Over in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where you take off is relevant .The phantom can only tell you that it has gone up 400 foot from where you have taken off it can not tell you that it is actually 1400 foot in the air when I have taken off from a 1000 foot high hill ?

The thread is discussing Above Ground Level and in _that_ case, where you take off is not relevant. By saying this it gets the person off thinking about where they launched from and rather the altitude of the drone above it's current location when it comes to AGL.

I think most here understand the concept of AGL. It's just that a few here like to troll and get suckers to bite. Sad part is, there are many that want to listen to the ones giving bad advice.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The thread is discussing Above Ground Level and in _that_ case, where you take off is not relevant. By saying this it gets the person off thinking about where they launched from and rather the altitude of the drone above it's current location when it comes to AGL.

So if I take off at 1000ft from the mountain I can go up 400ft which = 1400ft from sea level correct?

Which surely means if I take off from the top of said mountain I will be higher up in the aerospace making it more dangerous and more likely to have a collision with another aircraft (plane/glider/ufo ).

Swash you are good at 400 feet over the peak. To get a fuller understanding you can research the different classes of airspace on the net or even take a ground flight course.

Remember no matter your altitude it is always your responsibility to yield to manned aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So if I take off at 1000ft from the mountain I can go up 400ft which = 1400ft from sea level correct?
Which surely means if I take off from the top of said mountain I will be higher up in the aerospace making it more dangerous and more likely to have a collision with another aircraft (plane/glider/ufo).
Planes also observe a separation distance from the ground and obstacles. They don't just skim over mountaintops.
The rule that real planes are using in Britain says that they must not fly less than 1000 ft above the highest fixed object within 600m of the aircraft.

Reactions: snerd

I'll stick with the points we were making before and say... forget sea level completely. It does not need to be in the discussion as it's Above _GROUND_ level.. the ground under the Phantom at the time. In your scenario the Phantom is only 400' above the ground.

If I take off in my backyard and fly to 10' I'm 4560' above sea level. Not at all relevant to Above Ground Level.

Which surely means if I take off from the top of said mountain I will be higher up in the aerospace making it more dangerous and more likely to have a collision with another aircraft (plane/glider/ufo ).

Planes use the same AGL rules. So they cannot simply fly 5' over a 500' mountain. It's always important to be vigilant of aircraft no matter where you are flying but you'd still be within the FAA _recommendations_.

Reactions: snerd
I think most here understand the concept of AGL. It's just that a few here like to troll and get suckers to bite. Sad part is, there are many that want to listen to the ones giving bad advice.
Mmmm wonder who your having a go at again :)

You are the one that isn't understanding.
400 feet AGL is 400 feet above ground level.
Unless you are on pancake-flat land, it's not 400 feet above where you took off.
No-one cares where you take off from. It is completely irrelevant.
What is important is how high your Phantom is above the ground below it.

In the example you use, your Phantom is 400 feet above the ground level immediately below it.
No-one cares how high the mountain is above sea level or above the surrounding land.
The height of the mountain is as irrelevant as the location of your take off point.

If you look at the rules pertaining to real planes,(91.119 Minimum Safe Altitudes) in the USA
You'll find they say:
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface
In your part of the world they say: it must not fly less than 1000 ft above the highest fixed object within 600m of the aircraft.
Note that they refer to height above the surface or above obstacles .. not above takeoff or sea level.
This is the standard method for aviation to deal with obstacles and a planet that isn't perfectly flat.
It's a simple concept and I won't waste my effort typing any more explanations for you.
It seems that I don't understand this is why I'm questioning it and your good selves can put me right , I seem to be upsetting certain members with my questions but that's tough we are here to ask and learn ,so I'm here to stay :)

Planes also observe a separation distance from the ground and obstacles. They don't just skim over mountaintops.
The rule that real planes are using in Britain says that they must not fly less than 1000 ft above the highest fixed object within 600m of the aircraft.
[emoji87]

It's been explained several times here in this thread .... go back and read it again if you're confused.
Sounds like a plan I'll do that right now

Nope still confused
If I want to fly at my local hill site I can launch from the top or the bottom or anywhere else.
i-r8PzgJk-L.jpg

Because you can launch from the top, the bottom or anywhere else, your height above home is irrelevant.
The only height that matters for the Phantom is the height above the ground.
And the only ground that matters is the ground directly below your Phantom ... not the ground somewhere off in the distance where you launched from.

I love the picture [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: swash44
Dont be like that its to scale and the colors are right but the only thing missing is the full size plane just inches above the quad causing a mass press release saying a small man on hill flys drone into jet plane

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great I'm glad you cleared that up for me so I can now fly 1400 in the air and if the authorities nab me I'll just say sorry but I took off from a 1000 foot hill ,I'm sure they'll understand that .....not

You surely aren't as obtuse as you appear in your posts?
You are to fly no higher than 400 feet AGL (above ground level).
The AGL changes with the terrain, it is actually a very simple concept.

Sigh...
No. Once you fly down the mountain to where the ground is now 800 feet above sea level, your drone will have to descend 200 feet to maintain itself at "400 feet above GROUND level."

The ground referenced is the ground immediately below your drone at that moment in time - not the ground you launched from.

lol! Yeah, we have to hold the entire class back for the 2 "slow" students. That used to be what Special Ed was for!

Excuse me I find this very insulting... Please take a look at yourself before calling others snerd!!!

I do find this deeply upsetting as I have a child that has a disability meaning they are in special Ed. I take great offence to this comment.

But as your an old retired American man that has no hope in life you will get away either it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20