P2 and Sony Nex-7

Great photo chensiyuan. Nice "Spray & Shoot". Certainly better quality than the FC200. Visited Toledeo on a holiday a couple of years ago. Your photo brings back good memories.

I am looking at the Nikon J1 to try. It is the smallest changable lens camera on the market and it's cheap used. It has a slow motion mode and a built in intervalometer. It can do 60 FPS......
http://camerasize.com/compare/#124,33

2trickpony said:
I wanted to see if my P2 could fly with my Sony Nex-7 with 16mm lens.
I removed gimbal and gopro and attached the camera with 2 zip ties to the legs.
Camera hung below legs so had to hand launch/land.
Very impressed by the lifting power of the Phantom but obviously the controls were more sluggish and more care had to be taken when flying.
I attached a simple intervalometer to the camera and set it to take pics every 3 secs or so.

95% of photos taken were unusable due to vibration, wind and no gimbal. :cry:
Better image stabilization would have helped.

However I am convinced the Phantom can lift a lot more than people think but sacrificing flight time.
Higher res jpg here:
http://stuartlee.zenfolio.com/p936920093/e3636b43a
The original Sony raw file can be downloaded here:
http://stuartlee.zenfolio.com/img/g1024 ... jNWBJ40Sg=

Cosmonaut, you're sacrificing quite a lot of sensor size. The reason why people are attempting to put Sony NEX, Samsung NX or Sony RX cameras on their Phantoms is because they're lightweight, large sensor cameras.

The large sensor allows for shorter exposures, and/or better low light performance.

MonsieurAnon said:
Cosmonaut, you're sacrificing quite a lot of sensor size. The reason why people are attempting to put Sony NEX, Samsung NX or Sony RX cameras on their Phantoms is because they're lightweight, large sensor cameras.

The large sensor allows for shorter exposures, and/or better low light performance.

Yup agreed. Unless the aim is to shoot under very good (maybe harsh) daylight (which still requires, if shooting at f8 and smaller, 1/1000 and maybe 640 iso). I find I get the most acceptable sharpness at 1/1000 or faster.

enseth said:
Great photo chensiyuan. Nice "Spray & Shoot". Certainly better quality than the FC200. Visited Toledeo on a holiday a couple of years ago. Your photo brings back good memories.

Thanks enseth. Loved the photographic appeal of the place. Wished I'd tried a sunset shot, but there was quite a crowd at the hotel...

I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix P330. Only 200g and has 30sec intervelometer. Would that be a good choice?

Again, that's a smaller sensor than the other offerings, but it's very compact so you won't have to learn how to fly again, like with the heavier cameras.

It also has a very good stock lens, but it won't cut it for professional photography. Someone else on the forums was using a Nikon Coolpix. If you do a search you should be able to find them and ask them how it went.

Hey there - just checked out your custom modification mounts - nice work!

Do you have anything to mount a small compact in addition to the GoPro and 2D gimbal I have already installed? All I want is the ability to take better stills but use the gopro & fpv system to line up my shots.

chensiyuan said:
MonsieurAnon said:

Yup agreed. Unless the aim is to shoot under very good (maybe harsh) daylight (which still requires, if shooting at f8 and smaller, 1/1000 and maybe 640 iso). I find I get the most acceptable sharpness at 1/1000 or faster.

I understand about sensor size my main cameras and a Sony a7R and a D800. The J1 scores very low in DXO marks but so does Olympus. I doubt the FC40 would carry the a7R and if it did I doubt I would risk it. My biggest issue now is I don't like the wide distortion fisheye look of the GoPro.

chensiyuan said:
MonsieurAnon said:

Well I didn't account so much for faster shutter speeds needed as the drone moves. Good point.

In my view you're better off using a non-gimbaled camera for pure FPV as it will be a better representation of how you are flying. Also, when it comes to weight, the upper limit at least for my P2 is around 1400g. Bare, it weighs 900, so I doubt you could fit a stills camera and gimbal, and even if you could, you would be flying worse and for less time.

The mount on Shapeways should fit 2 cameras so long as they could fit out between the legs either side, but you will want to keep below 400g total as I haven't tested with a heavier camera. I will take some pictures when I get home to show you what I mean.

Cheers. I'm aiming purely at better quality stills for sale... in particular Real Estate shots.

GoPro just doesn't cut it - ok for web quality shots, but not decent prints. So not interested in flying quality, just get it up, snap the shot and get it down. I'm going to try a little ball head clamp mounted on the leg and just do a hand-held take off.

This was my solution - RX100 + GoPro on an H3-3D

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15626#p142160

I've taken off in the garden and it certainly flies and the photos are good, but I haven't had chance to fully test it yet due to constant strong winds and my photography teaching commitments.

I have an R&R week this coming week so I'll have time to try it properly, weather permitting (56 km/h gusts forecast today :( )

BigBadFun said:
I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix P330. Only 200g and has 30sec intervelometer. Would that be a good choice?
I own the Coolpix P330: lightweight, nice optics, but no good for aerial photography: intervalometer allows for only 1 photo every 30 seconds, and continous shooting stops after a few photos. Camera buffer is terribly slow. Don't buy it.

As suggested by Chensiyuan I picked up myself a Sony A5000 and mounted it under my PV2. For those more interested in "still" photography it certainly seems to be the way to go. Sure, no FPV but you sill seem to get reasonable results using "spray & shoot" method. Here's some comparison photos. Admittedly they weren't taken on the same day so lighting conditions may have been a little different but in all honesty I think conditions were better for the FC200.

DJI00006 by linecutter, on Flickr

FC200. I have removed the fisheye and done a little post proccessing to sharpen and improve exposure.

DSC01191-2 by linecutter, on Flickr

Sony A5000. Once again a little post proccessing giving much the same treatment as the previous photo.

Hey guys - those A5000 shots look AWESOME!

I've tracked down one for a good price. 3 q's...

What lens are you using? (Think it's the 16mm/f2.8 ?)
How does the Intervelometer 'app' work?
Can you guys post a pic of how you mounted the A5000?

UPDATE: Just purchased the a5000 + 16mm... looking forward to testing! :p

BigBadFun said:
Hey guys - those A5000 shots look AWESOME!

I've tracked down one for a good price. 3 q's...

What lens are you using? (Think it's the 16mm/f2.8 ?)
How does the Intervelometer 'app' work?
Can you guys post a pic of how you mounted the A5000?

UPDATE: Just purchased the a5000 + 16mm... looking forward to testing! :p

Yup 16mm gives much more flexibility.

The app is quite self-explanatory once you download it. Use manual exposure for better results.

My mount is a simple one, I just used a bunch of cable ties. Tilt to taste.

On my Samsung NX-1100 I have a 10mm fisheye with a micro-stepping focus motor, a 30mm prime for long shots and detail and a 20-50mm lens that came stock with the camera, that is more difficult to lift.

The Sony 16mm lens looks ok, but I'd much rather have a few to justify the extra weight of an interchangeable lens system.

Do you find that you get good results from an undampened mount?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4