Over tightened prop HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
Hi all

NEWBIE HERE

Have vision 2, great and happy with it. Today however thought I would take the props off to get it In a new case.

So used the prop spanner that came with the box to loosen the silver topped prop. All good. Then tried the first black topped one, and stupidly, yes you guessed it, tightened it, rather than loosened it up.

So now I have a problem

One black-top prop, will not undo. The black dome stays put when the spanner is used to hold the motor and the prop is turned. Therefore the white plastic prop has loosened from the black nut. I can see that the black nut stays put when I turn the prop ( although still tight) and I am afraid that I cannot see wray to get the prop off without using too much force.

I am limited in tools

I need an idea of what to do, not being too hobbiest, and some assistance please. I have a replacement prop so it can be trashed if needs be, but need help as to not damage the phantom motor in any way. Suggestions on a card.....

Your assistance appreicated

Matt

Heat will expand it and can loosen it. Nothing too fierce though. Take a piece of cardboard or even a sheet of paper and make a small hole in it so the nut peeps through but the rest of the prop and Phantom is protected from the heat. Use a hair dryer and heat the nut for let's say 30 seconds. Perhaps you can wear a rubber glove to increase your grip on the nut. With a bit of luck it will come off.

Thanks Ben

Tried that thanks to no avail as when trying to turn the prop to unwind, it simply turns around the back nut and I have nothing to purchase any grip on the smooth nut top to hold it , if you get my meaning...

Matt :|

I haven't got any other suggestion to add except using pliers or grips to hold the nut? if you have a hacksaw you could cut a couple of straight edge in the plastic on opposite sides and see if that enables you to grip it?

Going forward, though, unless you've crashed and the prop has spun on a bit you shouldn't need to use the spanner to get props off or on. I just spin mine down with a finger until they stop - nothing further required as they are self-tightening. When taking them off just hold the motor with one hand and spin the prop the appropriate way to loosen, it won't be more than finger tight and doesn't need to be. Once you've got this bad boy off, put that motor spanner away deep inside your flight case and don't use it again unless you have a prop-digging-in crash. :)

Pull_Up said:
I haven't got any other suggestion to add except using pliers or grips to hold the nut? if you have a hacksaw you could cut a couple of straight edge in the plastic on opposite sides and see if that enables you to grip it?

Going forward, though, unless you've crashed and the prop has spun on a bit you shouldn't need to use the spanner to get props off or on. I just spin mine down with a finger until they stop - nothing further required as they are self-tightening. When taking them off just hold the motor with one hand and spin the prop the appropriate way to loosen, it won't be more than finger tight and doesn't need to be. Once you've got this bad boy off, put that motor spanner away deep inside your flight case and don't use it again unless you have a prop-digging-in crash. :)

Thats funny!

I did have a prop - grass crash, and that a why i wanted to take it off! LESSON to ALL - don't forget the black and silver tops turn opposing ways!

Watch this space, ill try that with a hacksaw and report in....

Mattsdji said:
Thats funny!

I did have a prop - grass crash, and that a why i wanted to take it off! LESSON to ALL - don't forget the black and silver tops turn opposing ways!

Watch this space, ill try that with a hacksaw and report in....

It still confuses me after months - I just blindly follow the little arrows and padlocks on the props that DJI kindly stamped on there as my brain refuses to accept clockwise = release (those who are parents to small children with Aquadraw sets will appreciate the same difficulty as the pens in those things undo the "wrong way" as well!).

Good luck.

Update!

Thanks to Ben, found my junior hacksaw, and VERY carefully placed it either side of the Black round nut, and gingerly started a groove down one side. TIP, as its metal nut, place some cardboard under the prop to stop any shrapnel from the unit going into the motor holes. Once a groove has been made, rotate the hacksaw 90' and cut a small groove to match the vertical one, and it comes away, creating a flat side. Repeat on the other side of the nut head until you have two flat sides, looks messy, but its worth it

picture attached shows aftermath https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tmbvutd5l6v6duo/NoIR3Ezv0h

Once done, place phantom on your knee for support and gently grip the messy nut with pliers, use the SPANNER (for the very last time) to counter twist the nut, and after two seconds of worry, the nut started to release its vice like grip.

Neatly undone, tip the phantom upside down, and blow out the motor with breath to remove any dust or particles from the cuts made.
Carefully re installing all four props, in the right order, twisted gently to finger tightness only, I set the phantom to fly and hey presto, all good.
Now my main routine when finishing flying, will be to pack the phantom away, and remove the props every time........

Thanks to Ben for his support and hopefully the post may help others.

Pull_Up said:
I've just checked that link and CPC are stating they are no longer manufactured?!?! It appears I got one of the last of a dying breed. :cry:

Bleeding marvellous...! Need to get a hairdressing box, they are very sturdy....just need a bigger one than the one my wife gave me.....! Excuse for her to upgrade..

Will report

M

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20