actually apples to the antenna placement with the original P 2 receiver.

However both antennas are actually in the same orientation, although on different legs of the undercarriage.

As I'd had to take my Phantom apart for other reasons, I'm tempted to try moving one of the antennas (its just a shame that the wires (mini coax cables) don't allow the antenna down to the base of the skid, as that would allow it to be at 90 deg to the other antenna and also a long way away from the battery and motors etc and other sources of interference

The logic behind diversity (dual antennae) receivers is that the 2nd one will help cover gaps in the 1st one's reception pattern. While a 90deg orientation is often the best way to maximize this effect, it's certainly not the only way, and any separation between the two can have a positive impact on overall reception signal strength at the Rx...especially on a platform such as the Phantom.

I do attach my 2 leads (from an aftermarket Rx) at 90deg from each other, but there seem to be plenty of reports of people getting extreme ranges without doing it that way. It can also depend on the exact mounting compared to the individual flight conditions. For example, just running both of them down the back of each leg may improve overall reception in the rear hemisphere of the aircraft (as opposed to just one antenna), but not make so much of a difference in the front hemisphere.

In short...mount them however you would like, then do a range test. If you don't get far enough out, then re-work your mounting.

Thanks @OI Photography

OK. I suspect that Futaba suggest 90 degree as they are catering for all aircraft types, i.e including fixed wing aerobatic, where they may be flying the aircraft for extended periods in strange orientations, where as the Phantom and other similar aircraft types are generally operating with the rotors facing upwards

So I"ll probably just put the antenna's back in their normal position, as at least I know they normally work in that location.

Thanks again

Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj