Overheating concerns

What were the ambient temp at that time? Any extra payload on P4? Tell us more about the actual scenario.

Causes for overheating could be:
1. High ambient
2. Ineffective cooling: vents blocked, fans failures..., low speed- heavy loads
3. Additional continuous load

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
What were the ambient temp at that time? Any extra payload on P4? Tell us more about the actual scenario.

Causes for overheating could be:
1. High ambient
2. Ineffective cooling: vents blocked, fans failures..., low speed- heavy loads
3. Additional continuous load

To clarify, I didn't have an overheating signal pop up on my phone. I was just wondering if the p4 would have a signal warning the operator that the motor temps are high. If it did occur, would the p4 land on its own or would the operator still have control over it? I've flown the p4 in Dubai where the temp was a roughly 105 degF. Humid of course. No extra payloads. I flew for approx 20 mins, didn't switch to sport mode. No warnings. When I landed the p4, motors were to hot too touch. Had to cool it down for a few mins before packing.

There are no temp sensors on/in the motors.

The battery is known to have such for safety.

To clarify, I didn't have an overheating signal pop up on my phone. I was just wondering if the p4 would have a signal warning the operator that the motor temps are high. If it did occur, would the p4 land on its own or would the operator still have control over it? I've flown the p4 in Dubai where the temp was a roughly 105 degF. Humid of course. No extra payloads. I flew for approx 20 mins, didn't switch to sport mode. No warnings. When I landed the p4, motors were to hot too touch. Had to cool it down for a few mins before packing.
I've never seen a motor heat warning, and I've never read about anyone else seeing it either. I've only seen a MAX RPM warning. I presume a heat warning on motors do not exist because there are no heat sensors in the motors. FYI, you are on the ragged edge of safe flying at 105F. The DJI spec states the upper end of the operating temp being 104F. If you plan to continue operating in that environment, I suggest you buy a laser heat sensor gun and keep track of this, taking the temp of each motor upon landing. Any significant temperature differential between motors may give a clue of possible problems, before they happen. I think those temp guns cost $30-$40, depending on the store.

Please keep us informed how the craft holds up in those temps.

Also check the battery surface. Hope it is not swollen. If it is, then you got to discard it.

It's worth examining the logs for the battery temperatures. Please do it and let us know.

Reactions: AIRSPACE

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik