Out of Sight

Reaction score
Too scared to let my Std travel out of eye sight. How do I overcome this problem. Been flying for over 3 months now and am quite confident except for this next stage.

Test RTH ten times in a row. When you see it works perfectly ten times in a row, you will find a lot more courage.

Reactions: 66Fury
Once your used to watching altitude and know the area your flying in well even with the bird in sight concentrate solely on the screen. Do simple maneuvers allowing you to get your orientation. I started going a bit further over water with the end of a long pier for orientation. Slow and steady + practice your RTH.

Sirachie P3A

Same here Bella I have not seen a need for going out of my sight yet, may I in the future not sure. I try to stay pretty close to the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I do not think, technically, that we are supposed fly out of sight. Are you asking the question because of an impending mission requiring a long flight.... or do you have a compulsion to fly out of visual range?

Too scared to let my Std travel out of eye sight. How do I overcome this problem. Been flying for over 3 months now and am quite confident except for this next stage.
Bella, you're not the only one that's a bit chicken to fly out of direct sight. I flew mine behind a stand of trees to see if I'd lose signal (or control) and I found myself holding my breath until it emerged unscathed on the other side. Why I was holding my breath you say...? Don't have a clue. Watched the screen on my iPad too as it went, and still was a bit nervous. But, I had to try it so I know what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Use your video monitor to look for obstacles

Bad advice. The monitor gives no depth perception and the camera is only good for the 94 degrees the lens sees. Everything else in not visible.

There's a reason the regulations stipulate VLOS flight only.

Bad advice. The monitor gives no depth perception and the camera is only good for the 94 degrees the lens sees. Everything else in not visible.

There's a reason the regulations stipulate VLOS flight only.

You can move the camera around...

Is there a reason why you need to go out of LOS? If not, don't worry about doing it. First time I flew out of LOS I was getting a shot of a building and did not realize how far back I had gone until I lost all signal. I was forced to press the RTH button (only time over the past 2 years).

I felt the same way as you which is why I didn't buy an Adv or Prof. After the RTH kicked in once and I saw it return in action, there isn't a flight that goes buy that I take it out of range and wait for RTH. Just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31