P/Atti automatic switching

Reaction score
Hi Experts,
I just did my first flight with my P3S and.... it's still a whole so I'm happy.

For a moment it scared me though, since I thought I switched flying mode via S1, but in reality I hadn't enabled yet the multi - mode flight so he started with Atti due to the few GPS satellites and all of a sudden switched to P-gps.
That moment it started to move forward at max speed, ending up in a soft heap of trash bags.

Q1: what happened? Do I need to be scared of GPS?
Q2: if I upload some log would it help?
Q3: I switched to mode 2 but it doesn't seem right, since with the left I can now move forward and rotate, while I thought it was forward and lateral moves on the left and rotate and thrust on the right...

Thanks,
Antonio

Sent from my MI 5 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Experts,

For a moment it scared me though, since I thought I switched flying mode via S1, but in reality I hadn't enabled yet the multi - mode flight so he started with Atti due to the few GPS satellites and all of a sudden switched to P-gps.
That moment it started to move forward at max speed, ending up in a soft heap of trash bags.

Q3: I switched to mode 2 but it doesn't seem right, since with the left I can now move forward and rotate, while I thought it was forward and lateral moves on the left and rotate and thrust on the right...

Thanks,
Antonio

"That moment it started to move forward at max speed," Were you hovering or what?
I am kind of lost of what actually happened.
Scared of GPS, no, what to do when you loose GPS, yes.

New pilot flying a Phantom with no GPS, scary.

Have you done the compass calibration?

I think you need to get in an open area, and don't take off until you get the message that you home point has been saved. Make sure your RTH is high enough to clear any obstacles.

Logs are best!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Rod

BTW what does this mean.
" so he started with Atti"
Who is "he"?

Last edited:
Reactions: LK8472
I thought you might like this one, he has to go up 100' before he gets a GPS lock. In a thought if it is windy he wouldn't want to go above the tree line before a GPS lock. If its windy and he gets above the tree line, he wouldn't have a chance to get home point saved, and the wind could take away from him, then if he lost remote signal because of the tall trees, where is it going to go on a RTH.

Opps or Don't be in a hurry to take off....

Rod

Hi Experts,

Thanks,
Antonio

As "RodPad" stated, don't take off till you have GPS (P-gps) mode and the home point marked. That was you number one mistake!!
Did you calibrate the compass before your first flight? If not, mistake number two!!
Did you read the manual (every page) before your first flight, if not, mistake number three!!
If you answered no to all three of the above questions, you were indeed lucky today.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes I did imu and compass calibration before flying.

I just thought I could decide the flight mode with S1, while in reality the Dji app decided on its own based on the number of satellites.

I did a first hovering while in atti with no problem at all.
Then brought it down gently and later realised it moved to GPS mode. Then started to hover again but immediately rushed forward.

Il give it a go with the log viewer, just to understand chat happened.

Thanks,
Antonio

Just remember that these birds are really meant to be in GPS mode for normal flight, you should only need or use ATTI for some special reasons. Like the drone is far out and starts going nuts because of a compass or GPS error and you're trying to save it from flying away. Or you trying to practice flying it in ATTI mode so that one day when the above happens you'll know how it feels and handles. But that should only be after your flying it in P-mode for awhile and have some experience.

There are definitely some discrepancy or lack of info between what you are saying happened vs what you did at that moment.

Mode 2 (stock setting and most common RC setting worldwide) is as follows in layman's terms:
Left stick: push forward = gain elevation. Push backward = Lose elevation. Push Left = Spin CCW. Push Right = Spin CW.
Right stick: push forward = move forward in horizontal plane. Push backward = move backward in horizontal plane. Push left = move left in horizontal plane. Push right = move right in horizontal plane.

What you actually describe ("I switched to mode 2 but it doesn't seem right, since with the left I can now move forward and rotate...") is Mode 1: the left stick moving you forward and backward in the horizontal plane and also controlling Spin.
What you say you thought it should be ("...while I thought it was forward and lateral moves on the left and rotate and thrust on the right.") is Mode 3: which is basically mode 2 but with the sticks reversed i.e. you're description of the envisioned behavior of the the left stick is in fact what the right stick does in mode 2.
Basically you need to slow down and use the flight simulator to practice flying so that you can at least get basic control down pat. This is sounding more and more like 100% pilot error.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes I did imu and compass calibration before flying.

I just thought I could decide the flight mode with S1, while in reality the Dji app decided on its own based on the number of satellites.

I did a first hovering while in atti with no problem at all.
Then brought it down gently and later realised it moved to GPS mode. Then started to hover again but immediately rushed forward.

Il give it a go with the log viewer, just to understand chat happened.

Thanks,
Antonio

Yeah, I would like the see the log,
"realised it moved to GPS mode. Then started to hover again but immediately rushed forward."
This is whats really weird to me.

Sorry if It appears that everybody is coming down on you, but more experience you get, the more you get concerned on somebody new to this, I bet I learn something here everyday, and hope to help somebody everyday.

Rod

;)

Hi all,
I realised what went wrong!

You know I switched to mode 1, so now the left stick is for forward /rotate.

After the CSC, the left stick was stuck in low position without me realising that. When I gave in some thrust the bird went straight back because of the stick.

Is it possible to move that "low-position" lock to the right stick?

Thanks,
Antonio

You would have to take the remote apart and swap the position of the sticks. I've seen people do it to cheap RC remotes but I think you'd have to specifically buy it that way for hobby-grade RC like the phantom.

Also just to clarify now you are saying that you armed the motors but did not take off. When you did take off the craft immediately went backwards and crashed because you had the left stick stuck in the down position?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi all,
I realised what went wrong!

You know I switched to mode 1, so now the left stick is for forward /rotate.

After the CSC, the left stick was stuck in low position without me realising that. When I gave in some thrust the bird went straight back because of the stick.

Is it possible to move that "low-position" lock to the right stick?

Thanks,
Antonio

If you haven't been here yet, you might add this to your book marks.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Here is a couple of removal links.
V3 TX sticklock Mod
HOW TO: Remove throttle lock from Phantom 3 Standard remote controller | Phantom Help

Don't be tell us scary stories no-more.
:D

Rod

Reactions: Antonio P3S
There are definitely some discrepancy or lack of info between what you are saying happened vs what you did at that moment.

Mode 2 (stock setting and most common RC setting worldwide) is as follows in layman's terms:
Left stick: push forward = gain elevation. Push backward = Lose elevation. Push Left = Spin CCW. Push Right = Spin CW.
Right stick: push forward = move forward in horizontal plane. Push backward = move backward in horizontal plane. Push left = move left in horizontal plane. Push right = move right in horizontal plane.

What you actually describe ("I switched to mode 2 but it doesn't seem right, since with the left I can now move forward and rotate...") is Mode 1: the left stick moving you forward and backward in the horizontal plane and also controlling Spin.
What you say you thought it should be ("...while I thought it was forward and lateral moves on the left and rotate and thrust on the right.") is Mode 3: which is basically mode 2 but with the sticks reversed i.e. you're description of the envisioned behavior of the the left stick is in fact what the right stick does in mode 2.
Basically you need to slow down and use the flight simulator to practice flying so that you can at least get basic control down pat. This is sounding more and more like 100% pilot error.
I was so confused with his post, I missed the mode 1, mode 2 thing, I thought he was talking about S1 and S2 and what position they were in.
:rolleyes:

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj