Outdoor FPV flying in Danger of Additional Regulation in US

Reaction score
A recent article in the AMA's(Academy of Model Aeronautics) journal of Model Aviation tells of an unscheduled trip to DC of the AMA's Government Relations Team due to You-tube and forum videos raising concerns at the Department of Defense, FAA and state and local government. The FAA, DOD and state and loal governments monitor these sites and questionable safe/legal videos have been raising concern. In the unscheduled trip to DC it was one video on Youtube that prompted the trip to advocate continuing FPV flight in the US. In YouTube, posts can be kept private and or out of circulation and still be shared with acquaintances.

If we dont police ourselves, we could face further laws and regulations. At least watch what you post online.

Reactions: Helihover
We had a fellow member on here yesterday claiming he was flying VLOS FPV! Crazy. And this guy claims to be experienced.

Folks if you have your googles on and don’t have a spotter, your FBVLOS. And just because you have a spotter, it’s still not ok to fly a mile away.

Does this actually come as a surprise to anyone? I just hope the admins here (and in other forums) cooperate with investigations and provide member contact information to the authorities when asked for it. It's the only way to protect our sport.

While I agree with the sentiments above, and in an attempt to maintain accuracy, refer to the actual CFR regarding VLOS and 'spotter' (VO) cut/paste from www.law.cornell.edu. Specifically (b) (1) & (2)...

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

So it is 'legal' to fly BVLOS of the 'guy with the sticks' with certain precautions.

Rules are great, and we should all follow them. The only thing is that everyone's flight condition is different so it hurts those who are flying in remote/semi-remote areas like me and many many others. I live in West Texas where there is a LOT of wide open land, and being throttled by laws which work great in more populated areas, just aren't reasonable.

When there is a discussion about more restrictive laws, I can see it is only natural to apply them to the reality of the flyers' environment, but for those who do, please understand we all don't live where you do.

I've seen some flight videos that are really neato, but I would never do them myself due to safety concerns. I won't single any out here and I won't report them like the HItler Youth outing their parents and others when they stepped out off line. Criminal law has culpable mental states which have to be proven in court for a conviction whereas traffic law is mostly without a culpable mental state. Not saying that it isn't, but UAS laws, rules and local ordinances should reflect the culpable mental state of a violator.

Rules are great, and we should all follow them. The only thing is that everyone's flight condition is different so it hurts those who are flying in remote/semi-remote areas like me and many many others. I live in West Texas where there is a LOT of wide open land, and being throttled by laws which work great in more populated areas, just aren't reasonable.

When there is a discussion about more restrictive laws, I can see it is only natural to apply them to the reality of the flyers' environment, but for those who do, please understand we all don't live where you do.

I've seen some flight videos that are really neato, but I would never do them myself due to safety concerns. I won't single any out here and I won't report them like the HItler Youth outing their parents and others when they stepped out off line. Criminal law has culpable mental states which have to be proven in court for a conviction whereas traffic law is mostly without a culpable mental state. Not saying that it isn't, but UAS laws, rules and local ordinances should reflect the culpable mental state of a violator.

FBVLOS has absolutely nothing to do with land. This is always the rule breakers first response.

FBVLOS has to do you (the operator) not being able to see what’s around your craft, not what’s on the ground.

Essentially I agree with all posts above. To me, the best answer is to avoid posting risky or otherwise questionable flights in social media.

I know im just as guilty as the other 99% of you from flying over a mile away. But I dont own FPV goggles, but im still in wrong for going over mile away just using a tablet.

Just saying.. most of us are guilty for flying beyond visual sight.

I know im just as guilty as the other 99% of you from flying over a mile away. But I dont own FPV goggles, but im still in wrong for going over mile away just using a tablet.

Just saying.. most of us are guilty for flying beyond visual sight.
Actually, I believe the FAA considers flying from the screen/tablet/phone/map as FPV as well.

VLOS is unambiguous. I didn't get the impression that DW63 was implying otherwise by use of a Tablet.

VLOS is unambiguous. I didn't get the impression that DW63 was implying otherwise by use of a Tablet.

No Impression needed.. Im just saying that Im just as guilty as the rest of us even though I DONT fly using goggles. And YEA,.. I know what the "RULES" are. Not A human alive that can spot a drone the size of a large bird a mile away not using some kind of device. I would be lucky to see one 500Yrds. Im in process of taking the 107 test. I already took the course.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94