P1 - Black Pearl

G01

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Apologies in advanced for the noobie related bits. I've recently brought a phantom 1 (modded) which has a black pearl FPV system however I'm unable to get this working, i suspect its down to the go pro (hero4) as the gimble etc. is working fine.

I can get a black screen with some slight flickering but nothing more, I'm certain is is set up correctly (set up as NTSC on both devices etc.) I've had loads of looks about but yet to resolve. I'd rather not take the drone to pieces to investigate its innards. I'm happy to get some screenshots to aid in a resolution. My thoughts are its one of the following:
a cable issue.
The go pro version (hero4)

As you can imagine its very frustrating and whilst i can use the drone without it would be a pleasure to also use the FPV

Thanks in advanced.

Several items can create difficulties, but initially I might suggest going to the web site of your transmitter's manufacturer and download the frequency chart or manual and also get the frequency chart or manual for the Black Pearl. Make sure each device is set to the same frequency. The Black Pearl can be a little tricky, so follow the manual closely.

Perhaps one of the experts here will be able to assist you further.

hello, thank you for your response, out of boredom mostly I tried all variants of frequency and channels (i've the 7 channel version of black pearl) with no luck other than the recommended settings i've found online which works when the drone is on its just a black screen.

Hi G01
You should have no problem with a Hero 4 ( or a Hero 3 silver for that matter ) the black pearl diversity monitor needs to be set up for Channel "F" ( from memory, I'm at work so I cant look at the Black Pearl now ).
But one important thing your post is missing is the type and model of the gimbal is it a Zenmuse H4-3D ..?
Also have you checked the video output from the Gopro Hero 4 using the gopro app.
You can also find on line a mini HDMI to Standard HDMI adaptor, which you can plug straight into the Black Pearl to check your video out from the GoPro
If the Gimbal is a Zenmuse the USB cable form the Zenmuse to the Gopro is rather fragile and has a tendency to break, this is not easy to test without good equipment, but it is easy and cheap to replace.

Let me know if you need more help :)
Waylander

Hi G01
You should have no problem with a Hero 4 ( or a Hero 3 silver for that matter ) the black pearl diversity monitor needs to be set up for Channel "F" ( from memory, I'm at work so I cant look at the Black Pearl now ).
But one important thing your post is missing is the type and model of the gimbal is it a Zenmuse H4-3D ..?
Also have you checked the video output from the Gopro Hero 4 using the gopro app.
You can also find on line a mini HDMI to Standard HDMI adaptor, which you can plug straight into the Black Pearl to check your video out from the GoPro
If the Gimbal is a Zenmuse the USB cable form the Zenmuse to the Gopro is rather fragile and has a tendency to break, this is not easy to test without good equipment, but it is easy and cheap to replace.

Let me know if you need more help :)
Waylander
Hello, Thanks for the reply. I can confirm it is currently set on the F band. I've been unable to locate a name on the gimbal currently, they say a picture speaks a thousand words, so here is three thousand: Imgur link t the connection is via ribbon cables not a mini usb which i had a thought it may be but there is no connection for this currently (as i mentioned bit of a noobie!), I'll take a look for a HDMI adapter see what I can do in the mean time. Thank you for your time.

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I can confirm it is currently set on the F band. I've been unable to locate a name on the gimbal currently, they say a picture speaks a thousand words, so here is three thousand: Imgur link t the connection is via ribbon cables not a mini usb which i had a thought it may be but there is no connection for this currently (as i mentioned bit of a noobie!), I'll take a look for a HDMI adapter see what I can do in the mean time. Thank you for your time.

Hi I've looked at the picture, you only show 1 angle in the shot but it does look like a Zenmuse gimbal to me, there are two way in which a Gopro Hero 4 can connect too the Zenmuse, unfortunately the picture you show needed to be rotated 180 deg in the horizontal plane you show it for me to see the point where the connection to the camera is made.
But the two methods are :- 1). via a ribbon cable with a USB connector on it form the Zenmuse and 2). Via a multipin back Plane connector located in the mounting plate the Gopro connects to, which method do you have...?

