Over exposure

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having trouble with the exposure of my videos and pictures.

decided to get a filter as I thought that would help.

doesn't seemed to help.

should I be manually adjusting the setting?

Get a darker ND filter. Or do the less preferred method of adjusting shutter speed to get the exposure you want. This is assuming that you don't have the ISO set real high causing your over exposure.

Oh ok best to get a set of different gradients I guess?

Always been in auto so I would assume it would control the ISO.

Only bought the filter as though the original clear lens even in cloudy conditions images where over exposed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah you need different ones for different situations. In a perfect world auto would do the right thing with all your settings but in reality they can make some bad choices. These cameras are a fixed aperture of 2.8 so they are letting in a ton of light so what you are experiencing with the over exposure is to be expected.

Ok will get a few different ones.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi all,
Having trouble with the exposure of my videos and pictures.
decided to get a filter as I thought that would help.
doesn't seemed to help.
should I be manually adjusting the setting?
First you should work out what's causing the overexposure.
One common cause is having your camera set to over expose.
Other causes can be the brightness of subject matter - if you have a large dark area and smaller light area like your sky, the camera will try to get a good average but that will blow out the smaller light area.
Slapping a filter on won't hep in either situation, the camera will still attempt to get a good average +/- whatever over/under exposure you might have dialed in.

Look in your camera view for the camera exposure data.
See where this one has in blue, EV 0.
If yours has something like EV+2, you have set it to overexpose by two stops and need to dial it back (with the left thumbwheel) to EV 0 (for most shots)
The camera's metering will do a pretty good job without you interfering except for extreme bright/dark compositions.
i-kGtmQ4G-L.png

Reactions: deltamike
Good advice from Meta4. You can also tap on the screen within the camera view to set the exposure metering to that point also. I tend to just toggle the wheel with the histogram active in flight but you often have to make a decision between loosing highlights or shadow detail, like all caneras the sensor has a limited exposure latitude.

I guess it does beg the question as to why he is in auto and overexposed. Either its erroneously keeping the ISO up or its failing to adjust the shutter speed. Another good example of why manual mode on all cameras is the best way to go. But in the end it still will need ND filters for daytime use if you keep your shutter speed where it should be in relation to your frame rate. Unless you opt for using shutter speed to control the light, which as I said isn't the best way to do handle it.

I guess it does beg the question as to why he is in auto and overexposed.
That's simple .. using the left thumb wheel you can dial in under or over exposure in auto or manual.
If you are flying around with it set at EV +2.0 or EV +3.0 the camera will meter correctly and add 2 or 3 stops of overexposure whether you are in auto or not.

Thank you all for your help.

Meta4, you were correct that dial was set far too high.

Went back out this morning at the images are much better.

Reactions: Bob8619
Oh and my recommendation not to use shutter speed to reduce the amount of light getting in only applies to video not pictures. Just to be clear.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj