Overlay Video?

Reaction score
I've got a screen recorder running and made a movie of what I'm seeing on my phone.

I've got the video from the drone.

I'd like to put my phone video in the bottom right corner of the drone video and output the two video streams into one finished movie.

I've seen this in some other video but have no idea how to do it. Any ideas?

It's done in the software you're using. You set it so each source uses it's own track to have best control over everything.

This is what I use: https://store.videostudiopro.com/1184/p ... Launchw1_M

Edit: I have a email where you can get 25% off until the 25th. I searched everywhere and this offer only shows using the link in the email. The above link shows regular price.

How are you recording the screen recording at the same time you are receiving the P2V+ video? I'm using an iPhone 5s with the basic DJI Vision app. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have a lot to learn!

That being said, Adobe's Premiere Elements 13 will do the PIP quite nicely, but it does coat about $100. FWIW

Just get hold of a screen recording app and install it on your smartphone. Start the recording app and then the vision app. Everything you then see on your app screen is recorded and stored on the smartphone. Easy to do and it can come in very useful. I often embed mine in the corner of the video from the phantom, particularly when I've had a near miss or some other incident. I use videostudio pro on my PC to merge the two and to add text inserts or whatever. I use mobizen for my galaxy s5, there's bound to be a few around for apple products.
There are a few examples on youtube showing what the effects are

Dave, I should have been more specific with my question. I am using the iPhone 5s, but I have not been able to find a screeb capture app for it. Do you or anyone one of an app that will work with the iPhone/iPad?

TIA

If you use a mac or a pc for editing, you can buy an app for it called reflector. It mimics the screen of your phone on the pc and therefore allows you to record it. I use it all the time primarily for insurance purposes, just in case. If anything happens, I will have a permanent record of what the phone was seeing as it's impossible to look at both all the time.

The app costs about $12 and works well for me on an iphone and a mac.

Screen recorder software for apple is a little more difficult since apple will not allow any screen recording of the devices THROUGH ITUNES. However you can google a little app called "Shou" which is installed through use of "Emu4ios". I haven't used it yet but it all appears to work well in testing.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm missing something here. To begin with I use Reflector all of the time to capture what is going on my iPad/iPhone on my PC. I use it to record video tutorials. When I'm flying, I am out in the field not next to my PC, and I don't have a laptop with me. Is there some feature I'm not using in Reflector?

I have not heard of Shou, but I will look into it.

Obviously, I need the exact steps you take to record a permanent record of your flights.

As always, thanks for the prompt replies and helpful info.

don26812 said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm missing something here. To begin with I use Reflector all of the time to capture what is going on my iPad/iPhone on my PC. I use it to record video tutorials. When I'm flying, I am out in the field not next to my PC, and I don't have a laptop with me. Is there some feature I'm not using in Reflector?

If you decide to use Reflector to record your Phantom flights, you need to take your laptop with you. You will connect the computer with the Phantom WiFi signal and then use Reflector to record via AirPlay (as you have apparently done on your video tutorials).

That's what I figured, but I want to make sure I was not missing something. I might very well try that. Thanks for clearing that up about Reflector.

Well things did not work for me. I tested this at home. Using my Win 8 laptop with my iPhone 5s, Reflector works fine, as long as I am on my home network. As soon as I change to the Phantom on my Wi-Fi, the screen on my laptop freezes and AirPlay on my iPhone goes back to displaying my iPhone and not my laptop.

I did not even get to the point to see if I can record the laptop screen being fed from my Phantom. I was planning to use Snagit or Camtasia as my laptop screen recorder.

I am assuming someone here is using the exact same setup as I am, or is that true?

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again in advance.

Here's how it works for me.

Start up everything on the Phantom. WiFi repeater, controller, Phantom.
Connect phone to Phantom WiFi per usual.
Connect computer to Phantom WiFi.
Start Reflector.
Connect phone to computer via AirPlay. Be sure to enable mirroring.
You will probably have to select "Force Landscape" in Reflector.
Start recording in Reflector.
Start recording in Phantom Vision App.
Start Phantom as usual.

Alright!
I did a bench test today, and it worked just as you described. As you figured, the step I had wrong was the one you put in bold lettering. My problem now is I need to find a clear flying site. The places where I have been flying tend to be a few hundred yards from where I can park for the most part. Lugging my laptop and the case with my Phantom gear is not going to be easy. But now I know what to do.

Thanks so much.

Since you guys were so helpful, I have another newbie question. I have been flying in the Phantom mode for a few months using GPS. I would like to give NAZA-M using the Home Lock mode. To begin with, it is my understanding that in this mode, with S1 in the top position for GPS and S2 in the down position for Home Lock, flying will be like it is now. By letting go of the a controls, the Phantom will hover. But the right stick will always be going away from the home point, right will always be right etc, regardless of which way the Phantom itself is pointed.

Assuming the above is true, here is my question, I went into the Phantom 2 Assistant program on my PC and successfully switched over to NAZA-M. But when I look at the info, even with the Phantom powered up, the IOC still shows that it is Off. I can't see where to turn it on. Will it turn On once I have satellite lock? I did not see anywhere to turn the IOC on. However, with my Phantom on, I do see movement in the U, X1, and X2 sliders as I toggle S1.

I guess my bottom line question is am I ready to fly in the NAZA-M mode?

Thanks again for the previous help and I hope you can help me again.

happydays said:
If you use a mac or a pc for editing, you can buy an app for it called reflector. It mimics the screen of your phone on the pc and therefore allows you to record it. I use it all the time primarily for insurance purposes, just in case. If anything happens, I will have a permanent record of what the phone was seeing as it's impossible to look at both all the time.

The app costs about $12 and works well for me on an iphone and a mac.

Good info.

But if I'm reading correctly, then it seems some of the solutions being offered here involve carrying the laptop with you.

Seems cumbersome, but if that is what is being described here, and if the goal is to mimic and record the screen of an iPhone or an iPad onto a Mac, then it can be done using Quicktime if the Mac is running Yosemite. No need to buy Reflector if you are running a Mac with Yosimite. I know there has been mention of using a PC, but for those using a Mac wanting to do the same thing, Quicktime will work.

Connect the iPhone or iPad to the Mac using the USB lightning cable and launch Quicktime.

In Quicktime, go to File>New Movie Recording>

You'll get a box with a red dot inside of it to hit for recording.

To the right of that red dot will be a drop down arrow. Hit it and you will see "camera" and your iPad or iPhone, whichever you have hooked up.

Select the appropriate device which shows up in that drop down menu. Wait a few seconds, (you may have to hit the home button on your iOS device) and whatever is showing on your iOS device will show up on your computer screen ready to record if you wish to record.

Hit the red button to record it.

when you're done recording it, hit "file" give it a name and save it.

This video below explains it in a bit more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxjKWfDLbK4

Interesting. I didn't know that. The only thing is that you will be limited to one spot or have to carry the laptop in a backpack or something as it has to remain connected to the phone / ipad. I tent to wander around when flying and reflector works well. It's not expensive. But good to know all the same. Thanks.

CBS

Note that REFLECTOR also works over any Android device, instead of carrying your Laptop just use an Android Tablet o Phone with Reflector plugin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers