Overheated battery - still ok to use?

Reaction score
So while on vacation (Moab, Utah, in case you were curious) I accidentally left my P3A turned on when I put it in it's case, closed it up and drove off to our next destination.. 3 or 4 hours later while unpacking I heard what I thought was the fan in the case.. Pulled the bird out and it was so hot I'm surprised it wasn't melting.. The gimbal was so hot I could not touch it and the battery way also extremely hot.
After everything cooled down everything is working fine but I'm wondering if that battery is still safe to use, or if it's life expectancy has been shortened?
Other than buldging is there anything else I should watch out for?

Not much to say without seeing it in person other than check the stats on the 4 individual battery cells. Then just make a mental note from now on to always pull the battery out and it won't happen again :) If everything looks good then hover for a few minutes and check everything including the camera and video functions.

I pulled a battery out of it's holder tonight and it felt warm on its own and wasn't even in the bird.... That one has me puzzled, it's been sitting in the case for a few days at a 45° angle, inside where its cool, so it's surely the battery itself, so I'll be checking it out tomorrow before flight.

Auto discharge will create some warming of the intelligent flight batteries.

RedHotPoker

If the battery is damaged it'll swell and look puffy. Any sign of anything like that?

When the battery gets cooled down, charge it fully, plug it into P3 and check its capacity and cell to cell voltage deviations. That will guide you to the health of the battery. As nothing melted in your case, all appears to be safe. That happened as there is no cooling to electronics.

Dang. I bet you won't make that mistake again!!!

Nothing like a ticking time bomb with chance in the backseat ;)

Should be okay. Fly low and slow then check the battery health. I'd let it over low over a tall grassy area in case the bird just drops because battery took an internal shat all over itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik