Overlay of app data onto video

Reaction score
I found this YouTube video I thought was really cool. I would love to do this with some of my videos. I would assume he used a screen grabber/video app them layered the gauges over the HD video. I would just love to know which screen grabber app and which video editing software he had used...

http://youtu.be/5YrHfTuaHe0

That's a recording of the app.
He'd probably used a HDMI video out cable from his tablet\phone to a recorder.

iPod's, iPhone's, iPad's, & iPad mini's all have the capability of recording the screen, however Apple forbids apps that implement that function. A few of these got past their clearinghouse and made it into the store. Some users were fortunate enough to purchase the apps before they were removed from the store. Alternatively you can jailbreak your iDevice and install it from one of the online repositories.

iDrone

Apparently Kitkat (the latest Android flavour) can do this. At the moment it is a bit of a handful to get it to work but iI have just read an article which says there will no doubt shortly be user friendly apps that do it for you. Quite exciting IMHO. I wonder why apple felt the need to remove the apps that used to do it on the iPhone.....

Yes, it can be done

"Screen recording

Now it's easy to create high-quality video of your app, directly from your Android device. Android 4.4 adds support for screen recording and provides a screen recording utility that lets you start and stop recording on a device that's connected to your Android SDK environment over USB. It's a great new way to create walkthroughs and tutorials for your app, testing materials, marketing videos, and more.

With the screen recording utility, you can capture video of your device screen contents and store the video as an MP4 file on the device. You can record at any device-supported resolution and bitrate you want, and the output retains the aspect ratio of the display. By default, the utility selects a resolution equal or close to the device's display resolution in the current orientation. When you are done recording, you can share the video directly from your device or pull the MP4 file to your host computer for post-production."

Any Android experts that know how to do it ?

pault said:
Apparently Kitkat (the latest Android flavour) can do this. At the moment it is a bit of a handful to get it to work but iI have just read an article which says there will no doubt shortly be user friendly apps that do it for you. Quite exciting IMHO. I wonder why apple felt the need to remove the apps that used to do it on the iPhone.....

Yes I looked into the KitKat option and discoverd its rooted and also won't record for the duration we would need, no go for me :(

LeoS said:

Yeah he clearly recorded the phone screen while flying BUT the video in the background is high def so he overlayed the gauges over the HD version of the video he pulled off the SD card. So yeah like I said I would be really interested to know what app and what video editing software he used as well as HOW he did it. Definitely something I would like to do in the future.

Ya know it's frustrating because I would think this is probably a feature that DJI could fairly easily incorporate into the camera. Hopefully they do in the future...I'm not going to hold my breath though...

Scottrod said:
LeoS said:

Yeah he clearly recorded the phone screen while flying BUT the video in the background is high def so he overlayed the gauges over the HD version of the video he pulled off the SD card. So yeah like I said I would be really interested to know what app and what video editing software he used as well as HOW he did it. Definitely something I would like to do in the future.

Ohhh I didn't catch that!

Now I see that he recorded the phone screen (app) and overlaid it on the HD recording of the flight.
He'd probably used After Effects or Final Cut?
The recording process is easier and more efficient this way though.. he just need SD quality video to record the telemetry.

I have been testing Android screen grabbers (screen shoot not video) as On/button + Volume down is too cumbersome. So far they have been crude and flaky, however one at least adds a floating button which sits on top of the Vision App making it a single click affair. Sadly it requires root and only seems to work intermittently. It's called Screenshot Forever. Anyone found a working one yet?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm not seeing any way short of jail breaking my iPhone to record the screen. Is there an app? Also, does the android OS allow recording the screen with an app without having to root it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik