over two miles out to find some whales

That is awesome!!

Reactions: jordkl
awesome videos and footages ....would love to film whales one day with my p3p....one day..a.rghhhhh

Reactions: jordkl
Amazing seemed like it took forever to get out there , you must've been neverous and torn between getting enough video of the whales and making it back with enough battery , job well done...

Reactions: NormanNormal
Amazing seemed like it took forever to get out there , you must've been neverous and torn between getting enough video of the whales and making it back with enough battery , job well done...
felt like forever, especially because as soon as the splashing stop its next to impossible to locate them. The first time I flew out to film them I was nervous. I think now I've accepted that losing the phantom might happen. Its always difficult to gauge when to return too. Its so hard to fly home when the whales are still playing. luckily during this shot the whales dove down and didn't come back up for a while. made the decision to fly home a lot easier.

felt like forever, especially because as soon as the splashing stop its next to impossible to locate them. The first time I flew out to film them I was nervous. I think now I've accepted that losing the phantom might happen. Its always difficult to gauge when to return too. Its so hard to fly home when the whales are still playing. luckily during this shot the whales dove down and didn't come back up for a while. made the decision to fly home a lot easier.

Personally now that I'm comfortable with it , I think I prefer flying over water versus land . If something is going to happen , it's going to happen over land or water . sure , over land -u have a better chance of recovery , versus being over water . But nothing beats over water footage and being way out there with no interference is also lovely . Everytime I take mines out over water , I just add another notch on my belt, and get more comfortable yet still respecting the phantom, the conditions , and the surrounding environment . Already on my second p3p due to the first crashing over land. . Never had a crash or problem over water Yet . Knocks on wood

How did u know where they were at ? Spotted them on previous flights ? And came back to around the same spot ? What the secret in finding and filming whales some 2-3 miles out ?

why did you fly out in ATTI and not GPS?

You should submit to that contest on dji sky pixel

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Loved the video. After flying 2 miles how did you know where the whales were????

This was one of the last shots of the season. This video is a compilation of everything I shot the past few months.

honestly it still is the hardest thing to find them. I can see the splashing from two miles away and if the drone is looking the wrong way its easy to get disoriented. It was easy to spot the mother and calf because there was so much splashing. some of the other stuff from this season was just pure luck.

Love it! That's my goal after lots of air time. The whales come pretty close to the shore where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

nice! yeah you're lucky if they are near shore. beats flying out 2 miles to film for a few minutes. what kind of whales?

Personally now that I'm comfortable with it , I think I prefer flying over water versus land . If something is going to happen , it's going to happen over land or water . sure , over land -u have a better chance of recovery , versus being over water . But nothing beats over water footage and being way out there with no interference is also lovely . Everytime I take mines out over water , I just add another notch on my belt, and get more comfortable yet still respecting the phantom, the conditions , and the surrounding environment . Already on my second p3p due to the first crashing over land. . Never had a crash or problem over water Yet . Knocks on wood

How did u know where they were at ? Spotted them on previous flights ? And came back to around the same spot ? What the secret in finding and filming whales some 2-3 miles out ?

it looks like you got the hang of flying over water. I agree with you though. gotta respect nature and the equipment. I always go through my logs and clean/inspect the phantom after flying out over the water. Filming the ocean/water is definitely exciting since there is always motion.

So on this flight I actually was filming a pod of dolphins a few hundred yards off shore when I heard the mom breach. they are surprisingly loud and the splashing is visible from shore. Finding them is something I'm still learning. Its helpful when there is a calf since the mom will usually splash/make a lot of noise. other times I just head in the general direction and hope when I get close I can see them take a breath or slap a fin or something.

Reactions: LamboH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav