P1 with GoPro hero3+

Reaction score
The GoPro works fine to about 40 feet then I lose wifi signal. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to add something to extend the range.
I'm using the GoPro app on a iPhone 6s. Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I made a mistake, I have the FC40 and 5.8GHz edition. So why doesn't it work?

Is there anything that can be done to extend the range?

Here is what GoPro has to say:

"Wi-Fi Remote Range:

The Wi-Fi Remote can control cameras up to 600 feet away under optimal conditions.

GoPro App Range:

This depends on the smartphone/tablet device that is being used. Contact your device's manufacturer to find out information on Wi-Fi capability for your particular device."

I've only used the GoPro remote and app a couple of times and it was in the confines of my home.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I have contacted GoPro and was told that if I'm getting 40' that great. No other help from them.

The phone app and the GoPro Remote are two very different things.
With the remote 600 feet is a doddle,that's what it's made to do.600 feet is very accurate,I messured it with my GPS.
The wifi from any phone is not going to be as powerful as the remote but my Samsung Gallaxy S2 has done better than 40 feet,closer to 40 meters.

Even with the FC40 I still would not use this method for FPV as the lag is too great.
You should look into a propper dedicated FPV system.
There are plenty to choose from and some of the low cost systems are getting good reviews these days but beware when buying as most are 5.8Ghz so be sure your getting a 2.4Ghz system to use with the FC40.
This thread may be of help to you.
lowest prices on FPV components (links)

A tip if you're using a GoPro 3+ or later,DO NOT upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
If you do you will lose video output from USB and HERO port.

Last edited:
It's not recommended to use the wifi off your GoPro because it may interfere with your drone. Invest in a fpv kit [emoji106] I'm using a GoPro with Boscam transmitter and lilluput monitor that has a built in reciever, well beyond 200 yards for signal :)

Thank you all for the information. My phantom FC40 is running on 5.8ghz. Would I still be able to use the boscam reciever and lilluput monitor.

Is there a antenna I can add to my GoPro to boost its range? My PHANTOM IS ON 5.8ghz

There is no antenna avalable to boost the GoPro wifi signal.
As has been said before you should get an FPV system because the video lag through the GoPro wifi is not good for FPV.The scenario would go the quad crashes into an object then you see the object approaching.
A dedicated FPV ststem will not have that lag time so you can see the object and avoid it before you crash into it.

A Boscam TS321 2.4Ghz Video transmitter will work with the FC40 and they are selling for around $30us.
There are many monitors with built in receivers just be sure to get one that works on 2.4Ghz to match the transmitter.

Is there a complete FPV kit or system I can get without having to buy separate components. It would need to be 2.4ghz. I only get 15 minutes of flight time so it doesn't need to be the best system.

You have the GoPro so you can use that as the camera(*),so the least you will have to buy is two or three components.

A monitor or goggles with receiver.Most come with dipole antenna and batery suplied.

The video transmitter.Most come with a dipole antenna supplied.

A BEC/Voltage Regulator.Some video transmitters will work with 12 volts and can be connected directly to the Phantoms power supply.Some transmitters work on 5 volts and they will require a BEC/voltage regulator to convert the Phantoms 12 volts down to 5 volts.

You can buy all of the above sepperately and cheaply if you shop around.You could find all 3 for $100 to $150.
You can buy a kit with all of the above and most kits will have a small FPV camera included but they start at around $300.

(*)...As you are using a GoPro 3+ if you have updated the firmware since September 2015 to v.03.03 you will not get video output for FPV from USB or the HERO port.(There is a complicated work around) ...If your firmware is earlier it will work so don't change it.

Another question, trying to connect my FC40 to my laptop with the naza program. I'm running windows 10 and can't downgrade. Is there a way to get it to connect?

Another question, trying to connect my FC40 to my laptop with the naza program. I'm running windows 10 and can't downgrade. Is there a way to get it to connect?

Don't know windows 10 but something in it would probably need a driver update.

The reason that you have an issue with the drivers is that DJI hasn't updated their certificates for the driver program in years and they are invalid. Windows 7 and 8 would ask you if you are sure you want to install and gives you a chance to install with the expired cert, Windows 10 doesn't all at all but there is a work around. Look up on YouTube for the "Windows 10 allow expired certificates" or something like that. There is a secret menu when you go to restart. You allow the cert and restart then install the driver. You also might have to force the driver the first time from the device manager.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using PhantomPilots mobile app

616b59923966dd5c3189c9bf3cd095d2.jpg

Would this work with my GoPro? Do I need anything else?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1