P2 and Sony Nex-7

Reaction score
I wanted to see if my P2 could fly with my Sony Nex-7 with 16mm lens.
I removed gimbal and gopro and attached the camera with 2 zip ties to the legs.
Camera hung below legs so had to hand launch/land.
Very impressed by the lifting power of the Phantom but obviously the controls were more sluggish and more care had to be taken when flying.
I attached a simple intervalometer to the camera and set it to take pics every 3 secs or so.

95% of photos taken were unusable due to vibration, wind and no gimbal. :cry:
Better image stabilization would have helped.

However I am convinced the Phantom can lift a lot more than people think but sacrificing flight time.
Higher res jpg here:
http://stuartlee.zenfolio.com/p936920093/e3636b43a
The original Sony raw file can be downloaded here:
http://stuartlee.zenfolio.com/img/g1024 ... jNWBJ40Sg=

Attachments

• nex7.jpg
    nex7.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 1,867
Any pics of the rig?

Nice to know it can take off but I think when it's time to mount a Sony Nex, it'll probably be on a 550 or something bigger.

poostik said:
Any pics of the rig?

Nice to know it can take off but I think when it's time to mount a Sony Nex, it'll probably be on a 550 or something bigger.

The Nex is the only decent camera I have and I dont really want to buy a bigger machine, at least not yet!

YIKES !!

Attachments

• p2nex7.jpg
    p2nex7.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 2,302
  • weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,882

I'm also working on mounting a similar camera; the Samsung NX1100. The mount I'm creating will be on sale at Shapeways soon enough.

Some tips; to reduce vibration go into your assistant software and reduce the yaw, pitch and roll in 10% increments until the drone appears more stable visually. If your camera supports continuous shooting figure out a way to hold down the button in flight.

MonsieurAnon said:
I'm also working on mounting a similar camera; the Samsung NX1100. The mount I'm creating will be on sale at Shapeways soon enough.

Some tips; to reduce vibration go into your assistant software and reduce the yaw, pitch and roll in 10% increments until the drone appears more stable visually. If your camera supports continuous shooting figure out a way to hold down the button in flight.

I would be interested in your shapeways mount!

I'm making posts about it here; viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9796

Unfortunately, at the moment, there is too much induced vibration, so I need to make some modifications to the design & my gains settings before I feel comfortable selling it for cameras that weigh as much as the Nex-7.

MonsieurAnon said:
I'm making posts about it here; viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9796

Unfortunately, at the moment, there is too much induced vibration, so I need to make some modifications to the design & my gains settings before I feel comfortable selling it for cameras that weigh as much as the Nex-7.

Can I entice you go to ahead and release the light-duty model? I still need a good dampened mount for gopro on my P2 body.

another good candidate would be a Lumix gm-1. It weighs 200g without lens, and you could put on a 14mm f2.5lens which is about 80g. It also has a micro 4/3 sensor.

That sounds like a good option!

I just wish there was a camera without the LCD and with a bigger / easily modifiable antenna. That's part of the reason I bought the Samsung NX1100; because it's cheap enough to risk pulling apart. I plan on trying to make a tutoral on converting it to a dedicated flying camera at one point, but I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

MonsieurAnon said:
That sounds like a good option!

I just wish there was a camera without the LCD and with a bigger / easily modifiable antenna. That's part of the reason I bought the Samsung NX1100; because it's cheap enough to risk pulling apart. I plan on trying to make a tutoral on converting it to a dedicated flying camera at one point, but I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

Cool, I think I will look into the NX1100 a bit closer.

It's main advantage is price. It's about 10g heavier than the Nex-5 and doesn't have some of the sweet features, although I suspect it has longer wifi range.

The available lenses also come in at about 10g more, each, than the Sony equivalents. So if you've got money to burn, Sony is your friend. If not; Samsung.

Awesome; my test flights of my mount worked recently too! I needed 6 dampeners, stretched by the 3D printed mounting ... but I got stable footage and a steady, calm Phantom out of the deal!

A little tip; with a 20mp camera, you can fake stabilised 4k footage so long as all moving subjects are going at 1/30th the speed you wand them to move in the film.

chensiyuan said:
chensiyuan said:
Still thinking of the best way to mount an A5000 with 20mm combo -- all-in weigh of 340g -- especially since the A5000 has an internal intervalometer via the downloadable app.

Test flight with said setup... using some cable ties and shock absorbers. Works!

14011826077_25f8dc6ac7_b.jpg

3-panel shot over Toledo with said setup

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers