Outta Juice?

Reaction score
Is there some way of knowing, other than keeping track of the time, when the battery in one's Phantom is getting low during a flight?

Buy a cheap digital timer at any hardware store for $10 and Velcro it to the transmitter. Set it for 5 minutes and start bringing it back when the time alarms. Buy a battery alarm from Hobby King for $5. It plugs into the battery balance plug and emits a piercing sound when the voltage drops to a predetermined level. Measure the voltage before and after on your batteries and note the flying time. Track it for a few months so you know your batteries like your shoes. Watch the red flashing lights on the phantom, steady flashes mean voltage is dropping below 11 or whatever your software set the alarm at. It will land itself, straight down and fast when that happens. May not be in a good place though!

Chezedog said:
Is there some way of knowing, other than keeping track of the time, when the battery in one's Phantom is getting low during a flight?

prior to getting a Futaba transmitter that has built in timers, I used my iPhone timer.
then 2/3 int my flight I'd know it's time to fly home and land.
..and then I'd look for the flashing red lights.

Chezedog said:

you will see the phantom flash red lights when battery is getting low (it detects when the voltage is below a certain level).

Keep in mind, if you just hover it may not turn red. What I do to really check it is fly it close to me so I can see the lights, then FULL throttle straight up for a second or 2. If it starts flashing red when I do that I know im getting towards the end (still have time, but i typically do not change it past that).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20