PS The image associated with my account is of my Old P2 with a Zenmuse H4-3D and a Gopro Hero 4

Waylander

It could very well be the GoPro.
Last year GoPro released firmware for the HERO 3+ and HERO 4 cameras that stopped the vidio output from the HERO port and USB.
There is a workaround that I know works for the HERO 3+ but not sure about the HERO 4.Try it out anyway.
Before powering up the Phantom or gimbal turn on the GoPro and start recording first,then power up the Phantom and gimbal.
That workaround came from GoPro and seems to work.
All HERO 3 models and earlier are not affected.

Hi I've looked at the picture, you only show 1 angle in the shot but it does look like a Zenmuse gimbal to me, there are two way in which a Gopro Hero 4 can connect too the Zenmuse, unfortunately the picture you show needed to be rotated 180 deg in the horizontal plane you show it for me to see the point where the connection to the camera is made.
But the two methods are :- 1). via a ribbon cable with a USB connector on it form the Zenmuse and 2). Via a multipin back Plane connector located in the mounting plate the Gopro connects to, which method do you have...?

PS The image associated with my account is of my Old P2 with a Zenmuse H4-3D and a Gopro Hero 4

Waylander
Sorry about that, it connects via a connection in the back of the gopro (seen in image 2) which is the second option (from your two) here is a better image (i hope) - http://i.imgur.com/MA2xkvE.jpg let me know if you need another image, i'm aware the drones not in the best condition but it all works and I'd like to get used to e.g. a p1 before moving onto bigger fish ;)

It could very well be the GoPro.
Last year GoPro released firmware for the HERO 3+ and HERO 4 cameras that stopped the vidio output from the HERO port and USB.
There is a workaround that I know works for the HERO 3+ but not sure about the HERO 4.Try it out anyway.
Before powering up the Phantom or gimbal turn on the GoPro and start recording first,then power up the Phantom and gimbal.
That workaround came from GoPro and seems to work.
All HERO 3 models and earlier are not affected.
gave it a go, no luck I'm afraid - still a black screen with the off bit of fuzz scrolling, i also took a look around in a few other ranges but no luck. Unfortunately i downloaded the latest firmware for the gopro thinking it may help

Sorry about that, it connects via a connection in the back of the gopro (seen in image 2) which is the second option (from your two) here is a better image (i hope) - http://i.imgur.com/MA2xkvE.jpg let me know if you need another image, i'm aware the drones not in the best condition but it all works and I'd like to get used to e.g. a p1 before moving onto bigger fish ;)

Hi No worries, your Picture shows the "Back Plane Connector" method, this may be because the model of the zenmuse gimbal is quite old, but if you remove the 4 countersunk philips (Star) screws and VERY carefully and gently remove the Plate which they hold in place, it should reveal the socket into which the ribbon cable of the "Back Plane Connector" connects, take a photo of that and I should be able to tell you if the latter USB type connector can be used, this connector is cheap and easily obtainable, and it is the method that the Latter versions of the H4-3D uses.
I have used both types of connector the Back Plane type gives most trouble.
Waylander

unfortunately i've gotten the 4 screws off however the plat doesnt want to move feels like there may be a ribbon cable holding it down, i can't get any movement on the two screws holding the connection in as my tools are not the best fit for that connection. i can get you some photos' of what little i can see, but in the mean time i was hoping for any other advise or is swapping this cable the best option ?

unfortunately i've gotten the 4 screws off however the plat doesnt want to move feels like there may be a ribbon cable holding it down, i can't get any movement on the two screws holding the connection in as my tools are not the best fit for that connection. i can get you some photos' of what little i can see, but in the mean time i was hoping for any other advise or is swapping this cable the best option ?

We seem to be struggling a bit...! have you verified that you can get a video signal from the Hero4 via the Gopro app..?
Waylander

We seem to be struggling a bit...! have you verified that you can get a video signal from the Hero4 via the Gopro app..?
Waylander
Yes Go pro app works fine, its just this FPV black pearl thats being a pain, the gimbal and gopro work, just can't get the FPV working :( thanks for the help so far!

edit just to add, i've tried the gopro and black pearl with both pal and ntsc neither work, currently its on default ntsc (both) as i'm aware this is a common issue.

OK try the more fiddley way around it.
Try turning on the GoPro and start recording before plugging the gimbal into the GoPro and then turn on the Phantom and gimbal.

There could be an incompatiblity in the pin assignments of the HERO 4 rear port and the plug on the gimbal as you have an older type Zenmuse meant for HERO 3.I'm not sure if the HERO 4 rear port has the same pin assignments.If you try waylanders cable swap method it may address this difference,if there is one.

If you updated the firmware to V03.00.00 I think you will need to do this workaround even if there proves to be a problem elsewhere with broken ribon cables and you fix that or modify the connection as waylander suggests.

BTW this firmware stopping the video output only affects the cabled connections to USB and rear port,maybe HDMI,it has no affect on wifi output.

Yes Go pro app works fine, its just this FPV black pearl thats being a pain, the gimbal and gopro work, just can't get the FPV working :( thanks for the help so far!

edit just to add, i've tried the gopro and black pearl with both pal and ntsc neither work, currently its on default ntsc (both) as i'm aware this is a common issue.

OK thats good .. at least we know that the camera can transmit video, you say that the Gimbal and Gopro both work, so OK what are you using on the phantom to transmit your video signal, an Immersionrc TX or something similar...?
Lets assume that the Back Plane in the Gimbal is OK and that the Hero4 is OK, this is my understanding of the route the video signal must should take.
1). Out of Hero4 into Zenmuse gimbal via back Plane connector
2). From Gimbal to 12VDc to 5VDc inverter module via multicore ribbon cable
3). From inverter into the Phantom video in socket via multicore cable
4). From Phantom video out socket into ImmersionRc or similar 5.8Ghz video transmitter
5). From video Transmitter to Black Pearl via radio signal picked up by 5.8Ghz antenna

Is this an accurate flow path of the set-up you have, any one link in that chain could be the problem....

It may be a software issue as PTCX suggests, but I have used a Hero3 silver edition and a Hero4 black edition connected to a Zenmuse H4-3D, both through the USB connector and through a Back Plane connector like you have, and both work OK.

OK try the more fiddley way around it.
Try turning on the GoPro and start recording before plugging the gimbal into the GoPro and then turn on the Phantom and gimbal.

There could be an incompatiblity in the pin assignments of the HERO 4 rear port and the plug on the gimbal as you have an older type Zenmuse meant for HERO 3.I'm not sure if the HERO 4 rear port has the same pin assignments.If you try waylanders cable swap method it may address this difference,if there is one.

If you updated the firmware to V03.00.00 I think you will need to do this workaround even if there proves to be a problem elsewhere with broken ribon cables and you fix that or modify the connection as waylander suggests.

BTW this firmware stopping the video output only affects the cabled connections to USB and rear port,maybe HDMI,it has no affect on wifi output.
hello,

thanks: I tried this method with no luck, so best luck with Waylanders replacements to plug into the side of the gopro? essentially i just want the FPB to work to aid in boosing the signal and letting me use it as a cam to aid...

OK thats good .. at least we know that the camera can transmit video, you say that the Gimbal and Gopro both work, so OK what are you using on the phantom to transmit your video signal, an Immersionrc TX or something similar...?
Lets assume that the Back Plane in the Gimbal is OK and that the Hero4 is OK, this is my understanding of the route the video signal must should take.
1). Out of Hero4 into Zenmuse gimbal via back Plane connector
2). From Gimbal to 12VDc to 5VDc inverter module via multicore ribbon cable
3). From inverter into the Phantom video in socket via multicore cable
4). From Phantom video out socket into ImmersionRc or similar 5.8Ghz video transmitter
5). From video Transmitter to Black Pearl via radio signal picked up by 5.8Ghz antenna

Is this an accurate flow path of the set-up you have, any one link in that chain could be the problem....

It may be a software issue as PTCX suggests, but I have used a Hero3 silver edition and a Hero4 black edition connected to a Zenmuse H4-3D, both through the USB connector and through a Back Plane connector like you have, and both work OK.
Hello, best i can do is some photos that may help (here - Imgur: )... ill try to ask a friend of mine if he can help any further...

Hi G01

I have been thinking about your problem, you say that all you get on the Black Pearl monitor is a black screen, well if there was no signal present what so ever you would not get a black screen.. every channel would show "White Noise" on the screen, so if with everything on the Phantom switched on and ready to go, you flick up through all the channels and you get to a screen where it changes from "White Noise" to a black screen, this means that the Black Pearl is receiving what is termed as a 5.8 Ghz carrier signal, sorry I don't know how technical you are, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know.

But here goes, In a 5.8 Ghz video transmission the signal consists of two components - the Carrier Wave, and the modulation of the carrier caused by superimposition of the video signal, ( technical boffin's might be more specific), but something like that.

So from your pictures I can see that installed in the Phantom is an ImmersionRc transmitter, ( the TX for short ), it is this component of the system that generates the Carrier Wave (signal), so if you were to power up the TX on its own with no video input, the Tx will still generate the Carrier signal, the Diversity receiver in your Black Pearl would still "Lock" onto this 5.8 Ghz transmission, but there would be no video content superimposed on the carrier so the screen would no longer just show "White Noise", but would show a black screen.

From what you describe ("I can get a black screen with some slight flickering") I think that the ImmersionRc Tx is probably OK, to test this you could get a USB lead and plug it straight from the Gopro into the TX and you should see a picture, here is a link to a USB cable.

www.HobbyFlip.com - GoPro Hero 4 to FPV Transmitter Lead - 200mm TX

Good luck with your problem :)
Waylander

Hi G01

I have been thinking about your problem, you say that all you get on the Black Pearl monitor is a black screen, well if there was no signal present what so ever you would not get a black screen.. every channel would show "White Noise" on the screen, so if with everything on the Phantom switched on and ready to go, you flick up through all the channels and you get to a screen where it changes from "White Noise" to a black screen, this means that the Black Pearl is receiving what is termed as a 5.8 Ghz carrier signal, sorry I don't know how technical you are, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know.

But here goes, In a 5.8 Ghz video transmission the signal consists of two components - the Carrier Wave, and the modulation of the carrier caused by superimposition of the video signal, ( technical boffin's might be more specific), but something like that.

So from your pictures I can see that installed in the Phantom is an ImmersionRc transmitter, ( the TX for short ), it is this component of the system that generates the Carrier Wave (signal), so if you were to power up the TX on its own with no video input, the Tx will still generate the Carrier signal, the Diversity receiver in your Black Pearl would still "Lock" onto this 5.8 Ghz transmission, but there would be no video content superimposed on the carrier so the screen would no longer just show "White Noise", but would show a black screen.

From what you describe ("I can get a black screen with some slight flickering") I think that the ImmersionRc Tx is probably OK, to test this you could get a USB lead and plug it straight from the Gopro into the TX and you should see a picture, here is a link to a USB cable.

www.HobbyFlip.com - GoPro Hero 4 to FPV Transmitter Lead - 200mm TX

Good luck with your problem :)
Waylander
Hello,

Yes the other channels are static as is the channel i am on until the system (p1) boots up, at this point it goes black. So by plugging in the cable it somewhat by passes the gimble and thus should work, looks like i'll have to take the body off to plug it in which i was hoping to avoid but ill order that part and see if it helps. assume the gopro should cope with this

Thanks for the help so far.

I got the jist of what you're saying however i'm not the most technical :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.