Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Overcoming limitations and uses of new waypoint feature

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by VoicOfReason, Sep 7, 2015.

1. VoicOfReason

So, from the video I just watched, the waypoints have to be set IN THE AIR, not on the ground. This is kind of a bummer. However, here's some workarounds for those who want to fly potentially out of RC range.

1) Drive to where you want to start and then follow in the car as you fly routes back to home or where you normally fly. Then you can fly that route later. Or, if possible, fly up briefly and then back down again, setting a waypoint, then just carry your Phantom while driving, to the next location, etc.

2) Put a ladder against your roof and go up high, or even get on your roof, to set your initial waypoints. Then, you can fly the route later from ground level and not worry about obstructions.

Uses (please contribute ideas) for waypoints:

1) A set route for take off so you don't forget to get way over the head of complaining neighbors
    2) Checking crops and flying back home to review video
    3) If you fly the same route a lot, waypoints let you focus more on other issues (nearby planes, weather, wind speed, any problems that may arise)

Others?

2. 4wd

4wd

A limitation on the Vision Plus was that the camera was locked straight ahead, you could not yaw or set it to the side which could be used as a tracking shot.
    According to the notes you an now yaw as well as tilt the camera during a mission.
    In some situations this could be very useful.

3. JohnK

I want set up a few scenic routes and then fly them at various points in the year to show the seasons. Could be a fun project.

4. John MacNeill

I'm going to try that and see if it will work. Sounds like it should....

5. rrmccabe

I dont think you can tilt camera via the mission software. Litchi will do it but I don't think DJI Go will.

6. John MacNeill

I went out to try your suggestions but it was too windy with gusts I'll have to try it later. I would really like to set waypoints to do golf course flyovers. This would be great if I could take a golf cart set the tee as my starting point, go to middle of the fairway or dog leg creat waypoint 2, goto the green for waypoint 3 and land at waypoint 3. If this works it would be awesome.