P1, Tmotors, 9443 props, need to reverse motor rotation

Reaction score
Ok, so here's my thing.
I have a P1, I upgraded to T Motors (love them), and have been running the O-XOXO knockoff 9443s without the built in nuts just fine. I don't really like the way they fly anymore though, so I got my hands on some genuine 9443s with the built in nuts. They screw onto the T Motors just fine, but the problem is that the pitch is opposite of what I need. The phantom wants to drive itself into the ground with the DJI 9443s on there. So how do I go about reversing the rotation on these motors so I can use the 9443s with the integrated self locking nuts, or should I just forget about that? Does DJI make 9443s without the nuts built in? It'd probably be easier just to go that route then.

Hmmm, thinking about it now, simply reversing rotation wouldn't solve anything. All that would do is turn the motor into a self LOOSENING prop. I'd have to move each motor one position clockwise/counterclockwise on the phantom and somehow reverse the rotation. I'm assuming I can reverse rotation by simply switching a couple leads on the ESC, right?

It's weird because I followed T Motor's location recommendation perfectly. But I suppose the CCW that's printed on the motor doesn't mean that that's the way it's supposed to spin, but that the prop has to spin CCW to tighten. So I guess a CCW motor should be installed in a position on the phantom with CW rotation.

I'd have to move each motor one position clockwise/counterclockwise on the phantom

It's weird because I followed T Motor's location recommendation perfectly. But I suppose the CCW that's printed on the motor doesn't mean that that's the way it's supposed to spin, but that the prop has to spin CCW to tighten. So I guess a CCW motor should be installed in a position on the phantom with CW rotation.

Hey GP,
It sounds like you initially installed them one position over from where they should be. Like you said, move them each over one slot and it should be correct.
I don't think you will need to change the wiring to the ESC. I have no idea what would happen if you did. They may not like it at all.
Keep the top of the Phantom handy when installing the motors, to ensure correct positioning. I would put some tape on the motors, labeling where you initially installed them, so you don't do it again.

Let us know what happens.
I'm curious how well the motors perform. Kinda surprised your using knock-offs and liking them.

Well, moved all the motors over one position, keeping the wiring the same as it was on the ESC I pulled them off of aaaaaaaand..........they all spin the wrong **** direction. Guess I have to switch a couple of leads on each ESC then. Not tonight, I'm tired of pulling this stupid shell apart.

:confused::confused::confused:

Well, it was bugging me, so I switched two wires on each motor. The center one and the one closest to the motor. Now they're all spinning in the direction they need to be. Put stock 8" self tightening props on and it flies just fine. Not taking it out flying tonight though (it's dark). Flying inside though it hovers fine, and folding it down and doing a full throttle pull, everything seems fine. When looking at the phantom from the battery door side, to the right of the battery door, that prop should be a black nut one, and to the left a silver one, correct?

I read somewhere that one of the three wires on these motors was a "sensor" wire, and that it was important to have that one connected to the ESC in the right spot and you're only supposed to switch the other two. I did a lot of searching and came up with nothing. All three wires coming off the T Motors are grey and look identical. So I chanced it. Did I just get lucky by switching the correct wires 4 times?

Anyway, ordering new genuine DJI 9443 props from B&H. So I guess this topic is done. Pretty much answered all my questions myself through trial and error. Hope this helps somebody else out down the road.

Right on, sounds like we've got a winner GP.

"When looking at the phantom from the battery door side, to the right of the battery door, that prop should be a black nut one, and to the left a silver one, correct?" Yep, that's correct.

Those motors are know, respectively, as the Number 2 (black prop spinner), and Number 1 (silver prop spinner) motors.
Refer to the diagram in the Basic section of the NAZA assistant.

As far as switching the wires, sounds like you got lucky, if what you read is correct. Please share a link to what you found about switching the wires. That would be nice to have. :)

Good job.

Well, it was bugging me, so I switched two wires on each motor. The center one and the one closest to the motor. Now they're all spinning in the direction they need to be. Put stock 8" self tightening props on and it flies just fine. Not taking it out flying tonight though (it's dark). Flying inside though it hovers fine, and folding it down and doing a full throttle pull, everything seems fine. When looking at the phantom from the battery door side, to the right of the battery door, that prop should be a black nut one, and to the left a silver one, correct?

I read somewhere that one of the three wires on these motors was a "sensor" wire, and that it was important to have that one connected to the ESC in the right spot and you're only supposed to switch the other two. I did a lot of searching and came up with nothing. All three wires coming off the T Motors are grey and look identical. So I chanced it. Did I just get lucky by switching the correct wires 4 times?

Anyway, ordering new genuine DJI 9443 props from B&H. So I guess this topic is done. Pretty much answered all my questions myself through trial and error. Hope this helps somebody else out down the road.

Negotiating with a friend to buy his TMotors so I'm glad I saw this. He changed his mind after having difficulties with the install, but I'm thinking to have him read this and help him instead. Thanks for the info

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers