Out of warranty and DJI won't replace motor for free

Reaction score
While I was flying on the mountain, right after taking off, when the aircraft was about 40m away from, got this message,

upload_2017-2-13_23-36-19.png

And the aircraft decelerated, yes it decelerated... as it fell like a stone....

Luckily it was in the forest instead of highway or street, and nobody got hurt.

I sent it to the repair service to get it fix, as one of the motors does not spin, and as it is older than a year they want to charge me for it.

I understand that it is not under warranty anymore, but this is an internal error that can actually cause a huge problem.

Does somebody has any recommendation, advice?

I get that message at sea level and it doesn't affect my flight performance. What elevation is the mountain you were flying from?

Over a year and bad stuff happens to these things, especially since these gizmos fight with gravity and loose when they give up. Heck, some don't make it as long as yours has.

I was surprised the chap in this thread ( http://forum.dji.com/thread-84475-1-1.html ) had three batteries fail in 4 months of non-use. Worse was the fire that erupted out of one and burned some of his belongings and Apple computer from the photos. Does seem like DJI is willing to pay him for the issues caused by the flaming battery which is good on their part.

Inspired me ( <-- Get it?) to go out today buy a zippered Li-Po bag or ammo can today for these things. The Velcro flap ones flame out the sides and the zippered ones on Youtube seem more resistant to flame outs where the things overheat and blow up.

Get it fixed and go and fly it again. Maybe try another brand if not. But aerial stuff still can go bad in time with bad consequences with Mother Nature or Father Gravity.

I understand that it is not under warranty anymore, but this is an internal error that can actually cause a huge problem.

Does somebody has any recommendation, advice?
I don't understand why you say "DJI does not give a.." for what you mean about it being an "internal error."

Your quad had a motor fail. You sent it in for repair. Your quad is out of warranty so they gave you an estimate for repair. Sounds completely normal to me.

Chrysler isn't replacing the radiator on my Jeep for free, because it's well out of warranty. I don't expect them to. Why are quads any different?

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect DJI to repair my drone for free after it's out of warranty...
There are plenty of videos on YTube that show how to replace the motor(s) yourself and the motors are for sale on-line as well...
You just need to make sure you order the motor that you need = CW or CCW... If/when my P3 makes it past Warranty, DJI would probably be the last place I would send my P3S...

Reactions: Suhail78
Just my 2 cents....

Like others have posted, crap happens then stuff gets broken. Sometimes you can predict it and sometimes you can't.

Unfortunately even though these drones have 4 motors, they don't have redundancy in the event that something goes wrong with one of these motors in flight. If a single motor fails, down goes the drone.

That being said, at the start of each flight I run a mental check list to try to identify anything that can cause my drone to fall out of the sky. After each flight I do the same. I always spin each motor before flight to check for any resistance. If I had a motor that was different, I would replace it right away as mentioned above if it fails, things break.

To the OP, it sounds like this happened out of the blue for you so maybe no warning. It sucks, but I don't necessarily think this is DJi's responsibility.

Clipper707, you might want to look into the same message before you suffer the same outcome. I have never seen a message like this and if I did, I would figure out why before my machine would have anything but test flights.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Count me in with the sentiment with the above members, your thread header is wrong (just click bait). DJI had nothing to do good or bad with this issue. You want advice, stop whining for no good reason, and change your thread header to something more correct. Like " had issue with my motor today"

Count me in with the sentiment with the above members, your thread header is wrong (just click bait). DJI had nothing to do good or bad with this issue. You want advice, stop whining for no good reason, and change your thread header to something more correct. Like " had issue with my motor today"
I've edited thread title.

OP seems to be a bit of a forum troll. I asked him questions on his other post to diagnose what is wrong. No response there and it doesn't appear here either.

Sorry for the late reply. You guys are right, the thread title was not accurate, my bad.

I got my drone back, I paid for the repair and now it flies perfectly, I hope it does not go down again.

Thanks for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic