Out of control

Reaction score
Third time now have had complete OOC situation. Happened with GoPro, and also without. Flying beautifully 11+ minutes. then for no apparent reason or change in controls, the Phantom wants go berserk mainly in right hand direction. With some input I can crash land it. I have gone straight to calibrate and it tells me not needed. Did it anyway. Also recalibrated compass. All of that is OK. Fly it again and it seems OK, but next 2 flights, same result. I can no longer trust it in any situation. Fortunately, I have been on football oval or large parkland in each instance.
Wanted to get the Zemuse gimbal, but now can't risk that. I do have a different gimbal attached though..
BTW, these are solid machines. I got a broken carbon fibre prop on the 2nd last OOC experience but on each occassion the Phantom has come out unscathed. As has the GoPro.(didn't have the camera on the last prang)
Any one had similar?
And any suggestions please.
cheers
Skypics1

You seem to get quite long flight times, for having a gimbal, and GoPro. What are your battery protection levels
set at ?

Do you think it's possible the gimbal is stealing power needed by the Naza during its last moments ?

I don't believe the aux power from the phantom should be used to power a gimbal. Yes, I have a history.

The low weight of an 800mah battery is better than sharing the power.

11 minutes is way too long unless your battery is much better than the stock.

My 2 cents

D

I've had the exact same situation. For a few months, it behaved very well -- crashes mainly due to my errors. However, I've been getting the same issue. It flies well for most of the time and then all of a sudden it takes off to the left at high speed. I've done the same things as you. I've recalibrated everything. I replaced the compass and recalibrated that.

The one thing I've noticed which may explain what's going on is that when I tried recalibrating the transmitter, when I pushed the roll stick to both ends, I was getting -995 to +995, like I'm supposed to. When I kept pushing back and forth, all of a sudden, I was only getting 0 to +995. That makes me think that one of the 3 wires coming from the rheostat (or whatever it is) to the main board is intermittently coming loose. Certainly, something like that happening during flight could cause the Phantom to fly like mad in one direction. When I opened the controller, there was no obvious issue, but you can't really see where the wires are soldered to the stick end since it's behind a piece of plastic.

I'll try to look at that in more detail and may try a different transmitter.

Hi Guys, thanks for all your input . Greatly appreciated. "sfmillburn" situation sounds identical. I will do a thorough check in there.
Before take off, I do all the checks and wait until full warm up and have my single green before flight. Have always had very good flight times with the supplied DJI battery. Up to 14 minutes without gimbal or camera. Gimbal only; about 9 -12, and gimbal with camera about 8. Depends on flight conditions and how it's flown. (I tend to very gentle)Only crashes I've had are with this problem. I think if I was quick enough I could have turned off tx and hoped for RTH. When it last crashed, the motors were still running so I picked it up and held it (with difficulty) and turned off tx. It did seem to go into RTH mode by the sound of the motors. However, when it does go berserk, it does it with such ferocity it's automatic to try to fight it rather than give over to RTH and prayer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj